Lightning

the end of canadian drag racing?? please support if you can!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008 | 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
The Earth is warming, and increased CO2 is causing it. There is no real scientific debate on this point. Whether we are heading for a global disaster as a result, or whether the Earth can self-correct are where the intelligent debate lies.
That's a bit arrogant. There is no scientific debate that the Earth is warming, but it's been doing so for 30,000 years (we were in an Ice Age, after all). Did our measely camp fires cause that then? I think not.

Fact is, the Earth goes through climate cycles, this is one of them.

Did you know that if we stopped all fossil fuel burning right now, the Earth's CO2 productions would drop by less than 1%? Did you know that when a volcano erupts, it puts out more "pollution" than LA does in a year?

Is man affecting the environment? Sure, but there are other things that I think are having a much greater affect on it than our cars.

Keep in mind that energy is neither created, nor destroyed. This fossil fuel came from energy locked away millions of years ago, when the Earth was believed to be much more tropical than it is now. Keep in mind that the government has to make you afraid of something, otherwise it's useless. By "protecting" us from global warming, they're justifying their existence. They also seem to be "protecting" us from evil steroid using baseball players and NFL sideline voyeurs more than things like recession though...

BTW, something that will really cook your noodle is the fact that while temperatures have gone up on average, rural temperatures have actually fallen. The theory is that most weather stations are near cities, which have air conditioning, energy usage, vehicles, large expanses of pavement and buildings, and are going to be hotter. This is skewing the "global warming" data and makes it look like average temp has gone up.

We are polluting the Earth (the Chinese worst of all). There is no real scientific debate on this point.
Yep, we're polluting, but there is scientific debate that it's doing much other than making the sky ugly.

Vehicle emission regulations have dramatically improved air quality -- visibly here in Los Angeles. There is no real scientific debate on this point.
Yep.

When the Republicans concede these points, you know the debate has ended.
Uh oh, politics...

But when planes use 98.5% of the pollutant at issue, and the 1.5% user is eliminated first, you have to question the wisdom of the litigation.
Yep. Silly.

Similarly, diesel trucks, which spew huge amounts of pollutants compared to cars, are just now getting cleaned up, yet cars have been emissions controlled for over three decades now.
Probably because we depend on the trucking industry (which depends on diesel) to supply our nation. Technology has finally allowed us to reduce diesel emissions without reducing efficiency much.

Why?
Because?

Last edited by SRockwood; 02-15-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-15-2008 | 12:25 PM
Planes seem to be the evil culprit today. When we consider the amount of natrual polution the earth produces. I think most would consider the polution the evil airline industry causes as minor.

We have discused the air polution in Los Angeles before. I agree that most days the air is much cleaner. However, I contribute the air quality to the incressing high winds.

Ive lived in southern california for over 40 years. I can rember when we would have one week of santa ana winds a year. Now we enjoy those winds monthly, and sometimes weekly.

Global warming is a fact, i am not debating that one bit. Our air quality efforts will not hurt. If we stop urinating in the ocean while we surf will help aswell.

One thing stikes me funny, when discussing global warming, politics and religion is enivetablly dragged into the discussion. All three topics share other similarities. They are all created by man and used to instill either fear or a sense of purpose. They also do a great job of creating cash flow,,,,goverments love cash flow

Old 02-15-2008 | 01:43 PM
It's true that the atmosphere goes through cycles. And it's equally true that CO2 concentrations are directly linked to those cycles (note that this chart terminates in 1950):

The problem with using that paradigm is that the CO2 has already increased far beyond anything previously known to exist on this planet (at least the "modern" planet with continents peeking out of oceans).

Maybe the scientists are wrong. But betting that they are is a gamble that we just can't take.

Again, the debate should be centered on what to do, and how fast, and at what cost, and what to do about the other countries in the world who are polluting more and more every day, while we are trying to pollute less and less.

For the record, I am pretty much the opposite of a liberal. But I'm not going to stick my head in the sand.

Old 02-15-2008 | 01:51 PM
Further remark: this is WAY off topic for a truck forum. Don't know why I always get drawn into off-topic debates.

Old 02-15-2008 | 01:58 PM
It's true that the atmosphere goes through cycles. And it's equally true that CO2 concentrations are directly linked to those cycles (note that this chart terminates in 1950):

Never said that increased CO2 didn't mean increased temperature. I was saying that the current "global warming" trend has very little to do with fossil fuel consumption.

One thing I think is amusing from this data is it's extrapolated and then used as fact. The problem I have is they're basing a lot of this on ice cores. Unfortunately, 400,000 year old ice cores are extremely rare and are found in very few places. This is nowhere near large enough a cross section to be anything other than theory.

The problem with using that paradigm is that the CO2 has already increased far beyond anything previously known to exist on this planet (at least the "modern" planet with continents peeking out of oceans).

Maybe the scientists are wrong. But betting that they are is a gamble that we just can't take.
I don't think the icecaps and glaciers are large enough to raise ocean levels enough to cover up the Earth.

