Lightning

What is the BEST wauy to break in ET STREETS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What is the BEST wauy to break in ET STREETS?

For those of you who DO hook up after putting on slicks,Can you tell me the best way to break them in and how should I heat them every time?

Old 05-02-2001, 09:01 AM
LQ,

As someone who has just gone through this, let me tell you my .02:

On my first trip to the track, The best I could muster was a 1.94.....Only .03 better than my F1 times... WTF???

On the first trip, I did a first gear burn until I saw some smoke. I waited for the truck to grab and it never seemed to. Anyway, I was kind of disappointed.....

On my Second trip (This past weekend), I was running 1.8x's consistently throughout my 8 runs. The ET's seemed to hook much better and there was a lot more smoke from the same technique(Or lack there of).

So, In conclusion, I say don't expect the first time to bring you great 60's. Use your first trip to learn about launching and burning them. In particular, burn...burn...burn them the first time.

Run 18lb's in them (11.5's).

On the second trip, expect some better numbers and more smoke...

Just my .02,

------------------
Brian K
kimmel_brian@prc.com
thedink@ix.netcom.com

99.5 Black - Born 5/17/99
  • "Full Trim" Club
  • 13.28 @ 102.31 (8.52 @ 83.84) Street tires & 93 octane
  • 12.97 @ 105.18 (8.30 @ 84.68) MT's & 100 octane
  • Appearance Mods: Tinted Windows, Clear Corners, Bed Rug, Street Scene Grilles, Pro-Sport Lid, Autometer "Phantom" Boost Gauge
  • Performance Mods: JL Stage 2 intake, JL Ram Air, JL Street/Strip FlipChip, FRP Single Blade TB, NGK TR-6's, Electric I/C Fan, MT ET Streets 26x11.5x16's
  • Sound Mods: Alpine Audio w/MB Quart Components(F) & Pioneer(R) speakers
  • Misc: Tow Package, Mobil 1 5W-30
  • Coming Soon: ???

Foolish man give wife grand piano, wise man give wife upright organ

Old 05-02-2001, 09:07 AM
As per MT you need to "sead" them in first.
Put them on and go do a BIG power burnout as hard as you can and heat them up. Then take them off add air pressure to about 30 psi and let them sit and cool down for about 24 hours. A major burnout is required to get the tire temp as hot as you can get them.

"Now They Are Ready" bring tire pressure down to about 17-18 psi cold, and you are ready to go. After racing and before you put them up, pressure them back up to about 30 psi for storage. This will help keep the tires soft, longer.
Later and Happy 60 ft's

Old 05-02-2001, 11:08 PM
Start your burnout in 2nd gear to build wheel speed. Shift to thirdtop build more wheel speed, and as the truck begins to hook get completely out of the throttle.

If you don't, you will kill the trans or torque converter, or both. The high rpm will heat and cure the tire.

Smoke!11 guaranteed. By the way, do this in the water box, and make sure the truck is straight when you start, otherwise you may find yourself looking at the guardrail.

------------------
Red 00"
Pro-M mass air
Swanson Chip
Aluminum Driveshaft
Jay Lincoln Homemade Traction Bars
*******'s bed cover
Wet Okoles

http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4292716723

Old 05-02-2001, 11:22 PM
Exclamation

Starting in second is NOT a good idea. It will harm your trans. As per our resident expert.
Tom

Quick Reply: What is the BEST wauy to break in ET STREETS?