Lightning

What is your intercooler glycol/water mix ratio??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2001, 12:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What is your intercooler glycol/water mix ratio??

I'd especially like to know what the fast guys are setup with. Do you incorporate Water Wetter too. Is it worth the work. I used WW in my 00 and want to maybe go with a different mix in my 01.

Old 04-25-2001, 03:07 AM
Eric_red,
Steam distilled water is just regular water that has been boiled to remove the heavy minerals. They sell it at the grocery store.

It is not a dangerous and powerfull cleaning agent.
I am pretty sure you have confused it with some other product.
It is just really clean water that contains no minerals or electrolites.

Old 04-25-2001, 08:18 AM
baster works great for this job--also works for emptying power steering reservoir to install synthetic(redline) fluid. be sure that baster is clean before using it to scoop up some gravy--that coolant is poison. be very careful none is puddled on the floor where a pet could lap it up--they will die!
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KGM:
Steal your wife's turkey baster, great for small suck outs. Hide it in a good place in the garage. If she asks about it you know nothing. Be sure to replace by next Thanksgiving.</font>

[This message has been edited by LIGHTNINROD (edited 04-25-2001).]

Old 04-25-2001, 08:49 AM
hehe.. i was joking. i bought some water to put in the intercooler. just ticked off that i have to do something like that to my expensive truck.

i'm glad to see someone is a water technician on here. LOL

LIGHTNINROD - i think all coolant is animal frendly now.. isn't it?
the old stuff would kill though..

Old 04-25-2001, 08:51 AM
'Doggy:

I wouldn't worry about a single charge of tap water. Even if it's really hard water, there's just not a lot of mass of mineral in there. For example, 500 ppm total hardness (really hard water) in a gallon of IC solution would produce only about 0.07 ounce (1.9 gram) of calcium carbonate scale if it ALL PLATED OUT. No biggie.

If you're really worried, drain your system, refill it with weak acid (like vinegar, perhaps diluted), and circulate. This will definitely dissolve all of the scale, and a little bit of your intercooler and IC rad as well. Add a little chelant (EDTA would be best) if you really want to go a good job. Then, to remove the corrosion products from the acid bath, circulate a moderately weak caustic solution (diluted Red Devil Lye), which will brighten the aluminum like nobody's business.

In other words, don't worry about it.

Old 04-25-2001, 10:26 AM
For you guys using WW with 50/50 mix. Do you actually see a reduction in temperature? I was getting ready to add Purple Ice (Royal Purple's version of WW) to the Lightning, but decided to experiment with the Mustang first. To my disappointment, the temperature, on the average, seems to have gone *up* a couple of degrees (I have AM mechanical gauges in the Mustang) since I added the Purple Ice. With this under my belt, I don't think I'm going to waste my money with Purple Ice. But would be interested to try WW if you guys actually noticed a drop in temperature with it.

------------------
Francis
'00 Lightning, S/C 5.4
'93 Mustang GT, N/A 5.7
'00 T-Maxx, N/A 0.15

Old 04-26-2001, 04:37 AM
I have always notice a temperature drop in all the cars I have put watter wetter in. I must admitt I have never put an aftermaket guage in to test exactly how much of a drop. My Lightning fatory temp guage showed a very very slight lower reading, but a lower reading never the less. I usually use 75% water to 25 percent anti freeze, with one bottle of watter wetter.

Can someone who knows what they are talking about explain the chemestry behind how watter wetter is supposed to work ?

Someone once told me it reduced the surface tension of the watter. They used the example of a hot cup of coffe. He said, you know the little air bubbles in the coffee around the perimeter of the cup ? If you were to pour a little watter wetter in there, the bubbles would dissapear. He went on to say that the engine had lots of nooks and crannys and pockets where tiny air bubbles would be lurking. Adding watter wetter would get rid of the bubbles, thus effectively creating more water to surface area, in turn increasing the heat transfer rate of the water.

Well, that was certainly a mouthfull .. but is that how it works ?
Certainly there must be a self proclaimed chemist among us who can enlighten me

Old 04-26-2001, 07:43 AM
PFA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Don C:
I put a half bottle of Water Wetter in my intercooler resevour today. I was trying to figure out how to drain some of the coolent out, I found a empty Windex bottle, so I stuck the spayer in the resevour and started pumping. After about 200 pumps I had enough out, then it was on the the radiator, 200 more pumps. Well that was my exercise for today LOL
</font>
Not to be picky on how you do yours but, my '99 (and likely the '01) had a petcok (sp?) at the bottom of the sm. radiator for the intercooler. Just open it up and let it drain some into a container. Hope this helps.

------------------
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
PFA
2001 WHITE LIGHTNIN'
2001 Windstar Sport

SOLD-with $4K from FORD!
'99 WHITE LIGHTNIN'
#0873--1 of 866--

Old 04-26-2001, 07:59 AM
Cool

PFA
HEHE now you tell me. Well next time I will know what to do, pluss I needed the exercise anyway. Well at least your advice might help someone else out. To late for me.

Old 04-26-2001, 08:15 AM
clonetek: i wondered about the safety of the new coolant when i posted--thanks for mentioning it.

Quick Reply: What is your intercooler glycol/water mix ratio??