Lightning

01-04 L's stock vs M3 2000-2004 Stock OUTCOME?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007 | 02:45 PM
|
01-04 L's stock vs M3 2000-2004 Stock OUTCOME?

Just Want To Know?

Old 12-21-2007 | 04:36 PM
dig or roll?

tires?

Old 12-21-2007 | 05:08 PM
That comparison seems a little silly initially... One of the most sophisticated road cars versus a farm implement with a blower in a straight line. Except that I regularly blow by them on the open track.

I was puzzled how some of these guys were waiving me by when I wasn't even really close to them yet, ( I initially thought they were very polite) until one of my buddies' commented that when they see the big red grill fill their back window, they are literally paralysed with fear.

Just found out that the local BMW club has banned trucks from their track events. (although I was the only one there-no X5's like in the commercials) Seems like the BMW owners were too traumatized by the sight of pick-up truck tail lights....

They make their hp high in the RPM curve, so you really need to take them from a dig. The new V8 M3 will have more torque down low so that's a different story.

TB

Old 12-21-2007 | 09:57 PM
This exact scenario happened to me about a month ago with one my buddies from work. My 03 with 4lb, tune, metcos vs his supposedly stock m3. first was from a 20mph roll, it was even till about 90 when he started to creep by me. second run was a 40 roll where he pulled an immediate car length and stayed there till bout 80 or so then pulled another car length before we shut down. The 3rd and final run was from a stop, i jumped out by a full car and held it till we shut down at 60mph. Initially, i was pissed that i didn't dominate this car.....then reality set in and i realized i am in a friggin farm truck and just held my own against one of the most capable sport coupes in the world. We are very lucky to own our bolts.

Last edited by Blkboost; 12-21-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-28-2007 | 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by TrackBeast

They make their hp high in the RPM curve, so you really need to take them from a dig. The new V8 M3 will have more torque down low so that's a different story.

TB
actually not a whole bunch of torque.... IIRC they're under 300 lb ft - obviously in something that weighs a fair bit less than an L it does help but still not really (actually make that nowhere near!!) in the Audi RS4 or new Merc AMG C63 league

Old 12-28-2007 | 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by irocfan
actually not a whole bunch of torque.... IIRC they're under 300 lb ft - obviously in something that weighs a fair bit less than an L it does help but still not really (actually make that nowhere near!!) in the Audi RS4 or new Merc AMG C63 league
I haven't been in the new M3 yet but in the M5 which was very impressive around a track. These guys claim that the new M3 is faster where it really counts.

"Why have a V-8 that doesn't deliver its peak power -- 414 horsepower -- until a dizzying 8300 rpm? "When you drive on the limit, a higher revving engine allows the driver to more finely adjust the torque to the rear wheels," says Richter. "It gives more sensitivity." Peak torque is only 295lb-ft at 3900 rpm, and the delivery is so linear -- 85 percent of that figure is available across a 6500 rpm rev range -- that the engine just doesn't seem to punch as hard as a you think a V-8 should. The sensation is deceptive, however: look down at the speedo and you'll almost invariably be going 10-to-20 mph faster than you think. On almost any given stretch of twisting blacktop this M3 is 911-fast."

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._m3/index.html

Quick Reply: 01-04 L's stock vs M3 2000-2004 Stock OUTCOME?