Lightning

Will Ford now focus on SVT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
Well, hopefully the arrival of Jim Press, a longtime Toyota President (and the first non-Japanese member of Toyota's board), will bring some of that Toyota magic to Chrysler. I've always regarded GM as the best built but most poorly designed American cars, and post-Iacocca Chrysler as the best designed but most poorly built cars (Ford doesn't seem to do anything right). A little Toyota build quality infusion could do a lot to improve Chrysler's position.
The situation has really changed at GM. In the past they designed very average cars and they arrogantly believed that people would buy them because they had the distribution... After the German SS took over Chrysler, many the Dodge boys left for GM (Bob Lutz...) They run the show now. Many of the newer GM cars are very good and I never said that before of any GM product (Z0-6,new ZR-1, Astra, Aura, Enclave, new CTS and the upcoming Camaro and Pontiac G8 look very promising)

Chrysler is small enough that they may be able to make the right decisions and really make a difference. But the entire focus is short term and this is usually not in the best interest of the company. The new executives want to make big bonuses and Cerberus want to flip them to make a huge profit. That's where the Asians with their 20, 30 and 50 year plans have them beat...

For the latest on Chryco management, check this out: (my favourite car show) episode 12/30/07

http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/

On another note, I keep hearing rumors on an SVT Edge and Fusion. We may see concept versions in Detroit in a few weeks. The Fusion is a given but I can't get too excited about an SVT minivan. From an engineering standpoint, I guess it makes sense since they are both on the Mazda 6 platform and the market appeal is quite broad.

My contacts tell me that the 2010 Lightning is still a go. Profitability isn't good but the F-150 needs a halo vehicle in this super competitive market and shrinking segment. With decisions changing daily at Ford, this one can still change for such a limited production vehicle. As it did in 2004.

Quick Reply: Will Ford now focus on SVT?