Lightning

Extrude Honed Upper Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2001 | 07:28 PM
RT,
Your belt is loose with a lower pulley? Mine is tight as hell. You may have a bad tensioner.

------------------
2000 Silver Lightning 13.16 (so far)
PSP 4-way
PSP Filter Kit
PSP Lower Pulley
Level 10 Shift kit
F-250 Trans pan
MagnaFlow 12468
Snug-Lid

I feel a 12.xx coming on.

Team PSP West

Old 05-15-2001 | 08:03 PM
Wink

NOSTROMO
Ford calls that manifold a SPACER why I don't know. Price is 239.34 List, I bought 2 of them and the parts guy gave me a deal so I gottem for 203.44 apiece.
Part no. CM-4916 (XL3Z-9A589-AA).

BABolt is right, testing is the name of the game. So I'll go out on a limb here and say this. You can extrude hone this part till your blue in the face and if you did see 5 or 6 HP I would be surprised.

If you want to do something nice for it try putting about a 1/2" spacer under it. Your EGR will be difficult to hook up and you have to watch for hood clearnce.

The manifold I have on my truck now, has some minor welding and grinding done to it and a spacer under it. And it does work.

You dont have to add alot of volume to the manifold (excess grinding and polishing) what seems to matter is the shape at the rear as it turns the air into the supercharger, here is where the spacer helps, it makes the turn more robust and adds volume where it needs it.

Also in the every little bit helps catagory, try stripping all the epoxy or powder coat off of it, and paint it flat black.
Sorry for the long post
Dale

------------------
Black 00'
12.977 @ 110.49
full weight, stock F1's

Old 05-15-2001 | 08:14 PM
NOSTROMO
That's what i was planning to do make a kind of phenolic spacer, extrude hone it, and have it teflon coated inside to reduce the heat.
The EGR tube shouldn't be much of a problem....just weld a steel pipe extension on it or something.
I thought i was gonna be the first to try something like this...guess i was way wrong!
It will probably end up being a pretty expensive, time consuming manifold but if i can get something out of it....it will be worth it.

Thanks for the part number fast as L...im going to the dealer for some other goodies too.

Old 05-15-2001 | 10:41 PM
Smile

NOSTROMO
Actually the EGR valve and tube are gone now, capped at both ends, and the SES light is turned off in the chip. My HotRod don't need exhaust gas poored all over its supercharger and intercooler.
Have Fun
Dale

[This message has been edited by Bad as L (edited 05-15-2001).]

Old 05-16-2001 | 07:56 AM
dale: i've thought about doing this too. i'll bet we're going to get the clean air ***** upset, but i don't want to pollute my air intake charge either. would you explain/show more about this mod.? thanks-if you have the time, dan

------------------
2001 Lightning, silver, bot/picked up on 05/08/01, 1997 f150 xlt 4.6L 4x2 with: a/f one fipk, superchip, optima battery, bbk 75mm throttle body, edelbrock ias shocks--2001 lightning to come(she came--see above)

Old 05-16-2001 | 08:26 AM
Dale, I'd like to know as well.

Old 05-16-2001 | 10:19 AM
My belt tensionoir is tight with the lower pulley and yes its more then a pain to get it on there, but its by no means tight. the mustang guys with there blower's tighten those things down to 150 to 200 foot pounds of TRQ. Now I know we could do that to our trucks and pick up some mad power.

go in your truck tonight and squeeze the belt together just below the upper pulley. when thats tightened good, you should not be able to squeze that belt together like that. I should maybe flex in about 1/8 of an inch. I'm talking tight.

Don't worry about it, I'm going to make one after WFC when I get back. Thats going to be another nice mod to have.

------------------