Lightning

Swapping Upper Pulley Out

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swapping Upper Pulley Out

Is there an online source that shows how to loosen the SC belt so I can slip it off? Or is this fairly obvious when I poke under the hood? I have a pulley tool to get the press-fit off. Any special tools needed other than that?

I was looking for a Ford Lightning pdf file that details the SC pulley tension and the idlers, so if you know of one, point me to it.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:47 AM
All you need is a ½” ratchet with a cheater pipe, it fits in to the tensioned bar, and turn it clockwise, and the belt comes off.

Their is a drawing on the fan shroud that shows you how the belt is routed, just in case you don’t pay attention before you loosen it.

As far as R&R the pulley, you will need the same tool to install the new hub, it’s about a hour job, one person can do it, but it really helps if you have a spare set of hands helping you out with the removal and installation tool.

The job is a walk in the park, enjoy!!!

Old 11-20-2007, 11:58 PM
Yeah... my 1/2" drive torque wrench works just fine, belt loosens up real easy. I'll do it Friday morning and I think it'd be good to have someone to hold the bar sticking out the side of the tool while I back it off. My fan shroud is different because i have a eFan.

I also have a Metco auxiliary idler with 100mm idlers and I was wondering whether the belt that is on the truck will work with the 100mm idlers? I'm going to get a new one when I change out the lower... but I was just wondering.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Sounds good, I also had the LFP efan, but after about 5 years it failed, so I went back to stock. The engine information tag is really located on top of the plastic panel that covers the radiator, and hood latch. (Many owners actually remove the tag, it’s kind of tacky)
The belt pattern is fairly easy to follow, and it’s hard to install it wrong, I guess you could if you really wanted to, but it only really fits one way.

As far as the Idler gears, I also have the LFP idler gear along with 2 lbs upper, if I was to do it over, I would have just purchased a 6 lbs lower, and not messed with the top.

I’m experiencing a bunch of belt slip, and have replaced the belt about 5 times, (different sizes and makes) I’m now thinking that the tensioned bar might be the problem, you always need new a new belt when changing pulleys..

I’m really considering going back to stock on top, and just messing with the lower pulley.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:31 AM
All one needs is a long ½” breaker bar..

Quick Reply: Swapping Upper Pulley Out