Lightning

Dealer is trying to charge me $5K over invoice for '01 Lightning!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2001, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the closest svt dealer to me here in nj, that i know of is WAYNE FORD, in WAYNE, NJ. back in 96, they had a MYSTIC COBRA, i think they only got the one, and they wanted 5,000 over stick price for it. i remember exactly what it said. car listed for $28,180, and it said "MARKET ADJUSTMENT" ---- $5,000, on a separate sheet of paper stuck to side window, with a grand total of $33,180. i was extremely interested in the car, i wanted a 96 cobra so bad when they came out, and i would kill for a mystic colored one! but i had my mind set i was not paying sticker price, let alone a dime over sticker. it didnt take much talking at all to get him down to the normal sticker of $28,180. but i insisted on telling him i wouldnt pay sticker, i dont care how rare it was. anyway, so a few months later, i got a 97 red SS camaro 6 spd. but getting back to the story, any 99 or 00 lightning i have seen there has also been marked up with the same type of add on sticker to the side window. it was either $2,000 or $2,500 mark up. its just like someone said above, someone will walk in there, fall in love with it, and have to have it and pay more than they have to. dealers are smart in their own way, they read you and they see what they have to work with. if they feel you love it so much, that you will basically pay anything to have it, they got you right where they want you. if they feel you may just get up and walk out, you got them right where you want them, most times. ; ) when you go there, dont seem so jumpy, that you gotta have it. tell them there is a nice camaro/trans am or vette you have your eye on too, but if they can make a good deal, youll sign the papers there instead of at the opposing dealer, hehe sorry for such a long post everyone. later all, Mike : )

[This message has been edited by SLP 97 CAMARO SS GUY (edited 02-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by SLP 97 CAMARO SS GUY (edited 02-06-2001).]

Old 02-06-2001, 06:47 PM
Red face

Well, Shelly, I guess you just needed to vent, or lost interest, or something. So if anyone else on this board is interested in purchasing a black or white 2001 for MSRP here in Southern Calif. in the next couple of weeks, you have my e-mail link above. And no, Steve, I am not in the car business, and will not make any money off of this, although I might score a bottle of Patron on the deal.

Old 02-06-2001, 06:51 PM
If you are in Calif. and want to purchase an L at MSRP., I can get it set up and you can fly down and pick it up (the ticket will be paid for). I'll personally turn it over to you.

Yes, black is the perfect color.

If interested, you can call me at (800) 826-FORD

------------------
Jim
Jim@FordMotor.cc

Black 00, #1008 of 4966, 4.10's, SuperChip/R9, JL’s Ram Air,
AIM 2" drop, AutoMeter Boost and A/F Gauges, chrome wheels,
Cobra Throttle Body, Mobile1 w/FilterMag
2000 E320, 1993 Cobra R, 1959 Corvette, 1949 Plymouth Coupe

Old 02-06-2001, 08:02 PM
Alphadoggy,

Sorry I haven't emailed you back, but I'm still at work and don't want to send you a msg from work, would rather do it from home! My big thing is getting a good price on my Cobra for a trade in. I'm rather upside down in the loan right now (I owe $24K) so I'd like at least $21K for the trade. I know I'll probably never get that though My guy at Peyton Cramer was going to bury some of that negative equity into the new truck, because I don't have much money to put down.

You can email me at s351@mskwik.com, or I'll send you a msg tonight after I get home.

Thanks for the help,

------------------
Shelley
'99 Saleen S351 Speedster
'98 Cobra coupe

Old 02-06-2001, 10:37 PM
What dealer in cinti had it for less than sticker? I'm from there, I would be glad to drive back if I can't do good here in Chicago.

Old 02-07-2001, 12:16 AM
Hey Shelley, did you decide to keep the S351??

If you can't find any dealers down in LA, try www.fremontford.com. It's up here in the Bay area. They are selling them for MSRP, no mark ups. I ordered mine a few weeks ago, and the sales guy said there is only 12 people waiting for an 01. He said their alotment will be around 33.

Just a suggestion. Might be worth to fly up here and drive about 300 miles back.

------------------
00 S281 Speedster - 312 rwhp 383 rwtq
98 GSXR-750 - 123rwhp
01 Lightning coming soon.

[This message has been edited by DennisG (edited 02-06-2001).]

Old 02-12-2001, 09:31 AM
I just came back from California. And the dealers out there do get big money for these lightnings.Chicago is not much better but I was able to deal some what.

Old 02-12-2001, 09:43 AM
Just an FYI:
I traded my 1998 Cobra about a two months and recieve 20,500 trade. I worked out the best deal on my 99 Lightning and then mentioned the trade.

------------------
99 Lightning, Bassani exhaust, JL Ram Air, Superchip(JL Programmed), Level 10 shift kit. No ET yet.
Sold- 98 Cobra. FM 2 Chamber, K&N, Steeda Triax, 4.10's, MAC offroad H. Best Cobra 1/4mile 13.8.
Sold- 96 Z28 ATI Procharged 13.5.

