Lightning

engine upgrades need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine upgrades need help

I was wanting to ask you lightning fans who have more car smarts than me what are the best upgrades for your money. I live in Bowling Green KY home of the corvette and i need to build up my engine to be able to keep up. What do i need to start with? Where is a good place to buy things for them at? Thanks for your help

Old 11-18-2007, 12:00 PM
There are many mods the ones that will give you the best bang for your buck are:

cold air intake

the predator tuner

a four pound lower pully
irridum plugs ( NGK) everyone has their own ideas on plugs.

And most importantly a good tune and tha highest octain gas you can obtain at the pumps.

The stock block can safely handle 425-450 rear wheel horse and still be a long running and reliable engine. The bottem end of these motore are cast not forged.

The facyory exhaust is good up to about 450 and up hp and up. With the boost these mods would make there is no added power gained by changing your exhaust other than for the sound.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:58 PM
what if i want to go over the 450 hp. what would i need to do to the block

Old 11-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
buy a built longblock... put the new whipple 210 blower on it.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Check VT Engines, stay away Coast High Performance for Mod Motors, NOOOOOOO Sean Hyland!!!!! No DSS You pay for what you get.

Livernois is ok, but I wasnt impressed with them putting together a S197 for a shoot out and their motor was leaking oil.

Proline Racing Engines (they build motors for Tim Lynch 5.0 outlaw 10.5" record holder) A slightly higher price, but one of the higest quality built motors you can find.

Did i Mention NOOOOO Sean Hyland.

You can also give Tim Barth @ MPH a call www.modularpowerhouse.com

Last edited by riceh8r; 11-18-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:59 PM
just out of curiousity why no sean hyland? i was at a race and saw some guys with SHM sucks shirts on.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:44 AM
search his name and/or company on here and you'll see all the negatives about him. Basically they build totally crap motors and have terrible customer service. I may be getting him confused with another builder but like I said just search for a sec.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:46 PM
If you do some research you'll see theres a quite a few good builders in the L community, Dante, Boss 330 Racing, JLP, JDM, PSP, JJ just to name a few and they all have there fans, by searching some old posts you'll see the good and ugly, personally I'd deal with JDM, there close and have always been great to me not to mention they have a very solid motor program, JJ would also be on the list as he seems to be doing it right, big power and great customer service but look at the list above they all can put you together solid packages. The holidays are here so you may see the xmas short block special, it's a good time to be shopping.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:00 AM
I forgot boss 330, they are excellent with 4v's. JDM is also one to go to. Tim Barth @ ModularPowerhouse did a Lightning that had 700rwhp built motor & a KB

Quick Reply: engine upgrades need help