Lightning

Who Makes A Cop A Little More Voltage Than Oem

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Who Makes A Cop A Little More Voltage Than Oem

I am looking for cops a little more voltage, than oem coils excell etc some may produce more voltage than needed would like mabey between 25000 and 30000 voltage should be some manufacture out there. 2003 lightning THANKS

Last edited by tlfwatch; 05-03-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check with WeaponX:

Old 05-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Exclamation Granatelli Cops

I have made a choice to go with the granatelli cops now i must find a vendor with a good $price anyone know of such a dealer thanks

Old 05-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

There are several companies that manufature coils that supposedly have higher output. But you'll sacrifice reliability with them. I'd just stick with the stockers. There's guys running 9's with them.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Weapon x has a nice set of coils, but I agree if it works why screw around, go with the stockers.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by tlfwatch
I have made a choice to go with the granatelli cops now i must find a vendor with a good $price anyone know of such a dealer thanks
You might want todo a little more research before you buy. Check a few other lightning enthusiast sites & search the product you are going to purchase. You will be glad you did!
PS: Unless you are running extremely high boost, you can't beat the FoMoCo OEM COP for reliability & performance.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:47 AM

Troyer performance sells them, not sure about others.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:58 AM
I thought that it was common knowledge that the after market Coil Packs were a waste ?

Old 05-06-2008, 09:37 PM
If more people "used" the "search" function, they'd have learned what others have experienced with the OEM coils - and wouldn't ask the same questions over and over.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Yep, after 7 years of reading on this subject, it has been concluded through trial and error, that the OEM COP’s are the best. And should be replaced at about 100K, good or bad.

Evidently after they age the performance seems to drop, they work but not as strong, I have had mine now for about 98K, and have not really noticed any drop in performance.

However; I will replace all of them, keep the old ones as spares, probably get the new ones OEM from LFP, they seem to have a good price, and also give any HALO club member a discount!

Old 05-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Talking Not According To Mr. Mike Troyer

Originally Posted by oldfrmtrk
Yep, after 7 years of reading on this subject, it has been concluded through trial and error, that the OEM COP’s are the best. And should be replaced at about 100K, good or bad.

Evidently after they age the performance seems to drop, they work but not as strong, I have had mine now for about 98K, and have not really noticed any drop in performance.

However; I will replace all of them, keep the old ones as spares, probably get the new ones OEM from LFP, they seem to have a good price, and also give any HALO club member a discount!
Not according to mr mike troyer, he should know more than some of these so called lightning experts And also these lightnings have weak coils who wants to dispute that. I'll take mikes word any day. The search engine is for everybody not just mr. francis

Last edited by tlfwatch; 05-07-2008 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-07-2008, 07:15 PM
60KV!!!!!!!!!! doesn't mean hotter spark.

The energy equation of an ignition coil is:

E=1/2 L*I*I where L is the inductance of the primay winding, and I is the peak coil current at time of spark.

These specs are not secret. They can be measured with the right equipment.

Energy stored in the coil can be calculated by plugging these numbers into the equation.

If I were marketing a high energy coil, I would want to use this equation in my advertising. Maybe not. To the general public, 60KV!!!!!!!! looks scary.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Not according to mr mike troyer, he should know more than some of these so called lightning experts And also these lightnings have weak coils who wants to dispute that. I'll take mikes word any day. The search engine is for everybody not just mr. francis
I would agree.

I bothered to do a web search on the granatelli cop's, and it seems they had an original set before the now current set they sell. The original set were the ones that everyone had problems with, mustang owners and others alike, and hence the bad reputation now associated with the product.

The now current cop set was stated on another forum as being manufactured by a company called Micro-Tech, and according to dyno tests, they have delivered a quality product to Granatelli. Results were anywhere from around 15 hp increase to around 30 or so according to Granatelli. I watched a video of a Ford GT on a dyno that only installed the cops and documented a decent hp increase from them afterwards, so the product seems to be able to speak for itself now whereas before everyone had problems with them.

I'm no shill for their company, just someone who tries to research things as carefully as I can. I plan on buying a set for my 01L here in a month or so myself, and that decision is based partly on the dyno results I watched.

EDIT: Here is the GT video in watched: http://www.powertvonline.com/video_detail.php?mId=143

Last edited by Daves01L; 05-07-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:42 AM
I like Mike - He is a a class guy. Has been for years and years. BUT HUNDREDS of Lightning owners that changed from the OEM coil packs to after market and went back, will all tell you that the OEM packs are good.

Ask the fastest trucks here what coil pack they run. I bet over 75% are running ford parts

Old 05-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Daves01L
I would agree.

I bothered to do a web search on the granatelli cop's, and it seems they had an original set before the now current set they sell. The original set were the ones that everyone had problems with, mustang owners and others alike, and hence the bad reputation now associated with the product.

The now current cop set was stated on another forum as being manufactured by a company called Micro-Tech, and according to dyno tests, they have delivered a quality product to Granatelli. Results were anywhere from around 15 hp increase to around 30 or so according to Granatelli. I watched a video of a Ford GT on a dyno that only installed the cops and documented a decent hp increase from them afterwards, so the product seems to be able to speak for itself now whereas before everyone had problems with them.

I'm no shill for their company, just someone who tries to research things as carefully as I can. I plan on buying a set for my 01L here in a month or so myself, and that decision is based partly on the dyno results I watched.

EDIT: Here is the GT video in watched: http://www.powertvonline.com/video_detail.php?mId=143
30 HP increase from simply changing coil packs ? BS
If the stock packs were working and nothing else was changed Im unclear how changing packs would make ANY HP difference. Spark is spark.

if the stockers were failing or falling off at higher RPMs maybe but then the fair comparison would have been to run 3 dyno runs
1) current setup
2) New OEM COP
3) New Aftermarket COP

I bet the difference between 2 and 3 would be less than 5%

Quick Reply: Who Makes A Cop A Little More Voltage Than Oem