Lightning

Stock T/B a real mess / Mark S (Lightninforce) quality and service (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2001 | 10:03 PM
|
Talking Stock T/B a real mess / Mark S (Lightninforce) quality and service (Long)

Well, I got my oval T/B today from Mark S. I saw a couple of posts a while back that asked what it is like buying parts from him, so I'm able to answer after ordering my FRPP T/B from him. Painless is the word. Very good customer service and near-instant replys to e-mail. Plus, he reverses the TPS switch so you don't have to fight the horribly tight OEM screws. And, he TIG welds a brand new Lightning cam lever on so you don't have to fool with supplying another cam-arm or "patch parts" to make the cruise control work. Cost to me in Ohio from Texas was $399 shipped. I installed it tonight, and the truck loves it.

On the other subject, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my original, OEM T/B. The front of the bores were clean, but the backside of the blades were a cruddy, caked, nasty, oily, mess, even after running synthetic oil for my truck's entire life, (after 1.2k) which consists of 9,700 miles and 1 year.

Something is wrong here people, terribly wrong. No wonder the I/C's are dropping like flies - contamination IMHO. I haven't posted about it, but lately, I've noticed a 5-10 hp power loss. It just acts like its choked. I bet the I/C is nearly blocked off with crud and not breathing. Check out the pics and see for yourself.

OEM Front

OEM Back (Check out the mess!!)

Front of my new T/B

Back of new T/B

Mark's TIG welded Lightning arm

I am happy and the truck runs great with this mod. But we need to figure out how to keep from polluting the intake tract with engine oil and it's by-products. I figure my K&N valve cover breather of 30 days ago has alleviated 50% of this problem.

Well, I'm off to Bristol to watch the NASCAR races. Too bad #3 ain't there.

------------------
Jim
Black '00
#1,757 built 3/30/00
Clear corners
JDM street program
JDM 2# blower pulley (ordered)
J.L. Stage II ram-air
FRPP Oval throttle body (ordered)
90mm MAF
MagnaFlow Exhaust

Old 03-23-2001 | 10:11 PM
Banned
When I replaced my stock TB it looked just like yours. Nasty mess if you ask me. I'm changing the oil in mind this weekend and I'm going to check the back of the TB while I'm under there.

------------------
Rick

White 00 #2236 of 4966

My Mods & More

Old 03-23-2001 | 10:31 PM
|
I forgot to mention this. For those of you that plan on keeping your stock T/B, you might want to check and see if you're getting TRUE WOT. Mine was not as you can read from the thread I posted a while back. https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/009974.html

Tonight I measured it. It was 1/4 inch off of being WOT!! Not from the gas pedal, but with me twisting the T/B arm. So you might want to check it. (Hidden HP, but be CAREFUL - I assume no responsibility!!) I think there was a bad batch of T/B's in March 2000. Not all of yours will do this.

Rick, don't even bother looking. You'll probably get sick if it's been on there a while.

------------------
Jim
Black '00
#1,757 built 3/30/00
Clear corners
JDM street program
JDM 2# blower pulley (ordered)
J.L. Stage II ram-air
FRPP Oval throttle body (ordered)
90mm MAF
MagnaFlow Exhaust

Old 03-23-2001 | 10:36 PM
Banned
It shouldn't be too bad. I haven't put more than a hundered or so miles on since I installed the single blade TB.

By the way, you heard anything on the JDM pulleys?

------------------
Rick

White 00 #2236 of 4966

My Mods & More

[This message has been edited by ****** (edited 03-23-2001).]

Old 03-23-2001 | 10:57 PM
gforce,

Ditto here. My original t/b is nasty looking as well. Really worries me. I brought it up to the service manager here and basically got nothing more than a "hmm". How many miles did you have on it b-4 you removed the stock t/b?

------------------
Black '00

Old 03-23-2001 | 11:38 PM
Talking

I’ve posted photos of the stock throttle body before and the nasty coating that is on the back side of the throttle blades is sprayed on at the factory. It is not a build up of oil or some nasty crude. It has a purpose and that is to seal the circumference of the bores. If you exam the stock throttle body you will see their is a Pee hole in each of the throttle blades. This hole is missing on the FRPP throttle bodies and there is a controlled gap around the circumference of the blade Therefore no coating, as this would create a problem. Interesting that you show the oval bode throttle body with the Cobra R blade. The initial design release action stated that 330 of these throttle bodies were to be built for the Real Cobra R and that all-subsequent release would have the SVO markings. As for the complete opening of the throttle body, the body does open completely and the issue in many cases is with the throttle cable. This is an issue with many of the Ford products and many of the Lightning owners have rectified this.

