Lightning

Who Makes A Cop A Little More Voltage Than Oem

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone else’s opinion!!

I replaced all of mine under routine maintenance at 45K miles. While I will agree with XXXXX that the best’s ones to use are the OEM coil packs, I went with the Accel coil packs from JC Whitney. They were $25.00 apiece and for what it's worth, they've worked flawlessly for the past 5K miles.

Do you want to make a difference then try these!

http://www.pulstarplug.com/

2001 FORD LIGHT TRUCKS-(HD trucks follow this section), EXCURSION, 8 Cylinders, 5.4L , DirectHits P/N B8654-C

Each plug $315.00
Total for eight plugs $2,520.00!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Silver_2000
30 HP increase from simply changing coil packs ? BS
If the stock packs were working and nothing else was changed Im unclear how changing packs would make ANY HP difference. Spark is spark.

if the stockers were failing or falling off at higher RPMs maybe but then the fair comparison would have been to run 3 dyno runs
1) current setup
2) New OEM COP
3) New Aftermarket COP

I bet the difference between 2 and 3 would be less than 5%

Well,..... if you watch that video clip, they did do 3 test runs, a base run on stock cop's, a run with just changing the boots and what they call the "rope" section or the short braided plug wire, and the last one by adding the new coil unit onto the rope sections.

The dyno isn't lying here unless someone is rigging test results somehow or adding octane booster in there somewhere.

Just the change from the coiled spring sections to the new braided stainless ones without the coil sections added around 6 hp or more to the GT if I remember right, which in itself is actually pretty good. I would have to watch the video again to make sure.

If someone wanted to keep their old coil units for the time being, the addition of the new stainless braided sections wouldn't be a bad change, at least by going off the dyno results.

Really,... I don't have no dog in this hunt, I could care less either way for the most part, but when someone actually does dyno time and films results, they have my attention for the moment.

Last edited by Daves01L; 05-08-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Talking Granatelli Coils Packs Installed Awesome

I just installed Granatelli coil packs on my JDM heavy modded engine i can feel the difference December was last dyno pull i will keep you informed of horsepower gains the old cops must have been weak because this lightning wants to run now talk about power out put i will bet i picked up 30 horsepower. WOW,

Old 05-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The placebo effect and butt dyno go hand in hand. I never trust SOTP for performance mods.

Why not get a cheap g meter? They are excellent for before-and-after mods measurments!

Old 05-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by oldfrmtrk
Someone else’s opinion!!

I replaced all of mine under routine maintenance at 45K miles. While I will agree with XXXXX that the best’s ones to use are the OEM coil packs, I went with the Accel coil packs from JC Whitney. They were $25.00 apiece and for what it's worth, they've worked flawlessly for the past 5K miles.

2001 FORD LIGHT TRUCKS-(HD trucks follow this section), EXCURSION, 8 Cylinders, 5.4L , DirectHits P/N B8654-C

Each plug $315.00
You might want to check the pricing here....http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_ap...1&AAIA=1414730

Old 05-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by tlfwatch
I just installed Granatelli coil packs on my JDM heavy modded engine i can feel the difference December was last dyno pull i will keep you informed of horsepower gains the old cops must have been weak because this lightning wants to run now talk about power out put i will bet i picked up 30 horsepower. WOW,
Track your gas mileage for a bit if you would please. I like finding parts that improve that aspect also.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by oldfrmtrk
Someone else’s opinion!!

Each plug $315.00
Hmm....
http://www.pulstarplug.com/howtobuy....engine=1372485

Old 05-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Daves01L
. . . when someone actually does dyno time and films results, they have my attention for the moment.
Agreed. I'm always demanding this kind of documentation from vendors, and I'm not going to discount it out-of-hand when it's provided.

Additionally, in this case, they could not have been more methodical. Same day, same dyno, step-by-step.

As to whether the stockers were bad, how many miles do you think that the GT had on it? I'd be surprised if it even had 10K on the odo.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
Agreed. I'm always demanding this kind of documentation from vendors, and I'm not going to discount it out-of-hand when it's provided.

Additionally, in this case, they could not have been more methodical. Same day, same dyno, step-by-step.

As to whether the stockers were bad, how many miles do you think that the GT had on it? I'd be surprised if it even had 10K on the odo.

There are too many people in this business looking for us to just trust their word of mouth claims and I really don't like spending money that way if I don't have to. It is always good when a company goes the extra mile for us.

You bring up a good point I never really thought about, that GT certainly didn't have many miles on it, and the stock cop's were able to be shown as inferior against the aftermarket product in this case. The trusted stance was "the stock cops are just fine" and this seems to be true against most of the other products in this area, but this stance was shot out of the water with the Granatelli's.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by Silver_2000
30 HP increase from simply changing coil packs ? BS
If the stock packs were working and nothing else was changed Im unclear how changing packs would make ANY HP difference. Spark is spark.

if the stockers were failing or falling off at higher RPMs maybe but then the fair comparison would have been to run 3 dyno runs
1) current setup
2) New OEM COP
3) New Aftermarket COP

I bet the difference between 2 and 3 would be less than 5%

I have to agree with this...in the vid (first two tests) you can clearly hear the engine miss firing at what I would guess is around 4500 rpm.....the last test....not so much.

Quick Reply: Who Makes A Cop A Little More Voltage Than Oem