Lightning

Fuel Filter the cause??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter the cause??

Ok,

my tune was coming great, and I datalogged for rick at amazon on Friday.. got my tune friday afternoon.. it was great.. I had a few kinks to work out with A/F at certain Throttle positions nothing big... so.... I was almost done... and then... I decided to change my fuel filter because I was doing some exhaust checking and had my truck on a lift, I also did a tire rotation...

anyways.. I came home after I put the fuel filter in... on the way home didn't notice much of anything... becasue I had the stereo up loud and I was kinda beating on it..

I parked it for the last 3 days... my wife goes and drives it this morning to run some errands, and when she gets back she tells me about this hesitation when pressing the throttle for a few seconds... SO, at this time rick had sent me my final tune.. i put it on thinking it might just be an anomoly.. Nope.. when I floor it.. I get a plume of black smoke... backin out of the drive way when I put it in Drive and press the gas.. I get black smoke... it goes to 9:1A/F for a split second, but its enough to casue a weird hesitation and black smoke....

I thought I bought a cheap fuel filter from Autozone... so I went tonight to NAPA and got another one... Still doing it... again, the fuel filter was the only change between driving.. and I cannot figure it out.. is it possible I have been tuning with a bad fuel filter, and then put a clean new one in and it screws things up? My old fuel filter the one I changed first was dirty when I pulled it off...

What else could it be... I checked my tps voltage, my COPS are good and my plugs are fine... the truck cruises fine its just that weird hesitation that it wants to die when I launch.. whether WOT launching or neighborhhod driving.. it freaks out everytime I press the gas from a stop, and sometimes when I give it gas on the road to speed up it drops to 9:1 A/F

I sent a bunch of datalogs to Rick, hopefully in the morning he will have some answers... I really hope its just a matter of the tune from the change of fuel filter, if thats even possible????

thanks for all your input in advance...

Old 09-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by KwikSilvr
Ok,

... I decided to change my fuel filter

anyways.. I came home after I put the fuel filter in... on the way home didn't notice much of anything... becasue I had the stereo up loud and I was kinda beating on it..

I parked it for the last 3 days...

when I floor it.. I get a plume of black smoke...

backin out of the drive way when I put it in Drive and press the gas.. I get black smoke...

it goes to 9:1A/F for a split second, but its enough to casue a weird hesitation and black smoke....

What else could it be... I checked my tps voltage, my COPS are good and my plugs are fine... the truck cruises fine its just that weird hesitation that it wants to die when I launch.. whether WOT launching or neighborhhod driving.. it freaks out everytime I press the gas from a stop, and sometimes when I give it gas on the road to speed up it drops to 9:1 A/F

Seems to me it's too noticable of a problem now for you NOT to notice it right after you changed the filter and drove it home (kinda beating on it "in your words"). Maybe something else happen ??? maybe the wife was out there doing 6500 RPM Smokey's ??? hell who knows maybe she drove it in 1st gear for a few hours ??? ok ok just a little humor relax

At any giving time a wierd problem such as you described could pop up and drive you crazy (believe me I've been there and have done that w/ my old 02)
There are so so many things that could all of a sudden happen and create a fuel issue / Air Fuel issue. I guess yes your filter could have been crazy clogged and you tuned to it and now your crazy rich. But I'd be more willing to guess it's in the tune if you've been messing with that lately. I experienced
simular weird hesitation problems in my old 02 and they were tune related.

As for what else to check I would put new plugs in first off, you'd be surprised how weird of a reading you'll get A/F wise with a bad plug.
I would also check every Vac Line, Sensor Connection, Electrical Connections, etc.. GOOD LUCK

Old 09-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Plugs are clean...

Im thinking somethings up with my maf...

it does not do it if I accelerate with less than 5% throttle...

only when I give it some gas from a stand still...

I checked my plugs, and the test ones seem fine... but... my A/F gauge is only on my drivers side...

I need to pull a plug on the drivers side to see it too...

my wife did not do 6500RPM smokys.... ha.. she's to scared of it to do that...

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter the cause??