Lightning

blown plug have questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007 | 11:00 AM
|
blown plug have questions

I just got a call from the dealership and they said that i had blown plug #6. They said i had two options. One was to replace the head or use the "heli coil". what is the best option here? If anyone has had a heli coil put in did it fix the problem and how does your truck run now?

Last edited by newsilversvt; 11-19-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-20-2007 | 12:00 AM
I just tackled this job myself. My truck is and has been BONE stock since the day I drove it off of the showroom floor. It blew out a plug at 85k miles. Its an 02. I read about this product that comes highly recommended from Ford even though they won't acknowledge that there is a problem with these engines spitting out plugs. http://www.locknstitch.com/

I used a kit from NAPA. It was straight forward and easy and has netted GREAT results thus far. My truck was nice enough to spit out a plug that was easy to get to though.

Old 11-21-2007 | 07:04 PM
A lot of people use Time Sert inserts. If you use grease on the flights of the tap you can do it while the head in on the motor. Also use a bore scope to check for metal shavings or use a tube on the end of a shop vac to get any shavings that fall into the cylinder. There is also a type of high temp thread locker to ensure the insert never comes out with the plug.

http://www.timesert.com/html/sparkplugford.html

Old 11-24-2007 | 11:44 PM
Ive repaired more heads than this question has been asked here.

I only use Time Serts. Ive seen all of the others and not one is close.

Quick Reply: blown plug have questions