Lightning

Installed JL ram air today, but no increase in boost.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2001 | 04:50 PM
|
Meiwah98,
It seems to me that the JL ramair kit made less of a difference than my airraid did on my 2000. Silver-y2k-svt is probably right in all his answers and probably the most correct one is that the stock air box flows more air than did the '99 and '00s. Therefore on the'01s it is less important to have ramair or cone filters. But I love the look of the JL ramair and it sounds much nicer than stock. Seat of the pants cannot detect any power difference. But as everyone on the board sayes, "every little bit helps". And the Airraid advertises 15 to 20 hp gain probably because they are talking about the '99s and '00s.

------------------
Dave
'01 White
Alpine CDA-7875
MB Quarz
Rockford Fosgate Punch
JL ramair

[This message has been edited by SVTDAVE (edited 05-30-2001).]

Old 05-30-2001 | 07:10 PM
Thanks. I hope JL reads this strand, I wanna do something to the stock airbox, but not if an aftermarket kit doesn't produce anything substantial. Johnny, can you suggest anything else? Or are we off base here?

What are the '01's to do? Don't want to add a chip yet, just adding right now a single blade t/b from Mark at LightningForce.

Old 05-30-2001 | 07:27 PM
Question

I have a question for Silver-Y2K-SVT.

Its my understanding that supercharged vehicles are affected less by altitude/Baro. pressure than NA vehicles. Meaning if a Lightning and Cobra race at sea level and are dead even, then they race at 3000' elevation the Lightning should have less of a performance loss and win easily. Is this true or false and why?

Thanks in advance

------------------
Scott

Old 05-30-2001 | 08:07 PM
Cool

My guess is that your POS stock gauge doesn't show any gain. For what's it worth dept., I did indeed show more boost with the JL ram-air setup over the stock airbox. But then again, Iam using the POS stock gauge .

------------------
1999 Black Lightning... 1940 of 4000... Traded for: 2001 Silver Bolt... Adopted 3/24/01... Red Line Water Wetter... Wet Okole's... Bed Rug... JL Stage II Ram air... Chipless in Jersey

Old 05-30-2001 | 11:26 PM
well. i know for a fact the ram air kit does indeed work..we have to take in consideration of the air temps when testing it. the colder the air the better it will work..we all know how much better these trucks run when its cold outside! now just force some more of that cold air up to the mass air and we'll see a big! improvment..of course the hotter the air the less improvment we'll see. but the way i figure it, any outside air is better no matter what way we look at it.. i do know when we first came out with it i was running 13.0-1 no one had hit the 12's yet and we were going to the mod.motor shootout.i put the ram air on fridaynight and my first pass was a 12.89 then the 2nd pass was a 12.85..needless to say i was very excited! the next day was the shootout and my first pass was a 12.92 then i went 12.84 then a 12.86 i did win the event since Racer X fell asleep at the light LOL! so seriously it does work but just like anything else to get the optimum performance we must remember the colder the air the better it will work! as far as getting more boost i saw betwen 1-2lbs. more with the ram air over the stock box,but with the 01's we probably won't see that much of an increase around 1lb. but remember were now forcing the outside air up to the engine and this will produce more power and lower et's and yes better fuel economy.if we stay out of the throttle! with the blower now screaming! thats hard to do..another thing to keep in mind these blowers need all the air they can get the ram air is providing the extra air it needs along with the 12" open end filter we use..the next time were at the track just check out the airsetups on the trucks and see what they have i'm sure you'll see many of the trucks that are running good times have the JLRam air on..ive run 12.0@112 and i'm not about to take mine off! JL

------------------
93 cobra 10.90@127.00
99 lightning (black)
E.T. 12.06
best mph 112
60 ft. 1.65
(All Throttle No Bottle!)
JL ram air
JL Powercooler
2# pulley
Level 10 shift kit
PI Converter!
DiabloSport Dist.!
(KEEP IT BETWEEN THE LINES!)
Proud!F-150 Supporting Vendor
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
JohnnyLightning Performance
E-mail: jlightningracing@cs.com
JohnnyLightningWebpage

Old 05-30-2001 | 11:32 PM
|
Thanks for the clarification Johnny. Come to think of it I put my airraid on my 2000 in the winter and noticed a gain in boost. Anyway, just put yours on and its NOT coming off!!Thanks for a great product!

