Lightning

How much lower Timing with Nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007 | 08:34 AM
|
Originally Posted by onlya377
The Predator won't allow you to do that, it has to be done in the CMR software, if all you need is the timing locked to 16° e-mail me your tune and I will lock it for you.
Sent it to yonson@yonsonracing.com from qtrmiler5.0@gmail.com

Thanks

Greg

Old 12-24-2007 | 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by NCsvt2003L
You don't want to lock the timing in. You want a max set of timing valves in the timing table.
That sounds right

I know for example we found out on the dyno the Magnum SC loves alot of timing down low, but doesnt like a lot up top. So Sal use to (ok I wont say it)
SET the timing at differant degrees at specific RPM settings. We might for example start off at 16 degrees at idle then jump to 21 degrees up to say 3500 RPM but then progressivaly pull timing above 3500 RPM. Locking (whoops I mean setting) a maximum timing degree of say 16 from 4500 - 5500 RPM

Blown a good tuner knows what to do, remember there's more to timing than listening to me, THATS FOR SURE

Initial timing is that setting you make while your engine is idling. This is typically between 4° ATDC (After Top Dead Center) to 16° BTDC (Before Top Dead Center). For performance applications "in most cases" you want as much initial timing as the starter can handle (the more timing the more cylinder pressure that the starter must overcome to crank the engine). Too much initial timing, besides the starter load, can also run the HC (Hydrocarbon) emission levels beyond legal or breathable levels.

Total timing is the calculation of the combined initial and advance timing settings (max).

The timing curve is the timing values plotted over an RPM curve. What this means is that at a given RPM you will have a specified amount of timing advance.

Old 12-24-2007 | 10:18 AM
|
Makes sense. Now, what I'm wondering is, when under load (WOT) at low RPM leaving the starting line, does the computer generally pull the timing down to say, 8-10 degrees and then add it as the RPM's build up to the shift point? I've never paid attention to this on my Predator. It does pull alot of timing leaving normally from a stop light, so I'd assume it does it when nailed WOT at the track.

If the above is true, then locking it at 16 degrees gives you 6-8 degrees more than letting the computer do its normal thing (when leaving the starting line). I'm thinking more timing is more torque on the leave?

Anybody datalog what the computer normally does at WOT in a racing setting (off the starting line)?

Originally Posted by Rob_00Lightning
That sounds right

I know for example we found out on the dyno the Magnum SC loves alot of timing down low, but doesnt like a lot up top. So Sal use to (ok I wont say it)
SET the timing at differant degrees at specific RPM settings. We might for example start off at 16 degrees at idle then jump to 21 degrees up to say 3500 RPM but then progressivaly pull timing above 3500 RPM. Locking (whoops I mean setting) a maximum timing degree of say 16 from 4500 - 5500 RPM

Blown a good tuner knows what to do, remember there's more to timing than listening to me, THATS FOR SURE

Initial timing is that setting you make while your engine is idling. This is typically between 4° ATDC (After Top Dead Center) to 16° BTDC (Before Top Dead Center). For performance applications "in most cases" you want as much initial timing as the starter can handle (the more timing the more cylinder pressure that the starter must overcome to crank the engine). Too much initial timing, besides the starter load, can also run the HC (Hydrocarbon) emission levels beyond legal or breathable levels.

Total timing is the calculation of the combined initial and advance timing settings (max).

The timing curve is the timing values plotted over an RPM curve. What this means is that at a given RPM you will have a specified amount of timing advance.

Last edited by Blown347Hatch; 12-24-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-24-2007 | 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Blown347Hatch
Makes sense. Now, what I'm wondering is, when under load (WOT) at low RPM leaving the starting line, does the computer generally pull the timing down to say, 8-10 degrees and then add it as the RPM's build up to the shift point? I've never paid attention to this on my Predator. It does pull alot of timing leaving normally from a stop light, so I'd assume it does it when nailed WOT at the track.

If the above is true, then locking it at 16 degrees gives you 6-8 degrees more than letting the computer do its normal thing (when leaving the starting line). I'm thinking more timing is more torque on the leave?

Anybody datalog what the computer normally does at WOT in a racing setting (off the starting line)?
I generally don't lock the timing on cars or in this case trucks, as it can sometimes cause driveability issues, but it does get requested alot, so it's not really a big deal...

I went ahead and sent you 2 tunes, one with the timing locked and one with it knocked down 2 degrees to 14.5, your timing table was set at 16.5 so most likely one of the ECT or ACT adders was giving you the extra timing, I went in and removed the ability for them to add timing as well.

Quick Reply: How much lower Timing with Nitrous?