Lightning

Anyone running an oil pressure safety switch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone running an oil pressure safety switch?

One of my next mods is to install some kind of device to monitor oil pressure. I have been searching and see that installing an oil pressure gauge looks pretty simple. But I was thinking... wouldn't and oil pressure safety switch be more beneficial? I mean, then you wouldn't have to worry about looking at the gauge to see what the pressure is. If the pressure dips below a certain amount, the switch will just kill the engine. Is anyone running one of these and what do you think about this idea?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Old 03-26-2008, 10:45 AM
It would probably be a safer idea to simply install a warning light, if you are in the left lane on the highway doing 80mph it would be pretty crappy to simply have the engine shut off.

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?CatCode=13024

Old 03-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have installed the Moroso switch linked by Ian.

I replaced the ugly red light with a 2 candela 5mm LED in the a-pillar pod. It is bright enough to damage your vision.

Have not had a chance to test it yet, as the truck has been on jackstands with the master disconnect off for months now, but I see no reason why it will not work.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Oh yeah, and I've also installed a 2 quart Accusump, so I don't expect to be seeing that light for longer than the split second that it takes for the Accusump to pressurize the system at ignition on.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Thats a good idea, but to simply shut the engine off instantly , say at 5000 rpm under load, with the cylinders full of fuel, is asking for a hydrolock situation....

Old 03-27-2008, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by STRK BY
Thats a good idea, but to simply shut the engine off instantly , say at 5000 rpm under load, with the cylinders full of fuel, is asking for a hydrolock situation....
That won't happen.

The inertia of the engine will keep it rotating and the valves will still open allowing pressure (and unburnt fuel if you have a carb) into the exhaust.

Try it by revving your engine to 5000 rpm and then turning the key off.
Better, try it on someone else's engine as the unburnt fuel can ignite in the exhaust when you start it again.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by EnglishAdam
. . . Better, try it on someone else's engine as the unburnt fuel can ignite in the exhaust when you start it again.
That's a good point. I used to do that back in high school -- rev the motor -- key off while keeping it floored -- then key on. Used to produce some massive explosions coming out of my Cherry Bomb glasspack.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
That's a good point. I used to do that back in high school -- rev the motor -- key off while keeping it floored -- then key on. Used to produce some massive explosions coming out of my Cherry Bomb glasspack.
My dad still does that to scare the crap out of people on the sidewalk.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by SWThomas
One of my next mods is to install some kind of device to monitor oil pressure. I have been searching and see that installing an oil pressure gauge looks pretty simple. But I was thinking... wouldn't and oil pressure safety switch be more beneficial? I mean, then you wouldn't have to worry about looking at the gauge to see what the pressure is. If the pressure dips below a certain amount, the switch will just kill the engine. Is anyone running one of these and what do you think about this idea?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Hi Spencer,

Why not add an oil pressure kit to your Aeroforce. I think you have the newest version which will let you select a low (or high) limit for the warning lights. This way you could set the level exactly where you want it.

Lew

Old 03-27-2008, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mastertvtech
Hi Spencer,

Why not add an oil pressure kit to your Aeroforce. I think you have the newest version which will let you select a low (or high) limit for the warning lights. This way you could set the level exactly where you want it.

Lew
That's exactly what I was thinking Lew! Jason mentioned it over on NationalHorsepower and I didn't even know I could set the lights to do that. I'll be doing that very soon.

BTW, I have a friend with a b-day coming up soon and I think I'm gonna get him one of your Interceptors.

Quick Reply: Anyone running an oil pressure safety switch?