Old 02-12-2001, 01:06 PM
I got my red 00' from Ken Grody Ford in Fullerton. Talk to Derek. They charged me list when other dealers in the area were $5000 over. They also took my 130,000 mi 95' cobra for $8000. Walked in and drove out with the L the same day. Because it was their last one of 2000, and red, I didn't have a choice of colors. I am happy with the deal I made. In So. Cal. where there is such a stigma on "image", the dealers will take advantage of this and mark up these vehicles. Have you priced a PT Cruiser here?
Good Luck.

Red 00"
Pro-M mass air
Swanson Chip
******** bed cover
Daily driver 17,000 mi. and going strong

Old 02-13-2001, 01:09 PM
Peyton Cramer Ford is known to be a rip off.
They totally screwed me while I was there last year in their service dept.
Walk away from those a$$holes, you can get it for MSRP almost anywhere.
While you're there, go kick that service guy who works in his little booth right in the ***** for me K?

------------------
'96 White Cobra Coup
'01 Sliver Lightning ordered

www.geocities.com/trm6346

Old 02-13-2001, 01:13 PM
Try a "Salary-Based" dealership.
Like AutoWay.
I bought my truck for $5000 under MSRP there out the door.
Not a Lightning, but it is a Lariat 4x4 Ext Cab with 5.4L. Was kinda hard to find at the time in Florida. They are great with pricing.

Old 02-13-2001, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Am reading these Lighning price threads with great interest as I am going to get one in 2003.

Not to put down your state, but it sure seems that if you live in California, you just better bend over and take it in the rear on just about EVERYTHING (vehicles; energy; gasoline; real estate...you name it). Why do the citizens put up with it?

------------------

'97 F150 Supercab XLT; Pacific Green; 4.6l; B & M ShiftPlus; Bosch Plus4s; 3.55; ABS; 17" whls; Towing Package; Gibson dual exhaust; Waldoch Conversion (Custom Paint/graphics, powerslider rear window; walnut dash trim; overhead console; F'glass 'boards); ARE fiberglass bed cap; JVC Head unit & 12 disk changer; Prince compass/temp RV mirror; Anti-theft.

Old 02-14-2001, 12:42 AM
MY LOCAL FORD DEALER WILL SELL A L 1200 BELOW MSRP THEY ARE A NO HAGGLE DEALERSHIP I GOT MY 5.4 FLAIRSIDE REG CAB XLT FOR CLOSE TO 21 AND IT WAS A SPECIAL ORDER I GOT IT 3K ANDSOME CHANGE BELOW MSRP WHEN THEY OTHER FORD DEALERS AROUND HERE WHERE QUOTING MY 1500- 3000 OVER MSRP IF THEY COULDGET ONE...SO IF ANYONE IN THE MIDWEST IS LOOKING FOR AN L TRY FRED JONES AUTO COLLECTION IN OKLAHOMA CITY THEY ARE AN SVT SALEEN AND ROUSCHE DEALER....DROVE BY THERE THE OTHER DAY ON MY WAY TO WORK AND THEY HAVE A NEW HD F150 SITTIN ON HTE SHOWROOM FLOOR

Old 02-14-2001, 01:55 PM
Location: Beautiful Fort Worth in the Great State of Texas which is part of The Best Country on this Planet Earth, The U.S.A.!
Stopped by my local Ford dealer this morning as they had a red 2K L sitting in the used car lot.

14K miles, tires with about 30% life left, many scratches all over, very deep ding in drivers door, "Asking" $30,995!!

I told the salesman they were high.(As in stoned) hehe

He proceeded to tell me these trucks were selling for $36K all over the country and this was an excellent price! Again I told him he was high.

Old 02-14-2001, 02:12 PM
Wink

LOL Seattlesnake, was his name "Michael Rose"? I got into a HUGE argument with him back in 1997 when I had my Saleen S281. I had a problem with the idler pulley squealing, and they kept installing a new serpentine belt, thinking that was the problem. The THIRD time I took the car in for the same problem, he called and accused me of putting a different belt on the car, because my underdrive pulleys didn't use the factory belt! I said that was bull****, my mechanic used the factory belt with the pulleys, and that their service dept. had changed it out. He then told me my pulleys were causing the problem, and that they wouldn't warranty the car, then hung up on me! I was so mad, I called the Service Director. He admitted it was the idler pulley (and a Ford TSB to boot!), and did the warranty work for me. Jeez! I've never taken my car back there again, and I would certainly never take my S351 over there!

------------------
Shelley
'99 Saleen S351 Speedster
'98 Cobra coupe

Quick Reply: Dealer is trying to charge me $5K over invoice for '01 Lightning!