Lightning

Head Studs...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008 | 11:11 PM
|
Head Studs...

I just found out that im loosing a lot of power because 2 of the studs off of my head are broke off, how hard is it to replace the studs, and does the engine have to be pulled in order to do it. Would i be better off taking it to a shop to get the work done? The studs got rusted and then someone over torque'd them so they broke off. Any Imput?

Old 03-09-2008 | 11:22 PM
Cool

HI!... Is this a built engine? Stock modulars come with TTY (Torque To Yield) bolts. Not studs. If there are studs there after market and probably ARP head studs. If they are studs then most likely you will have to pull the engine, unless they are the ones up front. If the broken ones are in the rear it's hard to get the head of due to the wiper cowl built into the firewall. If they are the factory TTY bolts then you will have to remove the head and get a stud extractor if the bolt head is the only thing that broke off. If the bolt broke off down in the block then you might end up pulling the engine and bringing it to a machine shop.

HEAD STUDS :

Old 03-09-2008 | 11:47 PM
|
It should just be the stock bolts, i may just have to pull the engine after all, its the right side rear 2 that are broke off, they're broke off just below the surface on the head, there should be some showing after i pull the heads. I guess when i get back im gonna have to pull the engine... Thanks..

Old 03-10-2008 | 12:03 AM
Cool

HI!... It can be done in the truck but it's a PITA though.

Old 03-10-2008 | 01:13 AM
|
Actually looking at it now it might be the studs on the heads that go to the exhaust, i didnt know exactly where they were, i guess my information was misleading, although one of the studs to the head is broke off as well its actually the front left stud to the head, and the right side head is missing the 2 studs for the exhaust. I've only got what pictures my dad sent me(im out in afghanistan right now)

Quick Reply: Head Studs...