Lightning

what kind of chip

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007 | 12:24 AM
|
what kind of chip

what kind of chip is everyone running in their L's. All input is appreciated.

Old 11-29-2007 | 06:44 AM
Most run a Hand Held Tuner these days like the Diablo Predator or the SCT X-Cal II. The X-Cal II is def the better choice.

A hand held is much better because you can keep your current tune in it and send the devise back to the tuner for tweaks while still being able to drive it.
Or they can e-mail you a tune and you could upload it in the puter and then install it in the truck. Plus you can read and clear codes, plus do some light data logging (I think) and in rare cases where the tuner doesnt lock it, you can even tweak the tune yourself.

As for Chips they're pretty obsolute these days BUT they do have their advantages like being able to change tunes at the flip of a switch while your driving. The biggest hassle is if your doing mail order tuning, then you need to pull the chip and mail it back (leaving you no tune in the truck and most likely grounded til you get your chip back)

If you go Diablo you do not want an old Red Chip, you want a new Black Chipmaster Revolution Chip, If you go SCT you dont want the old Superchip, you want the new SCT Superchip that hold 5 programs

and there you have it, what kind of chip 101

Old 11-29-2007 | 08:58 PM
I went through the superchip(old one) then sometype of tuner a blue one(sorry I can't even remember) then after a dealer flashed the computer I ended up with hte SCT X-cal 2. I got a few more hp, and torque, but what impressed me was the fuel savings. I went from 200 to 220+ on a tank of fuel. I'm in the city 99% of the time so that explains the mileage. I've had no problems with the SCT tuner.

Last edited by cluster; 11-29-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2007 | 10:53 PM
i use the pred. tuner, and its been great for me, but along with that on top of everything its always best to go get ur truck dyno and tuned by a professional, that will give you the most for your money for sure, but the tuners are deff nice to have to read trouble codes and do the data logging if ur into doing that. im got one more mod im waiting on before i go get my truck dyno and tuned...its all in what u want of course performance wise and all...but im not downing the tuners at all!

Old 12-09-2007 | 03:34 PM
DIABLO 3 bank for me. If your looking for one I got an autologic 2 bank one I used to use.

Old 12-23-2007 | 02:33 AM
I use a Predator and a Revolution chip, thus having 3 tunes to choose from depending where I have my boost controller set

I wouldn't recommend an AutoLogic chip on a Gen 2 Lightning as they can only modify 1 of the 4 banks of the ECU and some parameters that need to be adjusted can't be.

Old 12-23-2007 | 02:37 AM
Nevermind...

Quick Reply: what kind of chip