Lightning

Front drag springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front drag springs

I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of springs JDM is selling as their Front Drag Springs? I've heard that they are stock V6 F-150 front springs. What's the difference between these springs and the stock Lightning springs that make them better for drag racing?

Also, for anyone that's running the JDM springs, how are they on the street?

Old 10-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Old 10-29-2007, 04:29 PM

It may be so, but I'm just not buying that JDM is making their own "custom springs".

Old 10-29-2007, 08:29 PM
They could possibly be hypercoil springs, similar to what Ruslow sells....

unless an owner of said JDM drag springs can find a ford part number stamped on a set, I doubt JDM would go through the trouble of grinding off the numbers and repainting them.

I see that they are longer and lower spring rate......

Last edited by pitstain; 10-29-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by SWThomas
I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of springs JDM is selling as their Front Drag Springs? I've heard that they are stock V6 F-150 front springs. What's the difference between these springs and the stock Lightning springs that make them better for drag racing?

Also, for anyone that's running the JDM springs, how are they on the street?

You know i have heard this too man, let me clear it up........

JDM DRAG SPRINS ARE NOT V6 F150 SPRINGS

Now they are a custom rate that we found and use at a specific height. They are a heavy duty spring, much thicker coils than the stock or V6 springs. The are softer and with the combination of that and the height they give a really nice almost trampoline effect. Lifting the front up and moving the weight toward the rear. If the rest of your suspension is set up right these springs have made a big difference in the way trucks launch and 60 foot. Not to mention your the coolest guy at the track when your lifting the front wheels in your pick up.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Gonna find out a bit this wednesday at Atco as to how they perform. Street manners are fine, but definately not for driving corners hard.
Jim

Old 10-30-2007, 03:54 PM
I have them and they work GREAT and the price is good too, no need to shop around .

Old 10-31-2007, 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by JimIII@jdm
You know i have heard this too man, let me clear it up........

JDM DRAG SPRINS ARE NOT V6 F150 SPRINGS

Now they are a custom rate that we found and use at a specific height. They are a heavy duty spring, much thicker coils than the stock or V6 springs. The are softer and with the combination of that and the height they give a really nice almost trampoline effect. Lifting the front up and moving the weight toward the rear. If the rest of your suspension is set up right these springs have made a big difference in the way trucks launch and 60 foot. Not to mention your the coolest guy at the track when your lifting the front wheels in your pick up.
So if you want a lower stance does it hurt to take a link out?

BTW thanks for clearing that up about the V6 rumor. I hear the Mustang guys do that so I bet that is were it started.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:12 AM

Sounds good to me. I'll be ordering a set pretty soon. I guess they can't hurt anything...

Old 10-31-2007, 08:57 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Her2001
So if you want a lower stance does it hurt to take a link out?

BTW thanks for clearing that up about the V6 rumor. I hear the Mustang guys do that so I bet that is were it started.

If you want a lower height they will still work but they do work best with a little height to them. Remember upon install it will take about a week for the springs to settle, so it will appear high for a bit. I have had people take them out right away and cut them then 2 weeks later the truck is too low! So be careful of that. If you can strapping the truck down to a trailor will pull the suspension down and probably allow you to wait overnight to see what it looks like settled.

JimIII

Old 10-31-2007, 09:59 AM
How much are the springs? I don't see them on your site. How would they work when used in DJM upper/lower control arms, would they be too low then?

Old 10-31-2007, 10:48 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Incogneto
How much are the springs? I don't see them on your site. How would they work when used in DJM upper/lower control arms, would they be too low then?

They will work with the DJM arms and they are $180

jimIII

Old 10-31-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by JimIII@jdm
If you want a lower height they will still work but they do work best with a little height to them. Remember upon install it will take about a week for the springs to settle, so it will appear high for a bit. I have had people take them out right away and cut them then 2 weeks later the truck is too low! So be careful of that. If you can strapping the truck down to a trailor will pull the suspension down and probably allow you to wait overnight to see what it looks like settled.

JimIII
Well said, Jr.
Spencer, you should look at my truck. I cut 1/4 coil from the JDM front springs. At first, I thought we didn't take enough off. It sat 1" higher than the stock height. After about a week, it was barely lower than the stock height. I drive my truck enough that I didn't want it too low for speed bumps, or if my wife drove it, she wouldn't hit curbs when parking.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:14 PM
I am a believer! 1.484 60" time today, by far my best so far. I need to raise the pressure in my slicks more, and stiffen the rear shocks until I lose bite. I think I can gain more forward motion with some adjustment.

Jim

Old 11-02-2007, 11:42 AM
I have been using these springs for 2 seasons with great results. I cut a loop out of mine since my truck is lowered and still sixty foot in the mid 1.4x's.

Quick Reply: Front drag springs