Lightning

Calling Clonetek

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2001 | 10:16 PM
|
Post Calling Clonetek

I installed the pro-sport lid this weekend. I really don't like the POS hinge system. The flimsy wire hoop retainers that go through the front tabs didn't work well. One popped throught the hinge slot when I opened it, the lid jumped forward on one side and it scratched the bed. Boy, I was P!ssed. I ended up putting some stainless screws in the holes to hold the lid instead of the circular rings. I might see if I can find some sturdier stainless key rings instead. Aside from that it looks great. One question though..... Where did you tie into the wiring to pick up power for the rear brake light? Any insight would be appreciated. I went to one of the local hangouts Saturday evening and got plenty of raves over the lid.
Aside from their hinge system I'm very pleased with the lid...

------------------
2001L, red, born 2/6 and arrived 2/28!!!
JDM chip
12" Big Mouth filter
Wet Okoles
Bedrug
Pro-Sport Lid
Let the mods begin....

1969 Vette coupe, 496ci stroker big block, aluminum heads, 4340 crank & H-beam rods, JE 10.8 pistons, roller everything, McLeod dual disk clutch w/ aluminum flywheel, Richmond 6 spd, 3" dual exhaust, 300hp nitrous fogger, much, much more.
LS1 eater.. big time!!

1985 FoToLet, work truck, 85 Toyota 4x4 (started as), Reading bed, ladder racks, 8" lift, 33 x 12.5's, Vette 350 4 bolt motor, Hooker Super Comp headers, Ford 9" rear, Toyota front diff, turbo 350 coupled to a Toyota transfer case, 410 gears, a/c & power steering. f-a-a-s-t A/C & heat calls..... my specialty.

web page: http://personal.picusnet.com/undy

Old 04-15-2001 | 11:55 PM
i'm not sure i know what you mean by the wire loop retainers.. my hinges consisted of a flat piece (female part) that bolts to the front bed cap, and a tab (male part) that sticks out of the cover itself.

did they change the hinges?

i connected my light to the plug on the back of the truck. found the one for running lights & hooked it to that (piggyback splice).
i am going to go back and rewire it to run off the third brake light soon.. i think i'd like it better that way.

i dont know if i installed the lid wrong, but it is slowly scratching the heck out of my bed.. several places just below the black bed caps are rubbing. i may end up getting some grey or silver bed liner sprayed from the bottom of the cap to the body line. maybe 1/2 inch wide all around the bed/tailgate. the cover covers up most of it.. i just think it looks bad.
maybe i should have taken it somewhere to get it installed by a pro.

brooks

Old 04-16-2001 | 06:31 AM
|
Yes, I was talking about the male tabs that extend into the female rectangular slots of the fixed hinges that screwed to the top of the angle/rail. Innovation provided those crappy wire (small gauged) key-ring type hoops to retain the tabs. W-e-l-l... one of those "hoops" pulled through the slot and that front corner of the lid popped out when I lifted the lid up...argh, I hate scratches on a new vehicle. I just think with such a nice top they could of provided a little better hinge system as well as a little more clearance on the sides in the rear. I assume by mine that's where your paint contact is. Let me know if you decide to use a "rino liner" type of overlay along the edge.

Old 04-16-2001 | 06:40 AM
yeah.. mine is hitting on the sides in the rear and on the tailgate.

i didnt get any retainers like you are talking about. you got some "key ring" things to go thru the holes in the tabs?
when my cover came in, i had one of those thru the tab, but my keys were on the key ring.

brooks

Old 04-16-2001 | 07:01 AM
Lightbulb

Undy,

Whats up??

By coincidence, I was working the brake light issue yesterday on my Pro-Sport. (OK, I never hooked it up yet) Anyway, what I decided to do is the following:

1) Where the Pro-Sport wire comes out of the front of the cover carpet, peel back the carpet and make the wire come out while still inside the confines of the bed. Using some carpet glue, reattach any loose lid carpet.

2) Run 2 new wires along the upper bed rail on the driver side from the tailgate to the pro-sport wires. (Note, the pro-sport wires didn't quite reach half-way).

3) You will find a very small hole near the rear of the drivers side, just below the bed rail area. You can run your wire extensions through that hole, into the fender area. Remove the taillight assembly and reach upwards through the hole and grab your 2 wires.

4) On my 99, you can splice into the upper light in the taillight assembly. Using the 2 outside wire positions (G & Major).

5) Then I used some male/female plug assemblies where the pro-sport and wire extensions meet. That way I can disconnect and remove the cover if necessary.

BTW, I have the bedrug, so the wires can lay behind the carpet OR I am going to use small dabs of black silicone to hold the wires to the upper inside of the bed rails, outta sight.

I did this to keep all wiring inside the bed.

BTW, I too have some small scratches where the lid seems to contact that paint, right above the tailgate. One thing that seems to happen is that if the locks are too tight. I losened one up and it seems to have fixed it.

Anyway, I'll catch you on the 28th at VA Motorsports.....Battle of the winged L's..

Later

------------------
Brian K
kimmel_brian@prc.com
thedink@ix.netcom.com

99.5 Black - Born 5/17/99
  • 13.28 @ 102.31 (8.52 @ 83.84)
  • Tinted Windows
  • PSP Intake
  • Clear Corners
  • Autometer "Phantom" Boost Gauge
  • JL Street/Strip FlipChip
  • Bedrug
  • Alpine Audio w/MB Quarts & Pioneer
  • Tow Package
  • Mobil 1
  • Electric I/C Fan
  • Street Scene Grilles
  • JL Ram Air
  • FRP Single Blade TB
  • NGK TR-6's
  • Pro-Sport Tonneau
  • Coming Soon: JDM 2# pulley

Foolish man give wife grand piano, wise man give wife
upright organ

Old 04-16-2001 | 04:43 PM
my tabs have never come out.. maybe you mounted the female plate too far forward?
do you have any pics?

brooks

Old 04-16-2001 | 08:02 PM
btt

Old 04-16-2001 | 09:41 PM
|
I called and talked to Jerry at Innovation today to ask him about the hinge tabs. He said to put key rings through them or just a screw like I did. I haven't taken any pictures yet.... hopefully this weekend. I couldn't have mounted the hinges too far forward because the holes in the tabs protrude completely past the slots in the hinges. Jerry suggested getting a good set of key rings for the tabs.

Old 04-16-2001 | 09:44 PM
hmm.. i never heard of that.. i havent had problems with it coming out.

brooks

Old 04-17-2001 | 12:20 AM
|
How are you guys keeping the tabs from popping out from the hinge slots when you open the top wide?

Brian, Are you going to race with the lid on or off? I'm going to try to make it, work permitting.

Old 04-17-2001 | 12:43 AM
Talking

Undy,

No problems with the tab slots coming loose on mine. Everything is nice and snug down in there. Even without the shock hinges, its a snug fit.

I will race with it on. I like to run in street trim. I'm not removing the tailgate, lid, spare or anything else. Maybe I should eat one less gordita the day before

All in all, low 13's on 93 octane, F1's and full trim. I will be trying out some MT Streets (hopefully...If gdmf'ing UPS would get their act together).

See you on Saturday the 28th,

Brian K
99 Black L 13.28 @102.31

Quick Reply: Calling Clonetek