Lightning

ARE Lid causing damage to paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ARE Lid causing damage to paint

I've had my ARE lid on my L for about 5 years now and somehow the lid apparently got dis-adjusted (if that's a word) and has caused some paint to rub off at the very top of my tailgate (just under the lid). It's about 1 foot long maybe a quarter inch in width. It looks terrible. Some parts of it seem to be down to the metal. Should I get the entire tailgate re-painted or could this be taken care of by getting somebody to touch this up? Any idea on what I should be willing to pay to have either done?

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think that a decent shop would be able to touch this up just fine w/o repaintning the whole gate.

Jim

Old 05-17-2008, 11:41 AM
I had a little problem with the corners of my bed that were rubbed by my *******'s lid. I used a Dremel tool and ground off the offending fiberglass under the lid and haven't had any more problems. If you get your truck repainted, think about fixing the inside of your lid that is causing the problem.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:03 PM
going to have to try the dremmel trick on my *******...it's definitely rubbing pretty bad. has yours started to loosen up or anything?

Old 05-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by crash_lucky13
going to have to try the dremmel trick on my *******...it's definitely rubbing pretty bad. has yours started to loosen up or anything?
I had two small spots where the lid rubbed on the upper corners of my bed and traced them to the inside corners on my lid. I then slowly removed a little fiberglass at a time until I felt that the protruding fiberglass was gone. Since then I haven't noticed any more scuffing on those corners. If you use the Dremel technique, take a LITTLE bit off at a time.

Quick Reply: ARE Lid causing damage to paint