Lightning

advice on spring mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008 | 05:53 PM
|
advice on spring mods

gents,

I'm going to be starting looking at getting all my mods ordered for spring and i was wondering if you could lend any advice to a fairly new L owner as these will be my first mods to the truck since i've owned her:

starting off, i already have a FTVB, 4#lower, JLP intake, JLP traction bars, SCT chip, magna-flow exhaust, autometer boost gauge (all done by previous owner).

I am looking at going to a 6# lower, afco dual pass intercooler rad w/ fans, SCT 90mm MAF, SCT chip (multiple tunes) and a tune from steeda in milton ontario, stiegemeier port w/ rotor strip and snout rebuild, clean the intercooler, new plugs (TR6) gapped to .034, drive shaft loop, autometer A/F gauge – fuel pressure gauge and aeroforce interceptor gauge, new fuel filter, and nitto 555DR’s. possibly a line lock kit too (is this really needed?)

My only other mod is possibly going w/ an upper pulley. I am unsure of what to go w/ or if it’s even worth it, and obviously I need a tensioner as there will be more belt slip.
Also, how much extra belt size is needed if you add a tensioner on?

Any input is appreciated!!
Oh, and I do plan on owning my L for a long time, and I don’t see a build motor or whipple/KB in the near future.

Thanks,
Sean

Old 01-16-2008 | 08:26 PM
Those mods are a great next step. I do not suggest a smaller upper at this time. The addition of the 6#er is all that is considered "safe" on a stock block.
Line lock is nice, but only really needed if you see a lot of track time. It does save the rear brakes.
Jim

Old 01-17-2008 | 05:20 PM
|
spring-time mods

anyone else?

i would really appreciate any info at all!!

Thanks.

Old 01-18-2008 | 02:17 AM
Originally Posted by lightning25
. . . I am looking at going to a 6# lower, . . . My only other mod is possibly going w/ an upper pulley. . .
Why think about upper pulleys until you are out of lower pulley options?

Old 01-18-2008 | 06:50 AM
Originally Posted by lightning25
Oh, and I do plan on owning my L for a long time, and I don’t see a build motor or whipple/KB in the near future.

Thanks,
Sean
Then I would take Jims advice and not go to 8lbs of pulley. The only way I would do that is use a Quick Change Upper and only add the other 2 lbs at the track. And only then with a C16 (or at least a 100 octane) Race Tune.

All I can add is you seem to be a Boost Monster (believe me I can relate ) so I would DEF go with 60lb Injectors and Upgraded Fuel Pumps now before all the re-tuning begins. (I'd also consider a Single Blade Throttle Body)
Either way it should prove to be a very fast and responsive Lightning

Old 01-22-2008 | 04:38 PM
|
Originally Posted by Rob_00Lightning
Then I would take Jims advice and not go to 8lbs of pulley. The only way I would do that is use a Quick Change Upper and only add the other 2 lbs at the track. And only then with a C16 (or at least a 100 octane) Race Tune.

All I can add is you seem to be a Boost Monster (believe me I can relate ) so I would DEF go with 60lb Injectors and Upgraded Fuel Pumps now before all the re-tuning begins. (I'd also consider a Single Blade Throttle Body)

i didnt think 60lb injectors or upgraded fuel pumps were needed until adding a KB/whipple??

Old 01-29-2008 | 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by Rob_00Lightning

for more than 6lbs the quick change or some type of adjustable pulley seems like a good idea. the stock block won't like more then 6lbs daily (for longevity).

also the single blade throttle body will make your truck shift like a monster! it's really nice. I haven't tried the BTS (but will soon) heard that'll be even better. you might consider one of these too.

Not too sure if you'll need 60lbs... but I haven't gone past a regular eaton.

Old 01-29-2008 | 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by kuljc
also the single blade throttle body will make your truck shift like a monster! it's really nice. I haven't tried the BTS (but will soon) heard that'll be even better. you might consider one of these too.
Yep...those throttle bodies seriously firm up the shifts! I'm waiting to get my BTS throttle body too. I can't wait to feel the neck-snapping power.

Quick Reply: advice on spring mods