Lightning

Most unusual battle in 1 year! Winner TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2001 | 05:19 PM
|
Cool Most unusual battle in 1 year! Winner TT

In my year on this board (I joined long b4 I got the truck, back when it was just a fantasy doing burnouts on the cover of every automotive magazine) I have seen my fare share of out and out brawls. The f-bodies, the dakota R/T guys, chevy pick-em-up guys, and the syclone/typhoon(of which I have nothing but respect for..those were baaaad machines). But never did I imagine that someday we would be having an out and out BRAWL with TT guys.

This is just GREAT stuff...I love it!!! Gets you pumped. Even when I was talking with my good friend (he bought a TT against my recomendations) about cars...the battle between ours never really came up. This guy went from knowing nothing about cars to becoming an enthusiast all because of his primer gray TT. I took his lil suped up VW bug for a spin. It was ok. Then he modded it and I was quite impressed. Came alive. Still didn't give you that rush of speed/adreneline that I get with my Saleen or Lightning, but it was lots of FUN none the less. A fun little car.

In the end..despite the differences in our cars...we both like the rush of driving fast..while cranking a little Nirvana on the radio.

To the few of you audi guys that posted here that seemed pretty cool...like LarryTT (at least in his posts here...not so much on the audi board) I would gladly meet up...talk cars...and grab a beer with over at hooters anyday!!!

To the rest of you that came over here to bash, you most likely have no idea what a Lightning is or what it is capable of. I seriously doubt that most of you have ever ridden in one much less driven one. Perceptions change once you get behind the wheel. Trust me.

I am not a hick or a redneck or anything like that. I never in my life would have ever considered a truck until I drove the lightning. My friends could not beleive I bought it. That was until I gave them a ride. And I think that is true for most of the people on here. I for one was not just sitting around hoping someday someone would make a truck that went fast...it just so happened that this exhillerating automobile happened to have a bed in the back. As strange as it may sound, it is a pure musclecar...more so than prolly any other vehicle out there today. And there is still appeal for something like this. RWD, large car, big..powerful V8, side exhaust...you get the idea.

So no, we are not rednecks. We are just enthusiasts that like vehicles that go fast and handle well, and are not predjudiced against a certain body style, be it truck, coupe, sedan...or jellybean. But I think that fact should have been obvious to anyone...as red necks would prolly not want a truck like this, since it is more sports car than truck.

And may I remind you, it wasn't someone from our board that went to audi just to troll and stir up trouble. It was one of your own. He happened to own both, and was apparently somewhat dissatisfied with the TT and wanted to see some #'s. That's ALL. He complained about the Lightning some when he owned that too. No big deal. That's what these boards are for...not just for blind undying praise.

In conclusion, I would GLADLY grab a cold one with any of you TT guys (granted that you are not one of the jacka$$'s or something) if any of you live in, or ever get out to the MI area.

Trucks go fast...and so do jellybeans...there is room for both of us in the world. Hell there is room for the TT in the bed of a Lightning.

Oops..just closed the old topic while I was posting to it....gotta post here.

P.S. Don't mess with speeding bob....he's cool. IN NO WAY did he attack anyone...he just corrected the comment that said that our 1/4 times were in the 14s.

------------------
2000 Red Lightning
95 Saleen S-351 Convertible/Triple Black
97 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

[This message has been edited by 95 Saleen S351 (edited 04-26-2001).]

Old 04-26-2001 | 10:42 PM
|
So who's the next brawl gunna be with?

Old 04-26-2001 | 10:48 PM
Honda civics and the L. Oops I ment the SVT Focus. Have fun!

Old 04-26-2001 | 11:24 PM
I still don't understand where they where coming from!

They ARE the enthusiasts, we are the REDNECKS?

While I don't know how a BMW Z3 compares to an Audi TT, I do have a friend that I like to go to lunch with and he'll never drive. It's not a money thing, he'll pay for anything as long as it starts or ends with 'topless bar'. So there you have it 2 seater vs. 2 seater, sports car vs. sports truck, peppy German engineering vs. US shade tree engineering, pretty green vs. can you turn that down a bit red, and each and every time ‘lets take the log’.

