Lightning

Contemplating selling my truck, need advice for guys that have sold private party.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007 | 12:46 PM
|
Contemplating selling my truck, need advice for guys that have sold private party.

I have a 2000 lightning with 25k miles on it. Not driven in rain for the most part and tried to drive it in the snow once......haha. In real good shape.

I'm thinking about trading it in but i'll get raped becasue the dealer won't know or care what they are getting so i thought about selling it outright through the forums or ebay.

I'm just worried about getting screwed and dealing with shipping the vehicle and all that, just wondering about experiences you've had.

The truck has 25k miles on it with the following mods

-center console mod with power passenger seat
-wet okole seat covers which have been on since new (well on the driver seat, bought the other drivers seat used but it was mint) The covers are faded pretty bad.
-painted trim accessories
-guage pod with fuel pressure, boost, water temp guage.
-steering pod with wide band commander
-kooks long tubes with high flow cats and silver bullet exhaust. Pipes from muffler to tips are rusty real bad
-drive shaft loop
-JDM traction bars
-2" rear drop
-chrome 2000 svt wheels. Chrome is starting to fade and peel a bit
-oem bed cover
-aftermarket bed rug that was in it when i bought it
-jdm interchangable pulley with 2, 4 and 6lb rings
-single blade throttle body
-255 fuel pumps
-sct2400 maf
-what's left of a JLP intake
-electric fan from JDM
-cobra water pump (big deal)
-SCT Xcal 2
-line lock kit
-factory tech valve body with deep sump pan
-street scene chrome grills
-01 heads, corners and tail lights
- 3:73 gears not installed sitting in a box
-has intercooler upgrade done.

No real exterior issues. Couple of dings on the front bumper and scuffs up underneath.

What do you think I could get for it? I'd be wiling to take of the wide band, pullies, guage pod and guages, throttle body, and put the stock tune and take the sct and sell that stuff seperate. Don't think the traction bars are worth taking off and can't do anything with the exhaust.

What is the best procedures as far as taking payment? Bank check and cash it before delivery?

Old 12-11-2007 | 04:18 PM
You typically wont get any value for the mods unless you find someone who is willing to pay for them

Thats why everyone takes them off and sells them separate

10 cents on the dollar would be good for the $ spent on mods if you sell them with the truck

Doug

Old 12-11-2007 | 05:05 PM
Don, If your going to get rid of it- gut the mods, the Bedrug, throttle body, JDM pulley, Xcal2, 3.73's, wideband, gauge pod with gauges, the 2400Maf, drive shaft loop, t bars, line lock, from your list are all sellable and might put 6-7 hundred in your pocket for a days worth of work, If you have it reinstall the OEM exhaust-you have access to a lift, and just sell the headers that's another 3 bill's, you might end up with a grand for a weekend in the garage. Then sell the truck as is for book. If you need OEM parts let me know if I can help I have a basement full-stock headers, air box, VB, pan, pulley ect...

Old 12-11-2007 | 05:29 PM
Go back to as close as stock as you can. Unfortunately mods are not good on re-sale. Sell it with the statement that the buyer is responsible for shipping. Do not release the truck or title until the funds have 100% cleared the bank. Selling long distance is not that big of deal.

Old 12-11-2007 | 05:47 PM
dont post that you want some of the parts or the whole thread will be deleted

Keep it on topic

Old 12-12-2007 | 11:22 AM
|
yeah

this isn't a for sale post. I'm technically not even sure i'm selling it. I'm just contemplating whether i'll get much more money selling it rather than trading it in and selling the mods off.

I'm interested more in people's experiences of selling their vehicles online, ebay, ect and how they processed the sale. I've never sold a vehicle, much less on line. I've always traded them in to avoid the headache but i usually loose a couple grand by doing it. I know i have alot more invested in this truck then i'll ever get in return reguardless, so if i can get a couple grand more selling it, i'd drather do that.

Go back to as close as stock as you can. Unfortunately mods are not good on re-sale. Sell it with the statement that the buyer is responsible for shipping. Do not release the truck or title until the funds have 100% cleared the bank. Selling long distance is not that big of deal.
That's more like the feedback I was looking for.

Old 12-12-2007 | 04:07 PM
I say 12K to 15K tops (based on the condition description you described); to me it would not be worth spending my weekend demodding the vehicle, for several hundred to 1K. If I was ever to consider letting my L go, I would discard all interest in it, and sell it to the highest bidder as is and be done with it.

