Lightning

Need input on gauges please........

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007 | 01:59 PM
|
Need input on gauges please........

OK I've searched, but haven't gotten the answers I need. I am at the point of adding gauges to my swap, and my question is does everyone use the electric gauges? Or analog? I would like to use the Ford Racing gauges, and monitor the Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure, and Boost and the engine and tranny temps. Where is the best priced place to get these and do i need electric or analog? And would it be better to just get an Aeroforce scan gauge with all of the extra sensors? I am trying to be budget conscious right now with all the funds going to the swap. Any advice?

Old 08-10-2007 | 07:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

You'll basically want all electrical gauges with the exception of the boost gauge. There is an electric boost gauge, but it really doesn't do enough special things to justify the price tag. The electrical fuel pressure gauge is probably going to be the most expensive. It certainly was for me. As for the engine coolant and tranny fluid temp gauges. I suggest getting one gauge, either water temp or trans temp, get an additional sender and then wire in a switch to where you can monitor both areas with one gauge. That will eliminate the need for two gauges and save some space. It's not really that hard either. You just get a 3 pole switch, run a wire from the center pole to the sender pole on the back of the gauge, and then run wires from the other two poles on the switch to the senders for water and trans temp. If you need any help with this let me know. I have been running this set-up for over a year and love the fact that I don't need an extra gauge to monitor my trans fluid temp. You can get an extra sender anywhere Auto Meter gauges and supplies are sold.

I would also recommend getting a Wideband gauge with any forced induction application. It's cheap insurance IMO. Do a search for gauges and you'll find plenty to read on the subject.

Quick Reply: Need input on gauges please........