Lightning

What is your intercooler glycol/water mix ratio??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001 | 01:04 PM
|
Thumbs down

mine is pretty much straight water now.. kinda lightly tinted green.
i just fill 'er up with the garden hose every time i wash the truck.

LOL
brooks

[This message has been edited by clonetek (edited 04-24-2001).]

Old 04-24-2001 | 01:23 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BadBolt:
Do you incorporate Water Wetter too...
</font>
Anything that reduces the surface tension will reduce the boiling point and the heat capacity of the fluid. I.e. less effective heat removal from the intake air.

Old 04-24-2001 | 01:46 PM
I talked to JL yesterday about this and he said to leave it 50/50 except drain a little off and add some WW I don't remember how much I guess follow the bottle instructions? I never feel my IC fluid heat up much.

------------------
01' Silver Bullet
Tire shredding truck

Old 04-24-2001 | 02:48 PM
In the summer or racing season, I live a mixture of 70/30 mostly water, and no WATER WETTER. I have tried it, but I always had a leaky intercooler, so I figured after the 3rd intercooler...I was better spending that 8 bucks else where 8 bucks could alomost buy me 3lbs. of Nitrous LOL

Winter I stick with the recommended specs. Hope This Helps

------------------
Spiro-
12.373 @ 110.15
Best 60' 1.76
@ 4700 without the Go-Go juice

11.94 @ 115.31 with the Go-Go juice @ 4700 lbs.

-Stock Meter
-Stock TB
-Stock Heads
-Stock motor
-Stock Torque Convertor

Empty Pockets Racing DE-NJ

Sponsored byPOWER SURGE PERFORMANCE

Old 04-24-2001 | 03:25 PM
Clonetek:

I really hope that you were goofing about the "garden hose" thing. Filling the 'cooler circuit with untreated water (read - "water having appreciable mineral content") is a recipe for serious disaster. You're inviting severe mineral (read - "calcium and magnesium") scale buildup throughout the entire intercooler circuit. As this is a circuit that gets hot on occasion, the scaling will be greatly accelerated, as most mineral salts exhibit inverse solubility (read - "less soluble as the liquid heats up"). I realize that the intercooler itself is disposable in the truest sense, but your intercooler rad, hoses, and pump are not. Scale means a higher thermal resistance (read - "lower heat transfer efficiency") and higher wear through the system. Eventually, you might completely plug small passages in the rad or 'cooler itself.

I used to fill my washer fluid res with the garden hose when I lived in the "deep south" (no freeze danger, after all). Our tap water was VERY soft (I'm a brewer, so I had it analyzed). Anyway, my wiper fluid system (which didn't see NEARLY the thermal cycling that your intercooler system does) scaled up so thick within a couple of years that it clogged shut. I tore it down and cleaned it out one day and found the entire "floor" of the res to be covered with calcium scale at least 1/16 inch thick.

Please use distilled water in your 'cooler. And if you were indeed joking, relax. There's inevitably somebody out there reading this that is in the process of trashing his system with tap water as we "speak".

This has been another public service annaouncement brought to you by the Society For Better Living Through Applied Chemistry And Physics (and oil filter waxing), or something like that...

------------------
Silver Y2K Lightning
Bone Stock w/ Duraliner, Ford Hitch Cover

Best 60-foot: 2.063
Best 1/8: 8.876
Best 1/4: 13.789
Best MPH: 99.67

Silver (matching) Y2K ML320 Benz
Burl (ML430) Shift ****
G-Tech 16.4 @ 88

1992 Grand Prix SE
Commuter Mule, G-Tech 17.3 @ 81

Old 04-24-2001 | 03:45 PM
Posting Rights Suspended
Another tragedy averted....j/k

[This message has been edited by TampaSVT (edited 04-24-2001).]

Old 04-24-2001 | 03:53 PM
Huh?