------------------
Dave
'01 White
Alpine CDA-7875
MB Quarz
Rockford Fosgate Punch
JL ramair

Old 05-31-2001 | 12:00 AM
To answer your original question, There wouldn't be any increase in boost. The SC is designed to make only so much, to do more you would need to spin it more as in pulley changes. The ram air effect would show up at high speeds, 100-140 MPH maybe.
A good example is when you spray with nos at 1000 psi into the intake, it doesn't increase boost either and is alot more than any ram air will do to increase intake presures.

Later

Old 05-31-2001 | 12:09 AM
Im happy with mine

Old 05-31-2001 | 12:25 AM
Okay, I know I could do a search and "read all about it" (isn't that from a TV Guide commercial or something? I digress...), but I think a lot of people are still unclear about what this "mod" actually does (because I know I am). If anyone IS in the know, does this REALLY change the amount of boost you make/ where it starts to build/ "work", or merely where it SHOWS it working on the gage, thereby causing a placebo effect- where you think you're faster because it looks that way on the boost gage? I'm not saying that it doesn't work (mainly because I have never tried it), but unless it is analagous to changing the timing on a bike by twisting the stator plate underneath the flywheel, I have a feeling it might only SHOW a gain and not really do anything. I'm not trying to downplay the possible effects that doing this mod might have, I'm just looking for more positive info from someone, instead of this David Copperfield smoke and mirrors shaz (unless of course I somehow end up with his wife/ex-wife, then I'll let it all slide and jump in head first. jk). later...

------------------
Being Single...
Seeing Double...
Going for the triple
(((Garrett))))
'00 Silver Lightning
'01 CR250
'00 NESC MX Amateur Champ
#65 NESC / #465 AMA

motoxer@wpi.edu
gkaye@rjagroup.com
AOL IM: GK65A

Old 05-31-2001 | 12:49 AM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Silver,

Just like the lower clunk-trol arm?

Old 05-31-2001 | 12:51 AM
Neither mod adds any boost. The only mod that increases boost appreciably is a new pulley.

The actuator boost would change WHEN the SC kicks in. It might result in better part throttle performance.

The JL Ram Air kit will allow you to grab some air from below the bumper. At best, I think it supplies a marginal increase in cooler air. It is not a closed system, so it can't pressurize the intake.

Neither is good for much in the way of ETs, IMO. As best I could tell, The max benefit I got from the Ram Air was .05 secs, which is too close to call.

------------------
Regards,
Gordon

'99 Red Lightning
Johnny Lightning Superchip
Johnny Lighting Ram Air Kit
Century Tonneau
Best 1/4 mi. ET: 13.249 secs

Old 05-31-2001 | 01:17 AM
I like mine.

------------------
Stevie-Ray
00 Red L #3460
JL Stage 2 Ram Air
Clear tails
Custom mats
ARE LSII
Bedrug
Keypad entry
Homedics Back Expert 2000
SVT Front End Cover

Old 05-31-2001 | 01:39 AM
Just to comment on "barometric pressure"

Being supercharged one would not think that the barometric pressure would not affect the Lightnings as much as naturally aspriated vehicles.
However..... I have a very nice barometer right at my front door. I look at it every time I leave the house. In my humble opinion the BP makes a HUGE difference on how the Lightning runs.... almost more than temp and humidity. 29.5 BP it feels sluggish and lazy, 30.5 BP much more responsive, and snaps the tires loose with ease. Being barely above sea level in Portland doesn't hurt either.

Old 05-31-2001 | 02:05 AM
NOSTROMO
Smile

I'm in love with mine.

Old 05-31-2001 | 02:12 AM
B.P. is the main thing..IF YOU ASK ME We here on the EASY COAST at CECIL COUNTY DRAGWAY in MD, have seen BP's as high as 32.05...yes!! over 32.00 And believe you me, cut that back to 29.50, and your easily looking at a 2-3 tenths difference even with a 29.+ BP, which is still VERY GOOD AIR. But that good stuff usually happens in the FALL around here ..IMO How about a OCT L meet at CECIL ??? Hmmm.....

THE"GREEK"

Quick Reply: Installed JL ram air today, but no increase in boost.