Lightning

I Wanna Buy A LIGHTNING!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007 | 02:32 PM
|
I Wanna Buy A LIGHTNING!!

Ok guys, obviously new here. I'm from Titan Talk and have seen a few of ya there from time to time. I've been dumpin money into my 4dr 2wd Titan and the damn thing is soooooooo heavy it takes insane hp/tq #'s to move it. It has quickened up from 15.8stock to a present 13.9. BUT........... I'm ready to get a lightning.. I've always loved them and by the time I could afford to buy it... They stop em!! figures huh
Anyway, knowing what you already know about these bad boys... whick year is the best to buy and mod? I would assume an 04 but we all know about assuming.. Also is there anything I should look for in examing one to buy (all used)??. Some kind of tell tell sign I might need to look for??
help would be much appreciated as I intend to not only use as a daily driver but as a weekend "tracker"!!! Love these trucks!!

Old 12-10-2007 | 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Paparyno
Ok guys, obviously new here. I'm from Titan Talk and have seen a few of ya there from time to time. I've been dumpin money into my 4dr 2wd Titan and the damn thing is soooooooo heavy it takes insane hp/tq #'s to move it. It has quickened up from 15.8stock to a present 13.9. BUT........... I'm ready to get a lightning.. I've always loved them and by the time I could afford to buy it... They stop em!! figures huh
Anyway, knowing what you already know about these bad boys... whick year is the best to buy and mod? I would assume an 04 but we all know about assuming.. Also is there anything I should look for in examing one to buy (all used)??. Some kind of tell tell sign I might need to look for??
help would be much appreciated as I intend to not only use as a daily driver but as a weekend "tracker"!!! Love these trucks!!
Stick with an 03-04..They have more threads in the heads for the spark plugs..In the past they kept on poping out.

Old 12-10-2007 | 02:54 PM
|
the 03 and 04's are basically the same aren't they??/ Are there any differences??

Old 12-10-2007 | 03:11 PM
the 03 and 04's are basically the same aren't they??/ Are there any differences??
No.They are the same.

Old 12-10-2007 | 03:14 PM
This might help:

What is the difference between 99-00 and 01-up L's?
99-00:
They came with a smaller intercooler than the 01+ which was prone to leak, if the owner took advantage of it they were replaced with newer 01+ intercoolers under factory recall warranty so check into yours if unsure.
They had an 80mm Mass Air Flow Meter or MAF.
5x135mm wheel bolt pattern and 12mm studs up till 11/99.
Rated at 360 hp and 440 ft.lbs.trq. from the factory-engine not at the rear wheels. There are some other cosmetic differences also but that can be found later.

99 to late 02 have 3-4 threads in the cylinder heads for the spark plugs, 02+ have 8-9 threads and are less prone to spark plug blow out.

Rear gear ratio 99-00=3.55
Rear gear ratio 01-04=3.73

The driveshaft difference. 99-00 3" steel. 01-up 5" aluminum.

01+:
Bigger/upgraded intercooler.
90mm MAF
5x135 wheel bolt pattern with 14mm wheel studs.
Rated at 380 hp and 450 ft.lbs.trq from the factory-engine not at the rear wheels.

03-04 have the updated impeller on the water pumps and are more efficient than 99-02.

03-04:
The only real difference was they come with heavier rated rear leaf springs in the back and thus have about 1" additional ride height from previous years, this was done only to increase the payload. Again some cosmetic differences are present but will be found later

Old 12-10-2007 | 03:29 PM
20K and you can have mine =D
Then I wont have to trade it in the spring for a Terminator

Old 12-10-2007 | 03:57 PM
|
BRUCEWRS... wow and tks for the write up.. very informative..

What do you guys dis-like the most about your Lightnings??

For example.. our Titans are weak in the tranny and rear end. Nissan really keeps a lid on the WOT until @ 40mph to protect both. Also, very limited aftermarket!! Ya kind of reach a TOP at modding with them at @ the mid to upper 13's w/out NX..

Old 12-10-2007 | 03:59 PM
|
Originally Posted by TheBlueHornet
20K and you can have mine =D
Then I wont have to trade it in the spring for a Terminator
probably a dumb *** question... but what is A TERMINATOR

Old 12-10-2007 | 04:18 PM
Mustang cobra.

Old 12-10-2007 | 04:18 PM
thats what they call the mean 03-04 cobras

Old 12-10-2007 | 04:22 PM
BRUCEWRS... wow and tks for the write up.. very informative..

What do you guys dis-like the most about your Lightnings??

For example.. our Titans are weak in the tranny and rear end. Nissan really keeps a lid on the WOT until @ 40mph to protect both. Also, very limited aftermarket!! Ya kind of reach a TOP at modding with them at @ the mid to upper 13's w/out NX..

dislike==going broke modding it.It's a sickness..LOL

Old 12-10-2007 | 04:55 PM
|
Originally Posted by BRUCEWRS
dislike==going broke modding it.It's a sickness..LOL

isn't that the truth!!! same here. That's why I'm finally switchin to something that accepts the mods better and you get more bang for you buck!!.

Old 12-10-2007 | 05:55 PM
Im running bascially stock on my 03 Lightning besides my Magnaflow and Eiback Pro Truck springs.

Pros: Stupid amounts of torque...the truck is a light to light monster and theres not much around that is going to take you. If youre worried, turn the OD off =D It is FAST and can be easily made FASTER. Plus youre going to notice everyone is staring at it...other F150s are giving you thumbs up, some of the other trucks cant help but give em too, and RumbleBees/Daytonas pretend they cant see you and have a little cry. Rice....forget it! Get in the fast lane on the highway and ppl simply get the hell out of your way when they see a slammed full size truck pull right up on them. Welcome to the upper echelon of the streets.

Cons: NOT a highway monster. Youll find cars you can take on the street are keep up/pulling on you. Thats stock anyways =P Not to say it ISNT fast on the highway, but the higher end cars will stand more of a chance out there. Plus the whole auto tranny thing...drop the hammer and it takes a moment to downshift and in that second theyve gained. Most likely youll pull off but it makes racing the high end cars difficult. A friend of mine with an 07 Stang GT (intake rearend and tune) consistantly pulls 1/2-1 car on me from 60 pulls. Sucks in the winter =P Every other day someones gonna pull up to you and yell 'DO A BURNOUT' and before you know it your tires are smoked

If you can deal with these MINOR cons then you should be in the SVTL. If you want a race truck, there is no other option. The SRT10 at stock BARELY squeaks out the L and its got loads more power. Its fast, sexy, and...well that sums it up!

And the only reason Im getting into a Termy in the spring is because its been a dream of mine to own one. I LOVE the Lightning and Ill have a little cry when shes gone, but Im sticking with SVT for life!!!

Old 12-10-2007 | 06:34 PM
|
ok guys, ur gettin off work now... chime in and help me out here. I wanna here more. Talk me into this Lightning(or out of it). It seems like the truck I've always wanted but I definitely don't want to be outrun by a stock Tundra. My Titan is "now" faster than a stock Tundra but it took modding to even the field. Anyway, what kinda $$ are we talkin about to easily put a LIGHTNING into the low 12's???? Is there something else you'd recommend.

Old 12-10-2007 | 07:51 PM
Intake, #4 Pulley and tune...maybe an exaust and youll be looking at a grand or so and thats easy 12s material (450hp500fpt estimate)

Quick Reply: I Wanna Buy A LIGHTNING!!