Lightning

What mods without computer upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2001 | 02:21 PM
|
Question What mods without computer upgrade?

I am looking for some mods that I can do on my truck to give it just a bit of a power boost. I really do not want to add a computer chip for the warranty reasons. Keep in mind that this truck is my driver and not a all out every last horsepower performance project. The truck is a bone stock 2000 model. Also what boost is this truck supposed to be supplying stock ? My factory guage is only showing 6-8 pounds. Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

John..

Old 04-05-2001 | 02:29 PM
DB
The best bang for the buck mod besides a chip would be a filter kit of some sort - JL Ram-Air, PSP, Airaid... all very good and not terribly expensive.

Boost from factory is rated to 8 lbs. I don't think that the factory boost guage is very accurate.

[This message has been edited by DB (edited 04-05-2001).]

Old 04-05-2001 | 02:47 PM
Check with your local dealer service department BEFORE doing any mods, even a filter!!! I asked mine and they said even a filter causes warranty problems, according to Ford. I understand dealerships differ in their strictness though, so ask yours for the best answer.

-Ollie

Old 04-05-2001 | 03:11 PM
Filter, shift kit, lower pulley. All easy to reverse if you need work done. No evidence of install.

------------------
2000 Silver Lightning 13.82 (stock)
PSP 4-way
PSP Filter Kit
PSP Lower Pulley
Level 10 Shift kit
Snug-Lid
In the works:
Level 10 converter
4-Link

Old 04-05-2001 | 03:24 PM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Arrow

Felonious,

not to be an a$$ here but if your dealer considers a filter as terms for voiding a warranty, I'd suggest going SOMEWHERE ELSE. They're splittng hairs and don't deserve to lay their greasy paws on your truck, warranty or no warranty.

Papa,

best bet would be to ask first then go with the filter anyway. you can always put the stock unit back on when going in for service. I do.

You can also cut openings in the bottom of your stock box and put in a flat K&N unit.

Also, adjust your boost actuator a bit.

hope this helps.

Old 04-05-2001 | 03:30 PM
Also electric fan kit and single bladed throttle body.

------------------
2001 Red Lightning Delivered 3-15-2001, 2" Aim Lowering Shackles, Hitch Removed, Group Purchase Floor Mats, Modified Light Switch for Fogs, JDM Filter Kit.

2000 Red Lightning - #835 of 4966 Sold 3-8-2001

2000 Red Trans Am Ram Air WS6, 6 Speed - Delivered 2-15-00 - Awesome Looking Car

My Zing.com Album Click Here

Old 04-05-2001 | 08:23 PM
Question

Speaking of throttle body, how much does that increase? I like the non-chip idea, but will proable end up chipping. I think it would be no use using a Cobra, single-blade throttle body, without also putting in a better filter. Thats the whole line of thinking with the air intake, MORE AIR. So, what benifits are we talking with the increased air flow? I'm speaking about an '01(90mm MAF), no ram air setup, no larger pulleys.

Old 04-05-2001 | 08:37 PM
a dealer cannot void your warranty just for putting in a new filter unless that dealer offers FREE air filers.and i know ford would never GIVE anything away for FREE

Old 04-05-2001 | 08:51 PM
Wink

I like wearing one of those wigs that look like your hair is being blow back at 200mph, at a stop light, scares the crap out of the competition ,and its dealer approved. if that doesn't work, go with the 50 dry "easy off unit". a/f ratios look good with stock settings, and instead of scraping the goo off for a chip all you have to do is scrape together some money for the giggle gas all the time. but remember, if you have a problem on the road, tell the tow truck driver "first we stop at my house, to get all my personal effects out of the truck, then we bring it to the dealer, if you know what i mean, or something

Old 04-05-2001 | 09:40 PM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Arrow

been there or something MRBBQ

Old 04-06-2001 | 10:10 AM
|
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will pick up a K&N for the air box this weekend. Does anyone have a picture of a cut stock airbox ? I need to know how much to remove from the bottom. Also what do you do to adjust the boost actuator ? And what exactly does this do ? I have looked at a level 10 shift kit for the truck does anyone have any pro's or con's for this. I want the trans to last and know this will help it do that. Thanks for all the suggestions and add any more that you have.

John..

Old 04-06-2001 | 11:58 AM
KGM
How bout something like this

Quick Reply: What mods without computer upgrade?