Lightning

Cracked Oil Filter Housing-Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008 | 08:09 PM
|
Cracked Oil Filter Housing-Need Some Help

Hello,

This is my first post, but I've been coming here for years for helpful Lightning information. I've run into a problem and I need some help from the collective experts here. My oil pressure light and pseudo-gauge started acting up the other day, and after the initial shock wore off and I determined that I really did have pressure, I searched the forum and found out about the problems with sending units acting up when cold. So I changed mine, and with relatively little effort, managed to crack the bung in the cast aluminum housing while screwing it in. So I went to the local dealer, and their computer pulled up 3 different castings/part numbers for my VIN, all between $130 and $180. So he called Ford and they said I needed a completely different housing, for about $270.

Does anyone know the correct part number for this housing on a 2000 L, or happen to know where to find one for a reasonable price?

Also this looks to be a fun swap job, does anyone have any tips on the best way to do it? I'm assuming that I'll have to jack up at least one side of the engine. I'll photo document the process if anyone is interested.

Thanks
James

Old 03-15-2008 | 08:55 AM
Smile

Try here, it is the best online parts listing..

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum...ead.php?t=3015

Old 03-15-2008 | 02:38 PM
Could you drill it out and install a TimeSert?

Old 03-15-2008 | 02:52 PM
When doing a threaded insert, don't forget a all propose sealant of some nature...

Old 03-15-2008 | 04:09 PM
|
I've thought about trying to get it welded, but I'm not sure how well that will hold, the bung is split at 2 places, 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock. I'm not familiar with a Timesert, I'll look into that.

Dbl G-Thanks for the link, great info, just not for this part. What sort of sealer would you recommend? Do you think sealer alone might do the trick?

I could always JB weld the sender into the bung, but thats really shade tree, and I'm not sure how long it'll hold.

James

Old 03-15-2008 | 04:17 PM
Frankly, I would pull the piece and get it welded at that price (Replacement) when a weld may be around $25... As a sealant,, most likely will not last on it's own and then well....

Old 03-15-2008 | 06:42 PM
A TimeSert is like a high-tech Helicoil. Instead of using a wire coil, it uses a solid steel insert. The repair is usually stronger than the original.

eBay listing

Old 03-16-2008 | 01:55 AM
Not so sure that will mend the crack, however with out seeeing it in person. Good luck with the repairs.

Quick Reply: Cracked Oil Filter Housing-Need Some Help