Lightning

smoke puffing from passenger side oil cap

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smoke puffing from passenger side oil cap

I noticed this yesterday after I changed my oil... there is a white smoke thats puffing as I rev the motor coming out of the oil cap on the passenger side... when I disconnect the pcv valve it also has a small white smoke puffing out... I just finished putting my motor together and I just passed 500 miles on the break in, but the smoke is still there... is this casue for some concern??

it could be a valve not seating correctly right?

it could also be the piston rings not seating correctly too right? either way the motor is coming out?

I don't want doom and gloom, just possibilities..

and yes it puffs more when you rev it... I dont know if its getting worse or not yet... what do you all think?

its only the passenger side... the drivers side does not have smoke coming out of the breather hole when its unplugged....

could a bad lifter or 2 cause this as well?

Old 03-09-2008, 11:24 AM
whats your vacume at idle

Old 03-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Before you pull the motor, make sure you have a problem. First do a leak down and compression test, this will tell you about ring and valve sealing efficiency. Drive it and see if you are lossing/consuming oil.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Its probably past the point of no return now....but the best thing you could have done for that motor is load the hell out of it in about the first 10-15 miles of its life. Maybe go out and film "Movie Stars part II" or something.

Generally you have about 25 miles or so to get a load on the rings and set them, after that it is most likely a waste of time.

The most interesting thing I watched one time was when I built a motor for my dad's boat....we wanted to put it on the engine dyno for break-in and leak check before it went in the boat.

The dyno operator broke the cam in for about 20 minutes or so and during this time the engine kept smoking more and more until it started to scare me a little. We even shut it down so I could check the PCV an make sure it wasn't in a bad spot or something. The dyno guy already knew what was going on and didn't think nothin of it. Soon as he fired it back up he brought it up to about 4000 and went full load on the pump and in a about 30 seconds the motor cleaned up and didn't pass another drop of oil.

If the machine work is correct....that's the way it should happen.

When I put a motor together and drop it in a vehicle this happens normally with me.....I can't keep my foot out of it.

Quick Reply: smoke puffing from passenger side oil cap