I would not want to spend my time and effort, in dealing with the selling of the parts and haggling with the individuals on the price, for the parts that I had taken off. As well as dealing with the trips to the Post Office, ect.

I would just wash my hands of the whole ordeal, and invest my time and enjoyment on my new toy!!!

Old 12-12-2007 | 04:22 PM
Oh, and as far as the actual sale, CASH, MONEY ORDER, CASHERS CHECK…..
PERIOD!!!! No partial payments or personal checks (have done that in the past, and it has never worked).

CASH IN HAND!!!!! Shipment, title transfer, Sales Taxes is the buyer’s responsibility!!!!

Also; make a simple document or affidavit (get it certified “Important”) this is for you’re protection of the sale!! Use this document to protect you’re self, if the owner do’s not transfer the title and get in to some sort of altercation with the law or accident…..

Old 12-12-2007 | 05:07 PM
|
mods

i guess my main interest in demodding for a private sale would be for it to be less likely to pop a motor and me having to buy a motor for a truck that isn't mine anymore.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I think is Massachusetts, i'm responsible for 90 days.

Old 12-13-2007 | 12:20 PM
In Texas some car lots and dealers sell the vehicle "AS IS" no warranty!!

You could add to the sale slip, a “AS IS” clause, as long as he signs (the notarized affidavit) he waves the rights for any type of future liability.

However: is this legal is MASS???? But a notarized affidavit by you and the buyer is a legal binding contract!! (It is here where you specify the variations or declarations of the transaction!)

Old 12-13-2007 | 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by oldfrmtrk
Oh, and as far as the actual sale, CASH, MONEY ORDER, CASHERS CHECK…..
PERIOD!!!! No partial payments or personal checks (have done that in the past, and it has never worked).

CASH IN HAND!!!!! Shipment, title transfer, Sales Taxes is the buyer’s responsibility!!!!
I'd stick to cash...way too many fake cashier's checks or money orders out there. Or go to the bank and let them draw a cashier's check or money order at their bank while you're with them.

Old 12-13-2007 | 03:15 PM
All good advise, all I can add is

I sold my 02 L on E-Bay
I sold my 99 L on E-Bay
I sold my 99 Procharged Stang GT on E-Bay

2 out of 3 sold in less than 1 week so if you list it be ready to sell it,
DO NOT take a Money Order, tons of fake ones out there
DO NOT take a Teller Check (as some call it), tons of fake ones out there
Personally if it's BIG MONEY I wont take cash either (it could be conterfit, or those MF's could kick your a$$ and take your ride)

Thee only safe way is the money gets transfered TO YOUR BANK
(NOT YOUR account, then they have your banking #'s)

In all 3 cases I called my bank, they gave me their routing number
I instructed the new owner the money MUST BE CLEARED before I release
in all 3 cases all went well....

Simply put in the ad
Money must be transfereed to my Bank before the vehicle will be released,
Buyer is responsible for picking up the Vehicle or arranging shipping

BEST OF LUCK

Old 12-13-2007 | 04:59 PM
Tall,
Looking at your mod list you have an easy $2k on the used market worth of parts and likely much more. Looking at a day maybe a weekend at worst to remove and replace everything assuming you still have the stock stuff. If it takes a weekend and you only get $2k for your mods that's $1k/per day for your time. Not bad money for your time. I sold my 00 local and stripped off everything i could. I got $20k for the truck with a little over 30k on the clock and close to $5k for my mods. That was with leaving the Hotchkis suspension, TSW wheels, and Snuglid bed cover. Well worth my time. You seats and console shout be worth big bucks. Find someone local that will trade their stock seats plus cash for yours. That one is an easy swap.

Old 12-14-2007 | 03:18 PM
|
can't swap seats

you have to cut the rug when you put the center console in. Well, I guess you don't have to, but pretty hard to find the holes for the brackets without it.

Rob, when you say send it to your bank, don't you need to give the routing and checking number for them to be able to put the money anywhere?

Old 12-14-2007 | 08:56 PM
Don, Talk to your bank they'll give you the info needed to do a wire transfer, routing number ect.. I've used this method before, it worked flawless and eliminates risk for all parties involved. As for the carpet cutting for the center console mod, make an investment and buy a new or close to new rug and make the swap, the console/seat will cover plus the cost of making the upgrade, guys seem to be swapping the black carpets pretty frequently so try to pick up a nice condition used one for 50-75 bucks.

Quick Reply: Contemplating selling my truck, need advice for guys that have sold private party.