Lightning

need new brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007 | 09:06 PM
|
need new brake pads

today, i finally installed the new hotchkis blilstein shocks and noticed that i need new front pads real bad. the truck started squealing a little bit when stopping for the past 3 days. what do you all reccomend? change all four, just the front? what are good replacement pads? and about how much are we talking about for the pads?

Old 09-10-2007 | 09:16 PM
Hawk HPS is my recommendation for a performance street pad. Great initial bite, good fade resistance. Moderate dust levels, average rotor friendliness.

Replace the rears only if you want. There is no inherent need to run matched pads front and rear.

Male sure to bed any pads properly with a series of 60-0 HARD stops, with no cooldown in between. Keep doing this until the brakes start getting soft and stinky (you may see smoke), then drive long enough to cool them down before stopping.

If you've bedded them properly, the rotors should be blued.

If you skip this step, you may not get good initial bite.

Also, if your brake fluid is old, take a turkey baster and remove all fluid from the reservoir, then refill with new fluid from a sealed container. Then bleed all four wheels until the clean fluid comes out.

Old 09-11-2007 | 02:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I agree with Tim. HPS all the way.

BTW, if the front brakes are only squealing a little and not doing it all the time, your pads might not be worn out. Sometimes a lot of dust will cause the brakes to squeal a little. If the pads were worn down to the squealer you would hear the squeal all the time.

Old 09-11-2007 | 05:35 PM
|
thanks all, hps it is. just gotta find the time to install them

Quick Reply: need new brake pads