Lightning

Calling Factory_Tech

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2001 | 02:40 PM
|
Post Calling Factory_Tech

Hey Factory_Tech,

It seems like you are the man when it come to a 4R100 transmission question.

I've gone through 2 complete 99 4R100 transmissions and I suspect that my 3rd new one is starting to slip again. If you where to make the R100 bullet proof what would you do to it? I'm not looking for a shift kit, I'm interested in a robust foundation, something that should never slip or break again.

I would appreciate your suggestions as in clutch plates, types and manufactures, and what ever else springs ect....

Thanks,

Old 03-19-2001 | 08:32 AM
Man,
You've broke 2 4R100's? What on earth are you doing to it?

The 4R100 is pretty bullitproof as it is, the Lighting model even more so. What exactly has been wrong with the otehr two?

As far as mods, (free plug), my kit does give you more strength and a better shift strategy if you don't mind stronger shifts.
Stonger shifts make for less wear on the plates and clutches, but some people like niice soft ones, it's a matter of preference.
You already have cast iron planetary assemblies (most gas 4R100s have aluminium), in '99 you had the "sprag" assembly that apparently is holding up better than the mechanical diode. ( I can't figure out why, the sprag is plastic, the diode is powdered metal, but hey, the Lord works in mysterious ways) Everything about a '99 is pretty much state of the art as far as the 4R100 is concerned, so really I think you need to look at what is causing your failures before I could give you any suggestions. I would reccomend an Art Carr Transmissions performance torque converter, but other than that teh box is a monster and you must have other issues causing you to tear them up (unless you drive like Don Garlits on speed)

Wish I could be more help,

G

Quick Reply: Calling Factory_Tech