Lightning

Mod Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:19 PM
MJG
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mod Help

Hey Guys,

I've read/researched as much as I can about this stuff, just want the expert's opinion before I do go ahead with anything more...(i know there's a ton of threads on this already)

There's a tuner near my place who has done just under a dozen lightnings and does a ton of mustangs, he's a pure ford performance kind of guy. (the only one I can find around here)
I went in to take a look, and am considering doing some mild MOD work by him. I have been a bit nervous messing with the stock tune, not in the mood to deal with any major issues..
Question: I am looking at JDM 4# lower with a dyno tune, SCT Xcal3, need to FTVB as well? Is the 4# lower with dyno tune safe enough for a nervous guy like myself?
Im not looking for insane HP, just something more than stock.

My Current MODS are simple:
AEM Bruteforce CAI
Magnaflow CB
Belltech 2" spindles/3"shackles w/extenders
20" reps/falken ziex
Jason Hugger hard tonneau
Custom billet grilles

Any help would be great!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the FTVB as well and if you are worried about his skills why not just get one of the big 4 to email you a tune.
They can get it close enough on the first try probably and you could always datalog for them to get it dialed in if need be.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:02 PM
MJG
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im not too worried about his skills, he's done some lightnings like I said and a lot of ford performance vehicles, supercharged stangs etc, he's been around for years apparently. I was told doing a lower pulley and a dyno tune with flasher is not the most complicated thing and he can get it just right. Says about an hour on the dyno will do (is that right?) I wasn't sure or not if i should get FTVB as well...with the 4# and my other mods, what do you think i could shoot for rwhp wise?! (best guess)

Old 04-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's probably hundreds of L's over the years with 4lb lower pulleys with no problems. If your tuner is experienced with L's he shouldn't have any problems giving you a good tune.

You don't need the FTVB. The FTVB and other similar types of valve body mod's shorten your shift times (and you will "feel" the shift the bit) and will improve your 1/4 time slightly and some believe may lenghten the life of your trans somewhat - but other than that has no effect upon power or driveability.

Quick Reply: Mod Help