Lightning

Anyone whos rebuilt,or is rebuilding thier 4R100 come in here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone whos rebuilt,or is rebuilding thier 4R100 come in here.

Hey guys,been awhile sinse I posted,anyway long story short my trans took a dump (burnt up the intermediate clutchs) and Im rebuilding it.

I got the LFP rebuild kit (Stg. 1) and everything is going ok up till I get to the point of rebuilding the forward clutch pack. The kit is supposed to upgrade it to 5 clutchs from 4,along with the extra steel. But when I get all of them in my backing plate sits too high and I can't get the snap ring in the groove. I have even tryed compressing it alittle,but I know it's supposed to have some clearance,right?

Thanks in advanced for the help.
-Jerry

Old 02-05-2008, 05:49 PM
you should have a thinner pressure plate(thicker than the steels) . do you have a picture of the parts?

Old 02-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Yeah, you should have gotten new pressure plates with that kit. Also, of course you need clutch clearance!!! Be careful, an opps on this transmission can be an expensive one!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-28-2008, 12:03 AM
Ahh I forgot to update y'all,lol.

I got my trans finished,the problem I had was fixed by removing the wave plate and machining .040 off the backing plate.

But,I got another question about fittings... I'm removing the bypass and running -06 AN lines to a cooler and a external filter.

The cooler fittings on the side of the case are NPS fittings,I'm gunna try going to a hydraulic supply company sometime this week,but our local performance warehouse and Goodyear store only has NPT to AN fittings.

Is it ok to use a NPT fitting in a NPS thread? If not,what about re-tapping the threads with a NPT tap?

Thanks for the help you guys,your awsome.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:45 PM
man that seems like a lot of work... you gave me a little hope, of trying to do it myself, with the title. Did you have a manual or anything when you did this?

Old 03-23-2008, 12:13 AM
WOO! I finished getting it in and it works FLAWLESSLY!!

This is my first trans rebuild,so I'm feeling pretty good,and everything went smooth. It shifts great,that FTVB is really working good,the 1-2 shift feels like someone kicks you in the butt,lol.

BTW,the NPT fittings sealed perfectly,maybe I just got lucky? Idk,but it hasn't leaked a drop,and everything is so simple and clean looking.

Quick Reply: Anyone whos rebuilt,or is rebuilding thier 4R100 come in here.