Old 04-24-2001 | 05:02 PM
Yeah, what Silver-Y2K-SVT says. Always use distilled water in cooling systems, batteries etc. Don't mistake "purified" for "distilled". Purified just means they filtered the cooties out, while distilled means they got out everything, minerals etc.
Distilled water is also the best kind of water to drink. Tap water is nasty.

Old 04-24-2001 | 06:30 PM
KGM
Wink

If your gonna drink...drink the good stuff.

Old 04-24-2001 | 06:39 PM
Cooties. (koo-tee) 1. An ages old game wherein the child puts plastic body parts on a large plastic insect thorax. 2. What a child between the age of 6 and 10 gets from clunky old girls. 3. Sticks and small creatures that come from common tap water.

------------------
Stevie-Ray
00 Red L #3460
JL Stage 2 Ram Air
Clear tails
Custom mats
ARE LSII
Bedrug
Keypad entry
Homedics Back Expert 2000

Old 04-24-2001 | 06:40 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lightfootning:
Yeah, what Silver-Y2K-SVT says. Always use distilled water in cooling systems, batteries etc. Don't mistake "purified" for "distilled". Purified just means they filtered the cooties out, while distilled means they got out everything, minerals etc.
Distilled water is also the best kind of water to drink. Tap water is nasty.
</font>
I use to play with distilled water and it can be some what dangerous.

Distilled water is a powerful cleaning agent, so powerful in fact that if placed in an inproper plastic container then it can easly bleach the PCB's out, once the PCB's are suspended then you realy, realy, realy, don't want to drink that water.

Also distilled water doesn't contain any electrolites.

Old 04-24-2001 | 07:08 PM
Smile

I put a half bottle of Water Wetter in my intercooler resevour today. I was trying to figure out how to drain some of the coolent out, I found a empty Windex bottle, so I stuck the spayer in the resevour and started pumping. After about 200 pumps I had enough out, then it was on the the radiator, 200 more pumps. Well that was my exercise for today LOL

------------------
SILVER 2001 LIGHTNING
Built 02/14/01
Picked up 03/03/01
Sportmasters tonneau
Bedrug
Alpine head unit and six disk changer.
JL Audio speakers
Magnaflow muffler
JDM BigMouth Filter.
http://donf150.tripod.com/Welcome/id6.html

http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4294607313

Old 04-24-2001 | 07:56 PM
KGM
Wink

Steal your wife's turkey baster, great for small suck outs. Hide it in a good place in the garage. If she asks about it you know nothing. Be sure to replace by next Thanksgiving.

Old 04-24-2001 | 08:14 PM
Red face

Oh, goodness me, have I committed an unpardonable sin? Have been adding distilled water to my i/c reservoir since it started going south, but the other day I popped the hood at my electronics dealer and discovered that the reservoir was bone dry after only 50 miles. I know that tap water is a no no, but I figured I'd better add some anyway before I ruined the pump by running it dry, so in went the old garden hose. Topped it off with distilled water when I got home, and soon added the cooling system sealant, which appears to have stopped further leaking. Should I have flushed the system and refilled with distilled water before adding the stop leak? Should I do it now? And is there anything I can flush it with that will get those bad deposits out?

------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

'84 Alan Record Carbonio, Aerospoke wheels, Campy brakes.

'00 SVT Lightning, silver, built 2/9/00, #133 of 4966, G-tech Pro, JBA headers, 4.10 gears, Swanson chip, Pro-M, NGK plugs, carbon drive shaft, Roadmaster suspension kit, TransGo shift kit, cam bolts, Jackson washers, Wet Okoles,
13.39 @ 102.5

2001 Kevlacat 2400, twin 115 Evinrude FICHT, Raytheon VHF, radar, autopilot and GPS chartplotter/fishfinder.
http://www.zing.com/album/?id=429389...4647875&idx=15

gmvye@pacbell.net

Old 04-24-2001 | 08:34 PM
Talking

What color and diameter was the garden hose. you might be alright

Quick Reply: What is your intercooler glycol/water mix ratio??