Lightning

hotchkis leaf and coil springs with shackles

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007 | 08:58 PM
|
hotchkis leaf and coil springs with shackles

will it work if i use the hotchkis coil springs and leaf springs with the jlp shackles? is the back going to be lower than the front? what hole do i need to put the shackles in or do i need to put the stockers back on? i want it to be level. any suggestions welcome.

Old 11-26-2007 | 09:28 PM
i had that same set up on my old lightning, (hotchkis lowering coils and hotchkis rear leafs with jlp 2-3-4 shackles in the rear). i had the hotchkis leafs and jlp 2-3-4 shackles in the rear set on the middle hole (3") and had a problem with the truck bottoming out. i purchased hotchkis shocks and made a bit of diff but still had problems from time to time. if i was you i would go with the hotchkis tvs. it will be better in the long run and all the parts are made to go with each other.

this is how it looked.

i miss it every day

Old 11-26-2007 | 10:33 PM
|
did you bottom out on speedbumps? there arent a lot of potholes here where i live so i think ill be fine except for speedbumps. did you bottom out because of the springs in the front or the shackle/spring combo in the back? if i were to put it on the top notch in the shackles do you think it will be fine? idont want to buy the tvs because i plan on getting pulley/tune also at the same time. do you have a pic of your L from the front?

Old 11-27-2007 | 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by hillman
did you bottom out on speedbumps? there arent a lot of potholes here where i live so i think ill be fine except for speedbumps. did you bottom out because of the springs in the front or the shackle/spring combo in the back? if i were to put it on the top notch in the shackles do you think it will be fine? idont want to buy the tvs because i plan on getting pulley/tune also at the same time. do you have a pic of your L from the front?
I bottomed out on the speed bumps all the time because of the *****ty roads in SC. but when i bought the new shocks it was a bit better. maybe i should have bought shorter bump stops.i had it seton the top hole and it looked like i had the flip kit on it and the ride quality was ROUGH. i think in the end though the tvs will be a better choice. i got pics, ill post in a while. im at work

Old 11-27-2007 | 12:33 PM
+1 Hotchkies system with shakels here. I used the 1 inch setting instead of the 2 inch. The rear will be lower if you use the 2nd notch. I rode around for a week before I decided I didn't like it. I was waiting for the springs to settle, so I could see if it was going to level out. Truck sits perfectly level...

Last edited by WigginWilly00; 11-27-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-27-2007 | 07:33 PM
I dont think i have one from the front but in this pics i had it set on the 4" hole with the hotchkis leafs. it sat like 1.5 in above the tires front and back

before the drop

Old 11-28-2007 | 06:14 PM
|
alright so the tvs is just the sway bars and the springs. i was planning on getting the springs and not the swaybars. do the swaybars really make that much of a difference? what if i took the jlp shackles out and put the stock ones back in with the springs, would i still bottom out? i like the way it sits right now, i just want it about an inch or so lower all around. is there any other alternatives?

Old 11-28-2007 | 10:39 PM
do the swaybars really make that much of a difference?
That question is difficult, if not impossible, to answer. There is no set criteria for anti-sway performance evaluation. Further, you have not explained what your goals are.

. . .what if i took the jlp shackles out and put the stock ones back in with the springs, would i still bottom out?
Depends on how big the bump is, but it's safe to say that you would, at minimum, bottom out less.

. . . is there any other alternatives?
To what? What are your goals?

It looks to me like you haven't done a stitch of research. Do a few basic searches, like "hotchkis" (also try the frequently misspelled "hotchkiss") and "sway" and "shackles" and "drop." Start with Subject-only searches and drill down from there.

There is also a bit of suspension info on my Web site (see sig).

Quick Reply: hotchkis leaf and coil springs with shackles