Lightning

Steering problems anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2001 | 10:05 PM
|
Unhappy Steering problems anyone?

Has anyone else experienced really "loose feeling" steering? It seems like my L has a lot of play in it. When I go over certain grooves or bumps in the road, it seems like it has a mind of it's own and wanders everywhere. Anyone else?

Thanks,
Justin

------------------
'99 Black Lightning #0055
UPR filter & adapter, R9 Superchip, chrome wheels, best time: 12.95 @ 104.28, 1.87 60' on F-1's

Old 02-20-2001 | 10:14 PM
Talking

That is exactly the way my truck felt when my drivers side control arm was moving because of the famous slipping bolt. It's related to the "Clunk". Once you get the clunk fixed the wandering and darting will go away. Promise......

------------------
Dave

dgoetsch@socal.rr.com

2000 Red SVT Lightning

Performance Mods:
Superchip R9
JL 12" Powerstack Air Filter
Magnaflow Muffler P/N 12568

Appearance Mods:
Snugtop Snuglid
Line-X Spray-in Bedliner
Stull Billet Grilles
Clear Corners
Super White Bulbs
Tinted Side Windows
Lightning Hitch Cover

Many more to come.......

Old 02-21-2001 | 11:35 AM
|
I have had the moving bolt fixed last November. I also had new bearings put in the steering column 2 weeks ago. This still didn't fix the "wandering around."

Justin

------------------
UPR filter & adapter, R9 Superchip, chrome wheels, best time: 12.95 @ 104.28, 1.87 60' on F-1's

Old 02-21-2001 | 11:42 AM
KGM
Can't say for sure what your problem is or how long you have had it but large tires and bad roads equal funny steering. Have you owned the truck since '99?

Old 02-21-2001 | 11:50 AM
|
I have owned the truck since August, and I have put almost 10,000 miles on it. It has always been steering a little funny.

Justin

------------------

Old 02-21-2001 | 01:10 PM
I had the problem with the erratic steering on my 99. Ended up having to change out the lower control arms. Don't know if the slotted washer was part of the fix too. May have. Had the notorious "clunk" sound as well and a few loud "bang" noises on different occasions when turning the wheel.

Even after the fix, on rutted asphalt roads and the like, the steering has a tendency to seem to pull one way or the other. I attribute that to the large tires.

If you are interested in checking out the control arms, do a search on "redlite" and check out my January 2000 post (if it still there). I listed the lower control arm part numbers required by SVT. Then check yours for a little yellow sticker with the same part number on them.

Old 02-21-2001 | 02:10 PM
mines been bothering me too. i think my old 97 xl had tighter steering. i was gonna take to the shop in spring and see what they can do .i hope they can do something cause its driving me crazy .

------------------
silver 00
99 flht
lots of bills

Old 02-21-2001 | 03:55 PM
Mine was erratic and choppy when I first got it. The solution was to have it aligned again about a month after I got it. Apparently the factory alignment isn't very closely watched. The wide tires just exacerbate the problem and make it very noticible.

Alignment is something that you really need to keep an eye on. Your dealer will align the truck once ofr free during the first 12k miles, after that, it's on you.

Hope this helps!

------------------
The

wyldman@houston.rr.com
Black 99.5 Lightning Build # 1273, DOB 5-14-99, NLOC #315

Old 02-21-2001 | 04:16 PM
Redlite,

The control arms that you had put on by Ford are the same ones that they took off. I've had it done also. :-( Get some washers, or have it welded. The washers are a far better sano fix.
Just my 2cents.

HJ

Old 02-21-2001 | 07:55 PM
|
Thanks guys for all your help. I am going to take it back to the dealer to see what they can do, if I can keep them off the throttle! I was so mad when I picked up my truck, saw 2 long patches of rubber in the lot, and my trip meter was reset!! Talk about pissed. I really don't want to take it back to them, but I don't know what else to do!

Thanks,
Justin

------------------

Old 02-21-2001 | 09:43 PM
Banned
juicemac78 - Just do what I did when I took mine in after a similar problem. First get a carpenters crayon. Draw a line across the tread on one or more of the tires when you get to the dealer (back tires are the best). Follow the service writer out to your truck. He will write the mileage down. When he does ask him what it is and let him see you write it down. Show the service writer that you have marked the tire(s), noted the milage and tell him why. Also tell him that the better part of the line had better still be on the tire when you pick the truck up from service. Tell him that if they plan on test driving the truck for more than 1 mile you will need to be present. Tell him what happened the last time you brought it in and that you will not tolerate your truck taking that kind of abuse again. You don't need to threaten but let him know that you that you don't intend to take any crap on the way your truck is handled while they work on it.

I had to do that one time. Now my truck is usually washed and sitting in the shade when I arrive to pick it up.

------------------
Rick

White 00 #2236 of 4966

My Mods & More

Old 02-22-2001 | 12:01 AM
Talking

How was the moving bolt fixed? When my dealer "Fixed" mine they just put some lock washers on it and tightened it up "Real tight". It lasted a couple months then started moving again. I finally solved the problem by buying the special "Slot Filling" washers from Action 911.

The "Clunk" and poor stearing are gone for good....

------------------
Dave

dgoetsch@socal.rr.com

2000 Red SVT Lightning - Built 6/26/00 #4197 of 4966

Performance Mods: Superchip R9, JL 12" Powerstack Air Filter, Magnaflow Muffler P/N 12568

Appearance Mods: Snugtop Snuglid, Line-X Spray-in Bedliner, Stull Billet Grilles, Clear Corners
Super White Bulbs, Tinted Side Windows, Lightning Hitch Cover, Many more to come.......

Quick Reply: Steering problems anyone?