Lightning

Installed JL ram air today, but no increase in boost.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

SVTDAVE
When you went to JL air setup, you increased the load on the supercharger. Anything you do to increase the breathing ability of the blower will cause it to require more power to turn it.

Replace the blower drive belt. Some wonderful person on this board suggested a Gates #KO80660, it is slightly shorter and will grip the pulleys better. If you have a shift kit, you will notice that the belt will stop squealing on up and down shifts, at least for a little while.

I was joking around one day and said that I should change the drive belt at every oil change, but if your really into keeping your truck running tops, its not that dum of a thing to say.

Anyway, I have seen this little change pickup as much as 2lbs of boost (Action 911's truck).

One more thing, If you do have a fresh drive belt, I don't think you will see any change if you adjust the boost thing a ma jig. As a matter of fact it may slow down the boost response time.

Spiro (Pilgrim)
Looks like ya gotta Texan gunnin fer ya.

Dale

[This message has been edited by Bad as L (edited 06-01-2001).]

Old 05-31-2001, 11:41 PM
J Man: yes the filter was connected to the tubing. you must have seen it when i had it apart cleaning the end of the filter or something. but there's no way in this world i wouldn't have the filter connected to the tube..because like you said that would defeat the purpose..JL

------------------
93 cobra 10.90@127.00
99 lightning (black)
E.T. 12.06
best mph 112
60 ft. 1.65
(All Throttle No Bottle!)
JL ram air
JL Powercooler
2# pulley
Level 10 shift kit
PI Converter!
DiabloSport Dist.!
(KEEP IT BETWEEN THE LINES!)
Proud!F-150 Supporting Vendor
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
JohnnyLightning Performance
E-mail: jlightningracing@cs.com
JohnnyLightningWebpage

Old 06-01-2001, 12:09 AM
Silver-Y2K-SVT - then what would you say about the Cervini Ram Air hood and ram air setup (if they ever release it)?

Old 06-01-2001, 12:34 AM
'Oblivious:

First, I'd like to point out (before somebody else does) that I'm not the supreme authority on Lightning induction systems.

As for the fabled ram-air hood (I've seen some pictures), the intake area and ducting looks too small, ill-shaped, and twisted to have the sort of huge effect we're looking for. However, with the stock airbox, any increase in inlet area will pay dividends. If that inlet area sucks in cold air, it's even better. And if that inlet area lets in pressurized air (at speed), it's even better.

Just how well this hood works (I suspect not too well) remains to be seen. Looks like a tough engineering challenge to get pressurized air from the top of the hood to the lower chamber of the airbox, especially with a duct large enough to give any ram effect.

Quick Reply: Installed JL ram air today, but no increase in boost.