Lightning

Beginner Slick Question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beginner Slick Question?

I'm very new to slicks, but found a good deal on a set of slightly used ones. They are 28x10x16 Hoosier slicks and wheels. Would this be a good choice? I have stock supsension, on my 2000 Lightning. Also, would I be able to run the stock 18's up front and these out back at the track? About how much of a difference would I see over the stock F1's? They were used on a Harley, does that make any difference? What PSI would be best? Thanks for any help.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Those are perfect for stock power levels down to the low 11 sec range.(took mine to 11.25@126 mph) I would run as much pressure as possible until tire spin is present. About 16-17#s is a good starting point. They will work quite well with the stock fronts,although at least a tenth can be gained by using lighter, narrower, fronts.
Jim

Old 01-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Sic SVT
I'm very new to slicks, but found a good deal on a set of slightly used ones. They are 28x10x16 Hoosier slicks and wheels. Would this be a good choice? I have stock supsension, on my 2000 Lightning. Also, would I be able to run the stock 18's up front and these out back at the track? About how much of a difference would I see over the stock F1's? They were used on a Harley, does that make any difference? What PSI would be best? Thanks for any help.
28X10X16 Co7 compound Hoosiers are an excellent choice for slicks. Your traction will be so much better than F-1's that you will get axle wrap (wheel hop) and run the risk of breaking your drive shaft on launch if you dont have traction bars. Get yourself some cheap Lakewood traction bars,... good up to 550RWP. You can run your 18" tires out front.
Air pressure for the slicks depends on your horsepower, if your 350-450RWHP run them at 18-20 PSI .....You want the most air pressure you can get in the slicks and still maintain traction. If you spin take a few pounds of air out.

Drive around the water box (because your front tires will get wet and put water on the track) and back up into the water pull forward do a good 5-8 second burnout. Floor it on launch.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Good point Red! A driveshaft loop and traction bars of some sort are REQUIRED when launching on slicks.
Jim

Quick Reply: Beginner Slick Question?