While the TT fight was fun, we still had the ultimate trump card and that is in the pure production numbers. For the truly evil members (me), we always had the ‘Man I see a ton of those TTs, they’re all around’, BTW equally effective to everything Corvette (production run this year has to be over 1 million, dime a dozen) and down, but you have to use this like the N-bomb or every French man will call you hypercritical.

From reading the TT owners board, it's seems as if they have to have self-justification from each other, psychotic and wealthy?

Their board = group hug!

Our board = dude keep your distance!

I wouldn’t change it for $1.50 a gallon premium.

Old 04-27-2001 | 01:14 AM
Thumbs up

95 Saleen, I appreciate your comments. I guess that Skydiver was also having troubles with his L when he owned that.

As far as troubles he has had with his TT, that was the first I have heard of them when he mentioned them in his little tirade.

I am one of the most active members of the TT Forum and help out EVERYONE!

Since I live on Long Island it will be tough to take you up on that offer of a beer, but thanks

Eric, where do you live that you "For the truly evil members (me), we always had the ‘Man I see a ton of those TTs, they’re all around’,?" Total North America production from April 1999 through March 31, 2001 has been a TOTAL of 20,497 TT's sold. I don't even see a ton of them! I am sure that an L is a rarer vehicle, what are the production numbers, something like 5,000/year? Just a guess.

Does anyone know why the other thread was pulled off the site? It was all in good fun!

Old 04-27-2001 | 01:35 AM
Lightbulb

Ok, these numbers were mentioned for the L, I don't know where they came from , but I just copied them from the closed thread:

Braking, 60-0 mph 136 ft.
Braking, 80-0 mph 238 ft.
80 ft. slalom 63.6 mph
100 ft. skidpad 0.85g

Here are the numbers I found for the TT as tested by C&D Magazine. Keep a few things in mind with these numbers. The car being tested was a 180TT FronTrak, it is not the Quattro which handles better and stops better. The car tested might also have been on 16" wheels and not the usual 17". I am not making excuses, just pointing these things out.

Braking: 70-0 mph 174ft
Skidpad: 300 ft dia skidpad 0.87 g

I have seen other articles that have recorded 0.92 g and I have read articles where the TT outbreaks a Porsche Boxster S. I don't know the slalom numbers, but do know they are rather high just from having raced it.

Larry

Old 04-27-2001 | 02:22 AM
LarryTT,

Larry I live in north Dallas and I see 5 - 10 of those TT's a day. Are they Quads, hell if I know how to tell the difference if they're moving?

There is a TT owner on the same parking level that I live on and his is a TT quad something. He's quite famous in the complex testing out the same braking and cornering capabilities that you mentioned in the said parking lot. I see him in the mornings sometime as he twists his head 360 degree to ensure that he's being checked out as I back up, as you can see I already had a stereotype of you guys way before this war/bitch slap started.

So it seems from your comparison post that the L and the TT are pretty well matched braking in a straight line and racing around 100 and 300-foot circles. In real life if a Z3 and TT are close then I can say that the TT handles and brakes better than the L, hey it just physics, 5000lbs vs. 2500, duh I wonderrr whos gona wen ma.

I did come across our little parking lot Schoemacker through a couple of s turns, some of you guys just can't stand getting behind a big behemoth truck for 5 seconds. Anyway Michael couldn't get around me to save his life and I guess the L only handles 97% as good as a TT but Michael could only muster about 95% of his Audi that day. Once the straight away hit, well I enjoy the FU look he gives me in the mornings now.

I'm not try to chastise you guys, this is more like comparing F3 to superbikes, once you get use to the handling and braking try moving up to handling, braking, and POWER. Remember you're trashing a vehicle that's 50% heaver than your closest competitor and staying feet if not inches from them, that's when you really can understand the complexities of intimidation. I think I'll name my L the demoralizer.

If you have the money and a lack of esthetics then skip the L and get a Viper.

Kick your shoes off and stay awhile, bring some friends over also.