Scientists are wrong all the time. You very rarely see the publishing scientist publish another paper on how wrong he is. That's usually left to someone else. The world was once believed to be flat, you know...

Again, the debate should be centered on what to do, and how fast, and at what cost, and what to do about the other countries in the world who are polluting more and more every day, while we are trying to pollute less and less.
The rich get richer, while the poor get poorer? We polluted just as much as those countries did. The only reason those countries pollute more than us is because we've moved all of our nasty industries there. We're still using batteries, they're just made in Mexico now. Don't think that because we put out less air pollution than they do that we're not the problem.

For the record, I am pretty much the opposite of a liberal. But I'm not going to stick my head in the sand.
Didn't expect to see many liberals on a Ford truck forum...

Originally Posted by lightninquick
Global warming is a fact, i am not debating that one bit. Our air quality efforts will not hurt. If we stop urinating in the ocean while we surf will help aswell.
Lol, great anology.

Old 02-16-2008 | 06:54 AM
Have the slack space in the nitro containers filled with Chinese made children's toys. Just drop the toys in the fuel and wait. Voila -- leaded fuel.

Old 02-19-2008 | 10:04 AM
Its always fun to see when scientists reasoning for their theories gets proven false, they just find another fact that they believe proves their theory. Totally disregarding anything else. Right now their whole argument is based on Venus and Mercury. Mercury is the closest planet to the sun and venus is the second, yet venus is the hottest planet in the solar system. Why? because it has a c02 atmosphere. So therefore, if we increase co2 then we will get hotter because of trapping in heat better. Of course, they dont mention that Mercury doesnt have an atmosphere at all, so it would be a lot easier for the planet to get rid of heat from the sun. Plus Mercury doesnt rotate. Last time I recall, there werent any cars on Venus....

Fact is, we arent bringing co2 to the Earth from outside sources, we are using what has already been in existence on the Earth since the big bang. Matter always recycles itself. We arent creating c02 where there hasnt been any. Global warming could be happening, but its still up in the air whether man is causing it (probably not) and its up in the air whether we could do anything about it even if we tried. Anyway, I dont know why I even bother getting into these discussions, real proof wont actually exist until we are all dead and buried. Santa Ana winds Rick? That is your proof for global warming?

Old 02-19-2008 | 10:26 AM
I'm hopping in the handbasket with this thread, see you guys on the underside.

Old 02-19-2008 | 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by Lightclone
. . . Right now their whole argument is based on Venus and Mercury. . . .

. . . Fact is, we arent bringing co2 to the Earth from outside sources, we are using what has already been in existence on the Earth since the big bang. Matter always recycles itself. We arent creating C02 where there hasnt been any. . .

We ARE creating CO2 in the sense that we are taking carbon atoms and oxygen atoms and combining them. Yes, the carbon has always been there (inside the earth), and yes the oxygen has always been there, but the resultant CO2 has not.

Old 02-19-2008 | 11:14 AM

Fact is, We arent creating c02 where there hasnt been any. :
I'm no historian....but I don't think the world came with premade bacon, but yet we're producing plenty of that! (There is a God!)

CO2 is a chemical compound that is produced in the reaction directly caused by us (burning things)

Old 02-19-2008 | 12:32 PM
Horrible rip off of the original...

We ARE creating CO2 in the sense that we are taking carbon atoms and oxygen atoms and combining them. Yes, the carbon has always been there (inside the earth), and yes the oxygen has always been there, but the resultant CO2 has not.
Yep, we are.

However, compared to what the Earth naturally creates (living beings, volcanoes, etc), fossil fuel use is just a drop in the bucket.

Old 02-20-2008 | 02:16 AM
Originally Posted by whip
. . . CO2 is a chemical compound that is produced in the reaction directly caused by us (burning things)
And then there's the cow fart crisis:

Old 02-20-2008 | 04:25 PM
Old 02-20-2008 | 11:57 PM
Its always fun to see when scientists reasoning for their theories gets proven false, they just find another fact that they believe proves their theory. Totally disregarding anything else. Right now their whole argument is based on Venus and Mercury. Mercury is the closest planet to the sun and venus is the second, yet venus is the hottest planet in the solar system. Why? because it has a c02 atmosphere. So therefore, if we increase co2 then we will get hotter because of trapping in heat better. Of course, they dont mention that Mercury doesnt have an atmosphere at all, so it would be a lot easier for the planet to get rid of heat from the sun. Plus Mercury doesnt rotate. Last time I recall, there werent any cars on Venus....

Fact is, we arent bringing co2 to the Earth from outside sources, we are using what has already been in existence on the Earth since the big bang. Matter always recycles itself. We arent creating c02 where there hasnt been any. Global warming could be happening, but its still up in the air whether man is causing it (probably not) and its up in the air whether we could do anything about it even if we tried. Anyway, I dont know why I even bother getting into these discussions, real proof wont actually exist until we are all dead and buried. Santa Ana winds Rick? That is your proof for global warming?

holy chit that was great!!!! that was like 3 steps over almost everyones head

Quick Reply: the end of canadian drag racing?? please support if you can!!