Lightning

How to wire Intercooler Pump on a non-Lightning application?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008 | 12:59 AM
|
How to wire Intercooler Pump on a non-Lightning application?

I have searched the threads and haven't found my answer yet. Could someone please tell me the correct way to wire up the intercooler pump on a Supercrew. I have ALMOST completed the L motor swap and was wondering the best way to wire up the intercooler pump. The pump is mounted already and I have grounded it to the core support, and run the HOT wire back up to the underhood fuse/relay box area, where do I wire it in to? Should I just wire it up to a 12V source when the truck is on? should I wire it up to a switch inside the cab? I live in Houston, so its usually hot and muggy, but when it is chilly outside, is it going to hurt to have the pump running in the morning? If it wouldn't hurt to have it running full time when the truck is on, then I may just tie it in to a 12V source when the truck is on? Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 03-11-2008 | 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by Screwed2002
I have searched the threads and haven't found my answer yet. Could someone please tell me the correct way to wire up the intercooler pump on a Supercrew. I have ALMOST completed the L motor swap and was wondering the best way to wire up the intercooler pump. The pump is mounted already and I have grounded it to the core support, and run the HOT wire back up to the underhood fuse/relay box area, where do I wire it in to? Should I just wire it up to a 12V source when the truck is on? should I wire it up to a switch inside the cab? I live in Houston, so its usually hot and muggy, but when it is chilly outside, is it going to hurt to have the pump running in the morning? If it wouldn't hurt to have it running full time when the truck is on, then I may just tie it in to a 12V source when the truck is on? Any advice would be appreciated.
Wire it to it's own relay, and then trigger the relay off key power. Key on=pump on. Simplest way to do it. That's how I do it on swap vehicles.

Old 03-11-2008 | 06:20 PM
you could always wire it to a SPST switch so you can run it in the staging lanes with ice in the resivior

Old 03-11-2008 | 09:21 PM
|
If I wanted to wire it into a twelve volt source on the fuse box, how would I do that? Is there an open space that I can tap into? Does anyone know if it would be necessary to put a resistor inline, or just an inline fuse, and how many amp fuse would I need? Thanks a bunch.

Old 03-11-2008 | 09:53 PM
I ran mine to an ignition wire.

Old 03-11-2008 | 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Screwed2002
If I wanted to wire it into a twelve volt source on the fuse box, how would I do that? Is there an open space that I can tap into? Does anyone know if it would be necessary to put a resistor inline, or just an inline fuse, and how many amp fuse would I need? Thanks a bunch.
There is a key power wire on the plug to the cruise control, I sometimes grab key power from there.

You are just using it to TRIGGER the relay, so there's no draw, and no need for a fuse. The fuse would go on the power side of the relay, to the pump motor.

Old 03-11-2008 | 10:09 PM
|
So is there an empty relay slot in the fuse box that I can use, because it didnt have a pump before, so what relay am I wiring too? Sorry I am a complete electrical noob, the only way I get electrical stuff is with diagrams. Would it be bad to wire it up to the fuel pump relay? That way whenever the pumps are on, the intercooler pump would be on? I could splice into the power side of the Fuel Pump Relay, right?

Old 03-12-2008 | 12:34 PM
Find where your CC circuit is located and pull power from there(since its key on) to a relay(which is a switch that works off of switched on power). you dont need a fuse but theyre cheap insureance.

Old 03-12-2008 | 04:50 PM
My truck had a heavy duty tow package that i don't use, i used the relay and power feed that is used to keep the trailer battery charged. If you look at the relay/fuse box under the hood the cover shows a relay (302) that controls the trailer battery the wire is an orange colored wire that comes from under the relay box. You can tap into the wire and power the pump. The relay is protected by a 30 amp fuse in the same box fuse 101 the wiring may be there even without a heavy tow package, check it out, the relay can be purchased if the wiring is there. Makes for an easy neat installation.

Quick Reply: How to wire Intercooler Pump on a non-Lightning application?