------------------

Old 04-27-2001 | 02:41 AM
I posted those stats from a cut-n-paste from the official Ford SVT site:

http://www.svt.ford.com/lightning2001_specs.html

While your handling figures might be slightly better, remember that we're comparing a truck to a sports car. Not to sound like a broken record, but we can stay that close to you in performance figures and still move 800 lbs. of furniture, motorcycles, sacajawea dollars, etc.

Did someone say a TT runs about $42k? I wonder how much 10,000 Sacajawea dollars weighs...

-Ollie

------------------
"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!!!"
-Elwood Blues

Old 04-27-2001 | 07:55 AM
Man, I love this stuff! Lets have an L/TT meet. Run autocross in the morning, drag racing in the afternoon, then beer at Hooters for everyone!!!

------------------
GalaxyEng
2000 RED #2926
13.2@104
BedRug
Haig custom mats
PSP Filter
PSP 4-way
Pro-Sport Tonneau still waiting install

Old 04-27-2001 | 07:58 AM
From: Overland Park, Kansas (Kansas City) - Soon to be Ft. Worth, TX
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GalaxyEng:
Man, I love this stuff! Lets have an L/TT meet. Run autocross in the morning, drag racing in the afternoon, then beer at Hooters for everyone!!!

</font>
And then wine and cheese at the country club.

------------------
2000 Silver Lightning
#2798 of 4966
Born on date: May 9, 2000
Email: ColinMBurns@hotmail.com

Mods: SnugLid, 20% tint

My Zing Album:
http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4292724199

Old 04-27-2001 | 09:21 AM
Galaxy:

Let me know when and where! I will bring the TT's for the auto-x and the drags, just name the time and place!

It could be a very fun day indeed.

FYI, the TT is a big fat pig of a car! The Fwd version weighs just a tick under 3,000. My 180 Quattro is 3240 stock. The 225 is about 40# heavier and the Roadsters are just big *** pigs at 3400+ LOL

If you want to know how to tell the difference between the Fwd and the Quattro it is pretty simple. The Quattro has a small silver rectangular badge on the passenger side in the front and rear of the car. If those badges are missing then the Fwd rear shocks stand straight up/down where the quattro shocks point towards the rear of the car! I know, it is a pain in the *** to tell, but that is the easiest way to tell

Larry

Old 04-27-2001 | 09:46 AM
Cool

It's times like this i'm sorry i quit drinking (more times i'm glad i did).I like
that autocross in the morning drag race in
the afternoon idea,and a bunch of COLD ones in the evening.

FRITZ, Silver 2001 "L"

Old 04-27-2001 | 11:22 AM
|
Talking

I would definitely be in for that fun day of activities!!!

LarryTT...my friend with the TT was actually at one of the LI events that you organized. I am from Valhalla (White plains area) NY originally, and just moved out here in sept.

------------------
2000 Red Lightning
95 Saleen S-351 Convertible/Triple Black
97 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

Old 04-27-2001 | 11:29 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LarryTT:
Galaxy:

FYI, the TT is a big fat pig of a car! The Fwd version weighs just a tick under 3,000. My 180 Quattro is 3240 stock. The 225 is about 40# heavier and the Roadsters are just big *** pigs at 3400+ LOL

Larry
</font>
I didn't read anyone referring to your TT as a pig! Where did that come for?

If you are referring to my post I'm talking about the L slothness of 5000lbs, I referred to your pixie TT as 2500lbs.

You TT's guys it's always, me, me, me!

Old 04-27-2001 | 01:21 PM
Question

At 4600 lbs a 2001 L with 380 hp =
12.1 lbs/hp : 10.2 lbs/lb.ft

At 3280 the tt with 225 hp =
14.58 lbs/hp : 15.85 lbs/lb.ft

At 3240 the tt with 180 hp =
18 lbs/hp : 18.73 lbs/lb.ft

At 2553 the 2001 civic with 127 hp =
20.1 lbs/hp : 22.39 lbs/lb.ft

You might have a sporty car but it is out of its league.

[This message has been edited by BlackLight (edited 04-27-2001).]

Quick Reply: Most unusual battle in 1 year! Winner TT