Lightning

Is the X-pipe required on true dual setups?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008 | 12:22 AM
|
Is the X-pipe required on true dual setups?**Pics and Video Added**

I just got my exhaust installed. At idle and low rpm's, it sounds really good, nice and throaty. But, at high rpm's like when I really get on it, it sounds poppy and flappy, almost like glasspacks, I guess. My setup consists of 2.5" pipe thru Bassani Hi-flows, then to two SI/SO Magnaflow mufflers, then out thru 18" x 3" stainless Magnaflow slash tips. There is no x-pipe, and I was wondering if this is whats causing the "funky flapping" sound? If I have the x-pipe installed, will it really change the sound of the exhaust at higher rpm's? Just wanting to be sure I need the x-pipe before I spend the money on it. Thanks.

Last edited by Screwed2002; 05-08-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-06-2008 | 06:59 AM
Originally Posted by Screwed2002
I just got my exhaust installed. At idle and low rpm's, it sounds really good, nice and throaty. But, at high rpm's like when I really get on it, it sounds poppy and flappy, almost like glasspacks, I guess. My setup consists of 2.5" pipe thru Bassani Hi-flows, then to two SI/SO Magnaflow mufflers, then out thru 18" x 3" stainless Magnaflow slash tips. There is no x-pipe, and I was wondering if this is whats causing the "funky flapping" sound? If I have the x-pipe installed, will it really change the sound of the exhaust at higher rpm's? Just wanting to be sure I need the x-pipe before I spend the money on it. Thanks.
Don't know if having an L makes a difference, but it's not required but it evens the sounds out. If you have a shop nearby they should be able to throw in an x-pipe for you for pretty cheap.

It shouldn't sound poppy of flappy though.

- NCSU

Old 05-06-2008 | 05:19 PM
As far as I know (and that is very little) the stock muffler has an internal X pipe.

When I changed the original muffler for those $20 jobbers, and cut the first two catbacks, the back alley mechanic (no real muffler shop mechanic would remove the catbacks, it is illegal here in Texas) well anyway in between the whisky sips, he said I needed an X pipe.

According to him this device balances both sides of the exhaust, because one bank is always exhausting, left, right, and with the X pipe the flow is constant on both pipes past the X point.

I never gave it much thought, what can you say about an old drunk shade tree wrench, past his prime and have been retired for at least 50 years…

Old 05-06-2008 | 08:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by oldfrmtrk
As far as I know (and that is very little) the stock muffler has an internal X pipe.

When I changed the original muffler for those $20 jobbers, and cut the first two catbacks, the back alley mechanic (no real muffler shop mechanic would remove the catbacks, it is illegal here in Texas) well anyway in between the whisky sips, he said I needed an X pipe.

According to him this device balances both sides of the exhaust, because one bank is always exhausting, left, right, and with the X pipe the flow is constant on both pipes past the X point.

I never gave it much thought, what can you say about an old drunk shade tree wrench, past his prime and have been retired for at least 50 years…
According to this article your mechanic is on the money.

For any performance exhaust system, some type of crossover connecting the two sides of a dual exhaust system is important because it acts to balance the two banks of the engine. The common H-style crossover is good at balancing sound pulses between the two halves, but does little to promote scavenging because the exhaust gases tend to follow the path of least resistance, which is straight through each pipe rather than taking the 90-degree turn through the H-pipe into the other half of the system. In an X-pipe system, however, where the two sides of the system intersect, the gasses have no choice but to intermingle as they pass through the junction. This promotes improved scavenging effects by smoothing out uneven exhaust pulses from the engine’s firing order. It also helps quiet down the exhaust, resulting in a mellower, less raspy tone. According to Magnaflow, the faster acceleration of the gasses through an X-pipe causes them to flow in a linear fashion parallel to the walls of the tubing rather than tumbling. This “laminar” flowing gas is much quieter than tumbling gas, resulting in an exhaust tone up to 8 decibels quieter than a traditional H-pipe.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ion/index.html

Old 05-07-2008 | 11:42 PM
|
x-pipe installed, VERY NOTICEABLE difference in tone. At idle it is a hair quieter now, and at WOT it doesn't sound flappy or poppy at all. Not sure what it sounds like exactly, but it sounds good. I was driving into my garage at work tonight and DANG, It was obnoxiously loud!! Setting off car alarms and everything. You can definitely tell the truck has ***** now!! I have some pics and video of the before and after, but I left my darn camera at the house. I will post up tomorrow night. Thanks for all the help guys. And BTW, the truck goes to PSI Motorsports for the Dyno Tune on Friday morning, I can't wait......

Old 05-08-2008 | 09:46 AM
I ran a set of Long Tubes,high flow mids into two magnapacks. No x-pipe, was not that raspy going wot. Was loud and sounded good. Never knew you had to put a crossover pipe on any kind of aftermarket duel setup. I know of a lot of cars/trucks that don't here in texas that don't put them on. Must not be a problem in North Texas.

Old 05-08-2008 | 10:10 PM
|

Last edited by Screwed2002; 05-08-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2008 | 10:18 PM
|

Last edited by Screwed2002; 05-08-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-14-2008 | 12:07 AM
I have long tubes with an x-pipe...it sounds awesome. You will get pops dropping off from high RPMs, comes with the territory.

--Dan

Quick Reply: Is the X-pipe required on true dual setups?