Lightning

Time to come back?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to come back?

Hi all. Been away (but lurking) for the last couple of years since I sold my '01 L in '05.

Since then, for one, I have owned an '02 built bock / Kenne Bell HD. I bought that truck not long after I sold the L.

In early '05 I got bit by the SRT-8 bug and ordered an '05 300C in Feb. Some nasty rumors at work about layoffs forced me to cancel that order and hence why I bought the HD instead. Still affordable had I actually gotten laid off.

Having never lost the SRT-8 itch, and things having settled down at work, I bought a new '06 in January, '06. Sold the HD a couple of months later in March.

Fast forward to now. The SRT-8 has been in the garage since October of last year when I started a new job that has me working at home 100% of the time. It was my daily driver from Jan. '06 until May of '07 when I started driving my wife's Durango the majority of the time and at that point I drove the SRT-8 a couple of days a week. When I started the job in October, commute now consisting of a walk downstairs to my home office, the car became my garage queen. I didn't drive it this winter because it was just too damn clean!! If any of you know me, that seems to happen to me a lot. Spend 12 - 16 hours detailing and then I don't want to drive the vehicle again. Staring at it in my garage becomes more fun.

So where am I going with this......Well..being that I'm working at home now, combined with the fact that I'm itching to get back into racing and working on a 'vehicle' as a hobby, I'm thinking about getting back into a Lightning. Don't get me wrong, I love the SRT-8. It's a lot of car for the money (even with residual values having tanked!!) and other than that fact, I have zero complaints. It really is a great car overall. I've made a few passes in it which I was happy with based on what the car is. But the reality is that I will not mod it. It does not require any work other than oil / filter changes that I perform. I only drive it on weekends and occasionally on weeknights to go out for a cruise. I can run it a 1,000 times and the net result is basically going to be the same because it's going to remain stock. That said, I've put the car up for sale with the intention of getting back into an L. Since it will not be my daily driver, I'm going the built block route. The goal is to have a high 10, low 11 second truck that I can do some of my own work on and make some passes and cruise around knowing that not too many others on the street can touch me. I really miss the neck snapping shifts of my '01 with a FTVB. The looks of the L. Being able to do 'some' work on it myself. It's just something that I think I need to be involved in again.

So...watch out for my return. I'm actively looking on all the boards for potential candidates (found one locally just this afternoon) as well as trying to get the SRT-8 sold. With any luck, I'll be posting the story of my reentrance into the L community in the not so distant future.

Dan

Old 04-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My roles are reversed.

My 300C SRT8 is my daily driver, and my truck is my garage queen. Well, if you count being up on jackstands for five months at a time in a complete state of disrepair "queen" status.

The 300C is a better car than the Lightning in just about every way. And I like the fact that it's so complete that modding is just not required. Stick the key in and go.

But the Lightning is just way more fun to drive. And the modding is half the fun of ownership. I'd get bored with the 300C as my only performance vehicle.

Welcome back to the Dark Side.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
My roles are reversed.

My 300C SRT8 is my daily driver, and my truck is my garage queen. Well, if you count being up on jackstands for five months at a time in a complete state of disrepair "queen" status.

The 300C is a better car than the Lightning in just about every way. And I like the fact that it's so complete that modding is just not required. Stick the key in and go.

But the Lightning is just way more fun to drive. And the modding is half the fun of ownership. I'd get bored with the 300C as my only performance vehicle.

Welcome back to the Dark Side.

Couldn't agree with you more on all points, especially paragraph #3. You nailed it in three sentences. Thanks for the welcome back.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Welcome back man

Old 04-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Didnt know you had an SRT Tim. That is a bad *** daily. Id love to have a setup like that. Keep the SRT man and sell something else... Im sure thats out of the question

Old 04-24-2008, 12:11 AM
welcome back old timer
Post pics when you find her

Old 04-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks, guys.

Keeping the SRT and an L is not an option. Not enough room in the garage, unfortunately. And being that I have no commute and also own a Durango and my wife drives an '06 Grand Cherokee, it's not practical.

Anyone know of someone in the market for an SRT-8?

Quick Reply: Time to come back?