Open throttle bore of a new stock throttle body and yes it does open all the way. When many of you modify the cam (lever) by shaving material off you are effecting a fix but you are not at the root cause.

[This message has been edited by BABolt (edited 03-23-2001).]

Old 03-24-2001 | 12:01 AM
Thumbs up

I want one, how can I get it!!!!

------------------
2000 Lightning
2000 EB Explorer
1995 Sable
1986 MZB
1966 Mustang
1969 Fairlane 500 Convertible

Old 03-24-2001 | 02:00 AM
Talking

UPS left my T.B. on the doorstep today. The cosmetics do not begin to compare to Mike's billet T.B. The casting is rough and has some pits; not what I would expect to find on a Cobra R, but, regretably, what I am beginning to expect from Ford. However the assembly appears to be very rugged and functional, and the modifications by Mark look to be first rate. And I, too, will vouch for his excellent customer service. I am going to hold off on installing it until I get my i/c fixed, but I have every expectation that it will work fine and improve h.p. and throttle response. In fact, I will be surprised if my OEM T.B. is not screwed up.

------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

'84 Alan Record Carbonio, Aerospoke wheels, Campy brakes.

'00 SVT Lightning, silver, built 2/9/00, #133 of 4966, G-tech Pro, JBA headers, 4.10 gears, Swanson chip, Pro-M, NGK plugs, carbon drive shaft, Roadmaster suspension kit, TransGo shift kit,
13.39 @ 102.5

2001 Kevlacat 2400, twin 115 Evinrude FICHT, Raytheon VHF, radar, autopilot and GPS chartplotter/fishfinder.
http://www.zing.com/album/?id=429389...4647875&idx=15

gmvye@pacbell.net

Old 03-24-2001 | 02:04 AM
Smile

I'm still waiting patiently for Mike to release his polished ones unto the world.

Dan

Old 03-25-2001 | 02:07 AM
Red face

money talks and bull**** walks...Babolt to the Rescue!!! Charge...LOL..I like that one..

Old 03-25-2001 | 02:20 AM
Yeah BAbolt.....any eta's on the billet T/Bs??????also gforce....you think they have anymore of those cobraR throttle bodies???I gotta have one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
red 1994 lightning....oh my god i never expected this thing to keep running this long......130,000 miles and still running strong.........

00 white L...# 1993 build date 4/5/00 JL filter kit 2"drop shackles and JL flip chip billet third brakelight cover, water wetter, mobil 1........later it may get NOSty........

Old 03-25-2001 | 09:29 AM
I thought I would let you all know, replaced my throttle body om my 01 yesterday. The truck only had 70 miles on it at the time and the back of the stock throttle body was already black. It was not as bad as some of those pictured above, but was real bad considering only 70 highway miles.
Brian

------------------
99 red lightning, bassani complete system #1610 of 4000
2000 Lightning, PSP filter/chip, svo throttle body, Bassani, 4.10's
2000 super duty v10
Arctic cat 400 4x4
Cobra "R" #131 of 300
www.svtperformance.com
My vehicles http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4293160925

Old 03-25-2001 | 10:01 AM
PFA
Like BABolt said, the backside of them are black from the factory. The stuff is sprayed on there and then the idle screw is set for flow. This stuff is suppose to represent alot of mileage already put on it so it doesn't have to be reset from build-up.

Old 03-25-2001 | 10:28 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PFA:
Like BABolt said, the backside of them are black from the factory. The stuff is sprayed on there and then the idle screw is set for flow. This stuff is suppose to represent alot of mileage already put on it so it doesn't have to be reset from build-up.</font>
Just wondering this, I just went and checked my t-body and have a oil puddle in front of the blades of the t-body, is this right. my L is a 99 and is stock with 40,000 miles.

Old 03-25-2001 | 10:44 AM
PFA
It's not right but, it is common. Some have fixed this problem by going to a breather element (filter) on the valve cover (?). I believe they did away with the tube that comes from the valve cover, going to the flextube that connects the TB and MAF.

Quick Reply: Stock T/B a real mess / Mark S (Lightninforce) quality and service (Long)