Lightning

Should I screw them?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about putting a 1/4" washer on with the 3/4" Moroso screws? That would make them 1/2"...

Old 10-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Mark them, run and recheck. If, after the first 2-3 runs they're still moving (slipping) then screw them, otherwise leave them be.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by SWThomas
What about putting a 1/4" washer on with the 3/4" Moroso screws? That would make them 1/2"...
That is going to look real bad. I wouldn't do it that way.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by 03LightninRocks
That is going to look real bad. I wouldn't do it that way.
Why would it look bad?

Old 10-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Why would it look bad?

The screws can be seen from the front of the wheel. Now picture a washer behind that making the head of the screw stick out even more.

I really don't know that Don is on to anything with his concern about the screws. The screw is only about 5/8th inch if your not measuring the head of the screw. I just checked it. I have never had any problems created because the screw goes all the way through. Your not suppose to torque the damn screws down anyway. The Moroso 90100 screws are the same ones I have watched everyone use. I am running about the same HP you have and have been running at that level for a couple years now. I have been through multiple sets of slicks...more than I can count... on my Bogart wheels...15". Screws and tubes are going to save you lots of problems. I know there is always somebody that does it half *** and gets away with it. That doesn't mean it's right. My flame suit is on.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:51 AM
call the man that makes bogarts,,,,he designs them to be unscrewed,,,,,the tires tighten under load

dante used my tires and wheels when he put the bottom of the front tires above the K-rail ,,,,im sure it will work for the rest of us

Old 10-30-2007, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by lightninquick
call the man that makes bogarts,,,,he designs them to be unscrewed,,,,,the tires tighten under load

dante used my tires and wheels when he put the bottom of the front tires above the K-rail ,,,,im sure it will work for the rest of us
So they made that 10.0 pass with unscrewed slicks???

Old 11-01-2007, 12:45 AM
So they made that 10.0 pass with unscrewed slicks???
yes,,,,,,the wheel will let the tire spin slightly,,,,,but thats it,,,it will tighten up quick

this was straight from the horses mouth (bogart)

the wheels and tires were originaly gary soulage's,,,,,so low 10's were the norm for these tires and wheels,,,,,all with not one screw,,,,,they have tubes also

fwiw

Old 11-01-2007, 01:09 AM
I am willing to bet the tubes are helping to minimize the spin. still, it seems like allowing the tire to move, even if slightly, will eventually bind the tube or even cut off the valve.

Way back...like 2 years ago...I spoke with a fellow at Bogart who claimed to be the head cook and chief bottle washer at Bogart. I believe his name was Rich...but I can't bet on it at this time. Anyway, he and I had a long talk about screws. He told me that I should try it without screws and mark the tire/wheel with window chalk(the stuff we use to put numbers on our windows). He said if the movement exceeded 2 inches, put screws in them.

That sounds a lot different than what they told you..."no screws needed by design". I know without screws, my Bogarts will spin on occasion...actually most occasions. Maybe I can get a free replacement set since it sounds like mine are defective...

Last edited by 03LightninRocks; 11-01-2007 at 01:12 AM.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:07 AM

I'm going racing this weekend. I'll test them and see how much they move. If the spin a lot I'll screw them. If it's minimal (2" or so) I'll leave them as is.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:35 AM
I am willing to bet the tubes are helping to minimize the spin. still, it seems like allowing the tire to move, even if slightly, will eventually bind the tube or even cut off the valve.

Way back...like 2 years ago...I spoke with a fellow at Bogart who claimed to be the head cook and chief bottle washer at Bogart. I believe his name was Rich...but I can't bet on it at this time. Anyway, he and I had a long talk about screws. He told me that I should try it without screws and mark the tire/wheel with window chalk(the stuff we use to put numbers on our windows). He said if the movement exceeded 2 inches, put screws in them.

That sounds a lot different than what they told you..."no screws needed by design". I know without screws, my Bogarts will spin on occasion...actually most occasions. Maybe I can get a free replacement set since it sounds like mine are defective...

one of the big mistakes alot of us do,,including me,,,is to have too low of tire pressure. we use real low tire pressure as a fix-all,,,instead of softing the rear a bit. if we are running 10 or 12lbs in a tire that is designed for 16,,,well the tire might slip

Old 11-03-2007, 10:04 AM
I broke a sweat just reading about all the screwing,,, I need a beer!

Old 11-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by lightninquick

one of the big mistakes alot of us do,,including me,,,is to have too low of tire pressure. we use real low tire pressure as a fix-all,,,instead of softing the rear a bit. if we are running 10 or 12lbs in a tire that is designed for 16,,,well the tire might slip
Wow...10-12lbs!!!!!! I run 16-18lbs. Mine spun due to torque and H.P. over whelming the wheels/tires. Air pressure wasn't the issue.

A thought here. When a guy at brand XX wheel company speaks of the need for screws to someone with a Lightning. Brand XX guy was probably not fully aware of the forces at work for such an unusual combination. I bet if someone with a top fuel car called, the answer would be different.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Wow...10-12lbs!!!!!! I run 16-18lbs. Mine spun due to torque and H.P. over whelming the wheels/tires. Air pressure wasn't the issue.

A thought here. When a guy at brand XX wheel company speaks of the need for screws to someone with a Lightning. Brand XX guy was probably not fully aware of the forces at work for such an unusual combination. I bet if someone with a top fuel car called, the answer would be different.

very good point

you win,,,,im screwing them now

Quick Reply: Should I screw them?