Lightning

01 crate motor replacing 00 w/ engine rattle update w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001 | 11:56 PM
|
Post 01 crate motor replacing 00 w/ engine rattle update w/ pics

Well here is the latest on my problems with the 00 motor rattling at 3500 rpms. They are replacing the entire motor with what appears to be a complete 01. This seems to include the new intercooler and all. My service rep was not available when I stopped in with my camera for severe interrogation. I am curious as to whether they are aware they are going to have to replace the computer, harneses, MAF, O2 sensors and who knows what else. I will know more when I speak with her tomorrow

I spoke with the service manager and he tells me that SVT is very interested in my motor and gave specific instructions to remove the whole thing intact very carefully and ship it to SVT immediately. Maybe they are going to do a little research on what is causing this particular problem.

Here is a link to my Zing album. I created it just for this occasion since I dont know how to post pics in my messages. So I hope this URL will get you there.

http://www.zing.com/album/?id=429286...77&mode=invite

Sam

Old 03-20-2001 | 12:08 AM
Nice Motor

I'm no expert, but I will try to explain how to post a pic. Once you have it at your zing site...
-you RIGHT click the photo(the size you want)
-click on properties
-copy url for photo
-paste url between [img]url here[/img]

I hope that makes sence, if not...sorry

[This message has been edited by Spiro99SVT (edited 03-20-2001).]

Old 03-20-2001 | 12:13 AM
Keep us posted. When they replaced my engine because of knocking they swapped the '00 blower, IC, upper manifold with the '01. This is standard practice to date, so don't be surprised if they end up doing the same on your truck. If they do install the entire 2001 engine with no component changes I would be very interested to hear. Hope all goes well with the change-out.

------------------
Silver 2000 Built 5/26/00
#3299 of 4966
Bone Stock
SnugTop Tonneau Cover

Old 03-20-2001 | 12:26 AM
KGM
SCC...Is your truck stock? Just wondering if they asked any questions like what weight oil have you been using etc. Glad you got a new one out of them.

Old 03-20-2001 | 12:32 AM
Can you describe the rattle a little more? I have a rattle at around the same RPM, but it goes away after it warms up. It sounds like it's coming from the driver side of the engine, almost like an EGR valve is bad or something.

------------------
K&N
downs Intake(piece of *****)
JL flip
Best ET: 13.266 @102.938
Best 60'1.910
Best Stock ET: 13.54@100.8
1.968 60'

Old 03-20-2001 | 12:48 AM
|
Spiro: Thanks man I will give that one a shot next time. Always wanted to know how to do that!

Dogman: I know that the standard procedure is to swap over the entire 00 induction system from the old setup and thats what I thought I was going to get. The service mgr said that Ford wants the entire old motor so who knows. Its not in there yet so you might be right but I hope not

KGM: The truck did have an Airraid on it and it had a chip in it for a short while. They did not ever ask me any questions about mods or oil. I put the recomended 5-30 Mobile 1 of course. Truck had 5500 miles on it. I returned it to stock when I took it in. It made this noise before I even made any mods to it, let me make that clear.

modd69: What happens is right before shifting mostly noticable between 1-2 shift at about 3500rpms with little boost for about half a second it will rattle real loud like a metal grinding noise. It would do it hot or cold. The thing that got me to take it in was I was going down the highway with overdrive off and got it to that rpm range and played with the throttle for a bit (was tough looking at dash and hauling down the tollway at 90+) and I got it to make the noise for about 30 seconds solid. Knew I had to take it in after that bout. Thought that baby was going to blow!

Sam

Old 03-20-2001 | 06:49 AM
Thumbs up

SCC2000L:
nice motor, I hope they do the entire 2001 engine for you. Keep us posted.

