Lightning

RaceLogic Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2001 | 06:45 PM
|
Question RaceLogic Traction Control

Could this be the answer to our traction woes? Full throttle off the line! Full throttle at 30mph without killing yourself.

I've been doing some research into add-on electronic traction control systems. A lot of people are using the RaceLogic system, made by a British company... The euro-car guys / mags really like it, I even found it being used by the Saleen people. And I think someone posted the Racelogic link here a while ago too..

Fairly simple concept: Monitor wheel speeds via ABS sensors, if one or more start slipping (moving faster than the others), cut fuel on individual clyinders to reduce power until wheel spin is controlled. Wheelspin can be dialled in from 0% to 20% (I think 10% is ideal for maximum acceleration).

Lots of info on the Racelogic Homepage and the US Distributor's Homepage

I talked to the owner of the US Distributor at length. He is fairly sure it will work. I warned him about all the low-end torque. He asked for HP and torque numbers and dyno plots and he will verify operation with RaceLogic. He has hooked the unit to Mustangs, so hookup with the Ford ECU should not be a problem. The Distributor is in the Long Island, NY.

Questions: Opinions on if this will really work? I assume our fuel injectors are "standard", not like our ignition systems. Any issues with feeding compressed air thru the motor (no fuel)?

-Dreamin
araja@megapathdsl.net

Old 02-19-2001 | 07:07 PM
Question

Sweet Jesus, what is this mother going to cost? Looks like a must have, to me. GP, anyone?

------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

'84 Alan Record Carbonio, Aerospoke wheels, Campy brakes.
'00 SVT Lightning, silver, built 2/9/00, #133 of 4966, G-tech Pro, JBA headers, 4.10 gears, Swanson chip, Pro-M, NGK plugs, carbon drive shaft, Roadmaster suspension kit
13.39 @ 102.5
2001 Kevlacat 2400, twin 115 Evinrude FICHT, Raytheon VHF, radar, autopilot and GPS chartplotter/fishfinder.

gmvye@pacbell.net

[This message has been edited by alphadoggy (edited 02-19-2001).]

Old 02-19-2001 | 07:24 PM
Cool

That is Killer. I want one!! I bet it's not cheap

------------------
GalaxyEng
2000 RED #2926
BedRug, Haig custom mats

Old 02-19-2001 | 07:29 PM
|
Basic system: ~1 carbon fiber driveshaft worth.
Basic system + Adjustable Slip Control: ~1.4 carbon fiber driveshafts worth.

Seriously, $800 & $1100.

Old 02-19-2001 | 09:53 PM
That's what we should have from the factory. I want it!

------------------
2000 Silver Lightning 13.82 (stock)
PSP 4-way
PSP Filter Kit
Snug-Lid
In the works:
PSP Pulley
Level 10 shift kit
Level 10 converter
4-Link
2000 Mercedes ML430 16.01 (stock)
1996 Donzi Z-33 (Twin 502's)81mph
In the works Muzzy ZX12-R 200++ mph 9.94 (stock)

Old 02-19-2001 | 10:00 PM
Most traction control systems apply per-wheel braking to limit traction problems. We already have limited slip to reduce lateral slip.

Cutting power doesnt seem to be a solution to me. A practiced driver should be able to balance on the edge of traction and get better times.

Also, if it only cuts fuel, that sounds like a great way to destroy an engine. Dont lean conditions already cause damage to plugs, etc? A combo of this system and NOS sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Am I just misunderstanding how this works?

Old 02-19-2001 | 10:00 PM
Question

Would this be a good thing to cut fuel to a supercharged engine already chip-tuned to run on the lean side? Just wondering if it might burn a piston or two. Just call me a party-pooper. If it cut spark and fuel, then there's no problem.

Old 02-19-2001 | 10:06 PM
Arrow

Hmm. Actually, they answered most of my questions in their FAQ:

http://www.bavarianparts.com/catpage/All/rl.html#faq

I'm not 100% sure I buy it, but if its used in race applications successfully, it may be Ok.

Old 02-19-2001 | 11:51 PM
There needs to be a certain percentage of fuel in the cylinder for it even to ignite! If there is not enough fuel in the cylindewr then it will not ignite and no lean condition. I believe they cut 50-75% of the fuel . This same type of system is used in alot of cars..volvo for example uses a similiar traction control...porsche does as well. Its a simple way of controlling power output.....dont worry its very safe!

Old 02-20-2001 | 02:08 AM
Cool

I read the FAQ again. They cut 100% of the fuel on that cycle. No fuel, no ignition, no heat. The price actually seems like a bargain for what it purports to do, but I wonder how much the installation runs and how to find a qualified installer.

The more I ponder this, the more I think it is a must have addition. But I still wonder how much the install is going to cost me?

[This message has been edited by alphadoggy (edited 02-22-2001).]

Old 02-22-2001 | 10:41 AM
thanks alpha... been along time since I was at the racelogic site...geeze last time I was there was when I posted the info about em on this site...thanks for teh reminder..
seb

Old 02-23-2001 | 10:29 AM
Hi guys, I'm from Racelogic, and we are keen to get you to try one of our systems on a vehicle.

They are 100% engine safe guaranteed, we sell direct to Aston Martin, and Lotus Cars who have done exhaustive tests to determine their safety.

How about one guy test the system for half price (100% money back if not satisfied), and report back to the others ?

Then a group buy could bring the cost right down.

Just a thought,

Julian Thomas
Racelogic

Old 02-23-2001 | 10:31 AM
Julian,

I'll try it. E-mail me at...

Timburntire@aol.com

Old 02-23-2001 | 11:49 AM
I would love to be the guinea pig

------------------
Jim
Jim@FordMotor.cc

Black 00, #1008 of 4966, 4.10's, SuperChip/R9, JL’s Ram Air,
AIM 2" drop, AutoMeter Boost and A/F Gauges, chrome wheels,
Cobra Throttle Body, Mobile1 w/FilterMag
2000 E320, 1993 Cobra R, 1959 Corvette, 1949 Plymouth Coupe

Old 02-23-2001 | 01:13 PM
I do not believe the intended purpose of such a product is to give optimum acceleration performance. I believe it is a product designed for safety only. I have a 96 Corvette auto which has ASR. When activated it absolutely kills the performance of the vehicle when it detects wheelspin. It applies the brakes, releases throttle and retards timing. Granted this is alot more than this system you have shown, but it does not simply stop rear wheelspin--it kills performance. There is no way that alittle box like this that is just a generic box will give a fast enough closed loop system to simply eliminate wheelspin but still apply power fast enough to maximize acceleration. Granted I don't know anything about this product or how much it costs, but I don't think it's intended purpose is what you are thinking.
Just my .02 worth.

Quick Reply: RaceLogic Traction Control