------------------
Bill
'00 white lightning-#2030 of 4966-4/6/00 thursday
muth mirrors,door key pad mod,fog light mod,
clear corners, super white; headlights,corners,fogs,
trenz billet upper and lower grills, billet 3rd brake light cover,
Bedrug, harley davidson tonneau cover,
JDM flip chip, JDM lower pulley, 90mm mass air, JDM tranny mod,
JDM 5"aluminum driveshaft,
J.L. stage 2 ram air kit
BellTech 3/4 lowering kit
2001 tails installed
20" chrome lightning wheels on order
more to come....
my zing albums-_-click here-_
'00 harley davidson FLSTC tons of custom parts..
'99.5 nissan pathfinder le-STILLEN EQUIPPED
'88 toyota show truck(TONKA)
'91 toyota mr2 turbo (to many mods to list)
'00 yamaha banshee(toomy race kit/chrome pipes)

Old 03-21-2001 | 01:08 AM
|
Talked to the dealership today and they told me again that they are going to do a full 01 update to the truck. The engine is in the truck and they are waiting on all of the harneses, computer, MAF, etc... My only question for them is are they going to put those 3.73 gears in there since the computer is programmed to think they are already in there? It would be nice to have that extra umph but I mostly want that computer working properly. I just hope this all works out okay when its all said and done... no problems. I will know more in the next day or two and will let everyone know.

Sam

Old 03-21-2001 | 01:17 AM
Smile

You might be setting precedence for all '99-'00 owners. Especially those of us who had the partial engine change. But most importantly, you'll be getting the new IC. You will be much envied by the rest of us.
Keep us posted.

------------------
Silver 2000 Built 5/26/00
#3299 of 4966
Bone Stock
SnugTop Tonneau Cover

Old 03-21-2001 | 01:26 AM
Talking

SCC2000L...send me an e-mail..I wanna chat..

jwinein@earthlink.net

This is getting interesting YES..YES..YES...this is the right stuff...perhaps...Ford....

Old 03-21-2001 | 09:47 AM
ttt Wow! I can not believe this post has not immediately received flaming status. IMHO this is the most important post on this site to date concerning warranty concerns to 1999-2000 Ford Lightning owners! Ford is apparently now concerned.

Old 03-21-2001 | 09:59 AM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Ford is concerned becuase the dealerships cannot play stupid look in headlights like with our intercoolers. They told me to my face that my intercooler was fine. After I told them I just filled it up. I told them to call up SVT, and they dont really care.

"Your intercooler is fine, we let it idle for hours, pressure tested it, and it seems okay. We did not notice any leaks."

I told him the leak was inside the engine, just like what SVT should have told him. He said something to the effect that they checked it (meainging the inside of the engine) and its fine. That was 3.5 months ago. I told him 500 miles, and I'll be back. Time to head back. Its down about 1/2"

Back to what I was saying....

I would really like to see a Oscar winning actor that knows even a little bit about cars go for a ride with SCC2000L and tell him with a straight face that his engine was runnning smooth just like it was engineered.

[This message has been edited by Tundra (edited 03-21-2001).]

Old 03-21-2001 | 10:14 AM
|
Tundra: Actually they tried that on me. Told me that that noise was a characteristic of a high performance motor. After informing them of my credentials I told them that that was BS. After that they didnt try to pull the wool over my eyes anymore. I was suprised they did not fight me harder on it.

MadMaxSC: You have mail coming.

I would like to remind everyone that I DID NOT have an intercooler leak YET. The reason the motor was replaced was because of the rattling problem only. I just dont want to get anyone's hopes up and have them get let down. I know the rattle problem is truly a rare occurance as I have busted my hump to find others with the same problem and only have found a few. I wish they would give us all 01 motors and we could close the book on this one.

Sam

Old 03-21-2001 | 10:59 AM
As I have posted before, I had the rattle problem that turned into a full time tap. That was when I took it in. I got the same story you got about sending it back right away for some engineers to look at. It did get shipped back quickly in an otherwise empty truck that came just for it. That was Nov. 99. I wonder if they only stock "new" as in model year engines for complete replacement. I also wonder if they would do the same for a 99 owner at this point?
Tom

Old 03-21-2001 | 11:25 AM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Question

SCC,

Not to question you or your knowledge but what credentials did you present to the dealer prior to calling their smoke and mirrors story BS?

Bob

Quick Reply: 01 crate motor replacing 00 w/ engine rattle update w/ pics