Lightning

Rod Problem quick question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rod Problem quick question?

I notice that many L have the rod cracking problem. Is it just few from the whole that happens to, or is it a problem that chances are its going to happen?
My L is babied like crazy and its 100% stock. Its a true blue 02 L with only 32,000 miles. 15miles are pure highway. and it is ran hard rarely. What should i prob. expect in the future?

Old 05-17-2008, 10:13 AM
The connecting rods are considered by most to be more than strong enough in stock applications. You should be fine for many many miles. The problems arrise from owners heavily modifying the trucks. Adding boost, leaning mixtures, and advancing timing. The rods do not take too well to detonation.
Stay stock, and run premium fuel. That way you are not likely to have an issue.
Jim

Old 05-17-2008, 11:49 AM
The only major mod that i will consider in the future is a 4lb and a exhaust that i might get tuned at swansons performance (here good stuff about him). Is that enough in the future to cause a rod to breaK?

Old 05-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Once again. Adding boost(4#), advancing timing and leaning the A/F mixture(tuning), definately add risk. Many get years of service at these power levels, while some vent their blocks by breaking rods. Always mod knowing this is a possibility.
Jim

Old 05-17-2008, 03:19 PM
What CT said. In stock form these engines are nearly bullet proof. No rods in existence will withstand detonation on force fed engines.

All Lightning years are great years.

The intercooler is a non-issue as Ford has replaced them with the 01+ style.

Sal at PSP claims that 99-00 have better rods.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:50 PM
At what psi level is considered still safe? IF i add any more boost (maybe in the future) i will 100% for sure get it tuned by a pro (swansons) I think for now im just going to work on suspension (traction) and transmission and exhaust. I really dont want to just put a pulley and be satisfied, it will probably be the last thing on my mind but i would like to know at what psi is considered the most power that will most likely keep my engine safe.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Your going to get different opinions but I believe the 4lber is the best option and the most bang for the buck and with the proper tune pretty dam safe, do some searching, most tossed stock block's are-cold weather and 6lber plus.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:38 PM
I have a 4lber and filter, no tune,60k miles like that no issues..risky? maybe, but it would just give me an excuse to get a built block and bigger blower

chris

Old 05-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by cobra331a4y
I have a 4lber and filter, no tune,60k miles like that no issues..risky? maybe, but it would just give me an excuse to get a built block and bigger blower

chris
Actually, having no tune probably is keeping you safer. Tuning requires timing advance to pick up power. Also leaning the mixture in some cases. Those make detonation a bigger possobility. The stock tune is VERY conservative.
Jim

Old 05-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Arrow

As long as you get a good safe tune a 4#'er will be fine. Like most have said be sure to also get some NGK TR6's along with the 4#'er and good tune. If you're near FL check out Sal @ PSP, in NY area JDM, and i've heard good things about Troyer tunes and Swanson but i'm not sure where they're located. Oh, and PSI Motorsports if you're in Houston,TX area. The Xcal2 (and now 3 if i'm not mistaken) are really good hand-held tuners that most major guys have software to tune w/. Also, think about a FTVB to add to the tranny for nice, firm shifts. just my .02

peace

Old 05-18-2008, 10:05 PM
As far as the transmission valve (which I heard is a good/safe mod) Could i put one on without a tune and is it going to affect the life of my tranny or anything else bad that can happen

Old 05-20-2008, 11:20 AM
If you do a "search" in here you'll find that many have installed one of the available "transmission bodies" or a "line valve" with no apparent transmisison problems since about 2000. I've had the FTVB in mine since 2002 with no problems. Whether it will make a difference in 100k miles - I don't think can be answered easily as there aren't that many Lightnings with that number of miles on them with any type of trans mod.

No, you don't need any kind of "tune" adjustment after installing one.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by Robert Francis
Whether it will make a difference in 100k miles - I don't think can be answered easily as there aren't that many Lightnings with that number of miles on them with any type of trans mod.
I'm one of them. 105k miles. 6# and FTVB after 40 or 60k miles (can't remember it's been so long ago). Swanson tuned. He put TR6's in at same time. Still running good. Still will bust tires loose on 1/2 shift like the day I put in the FTVB. All normal maintenance done. Always RP or Mobil 1 fluids.

I was only recently getting some deto on loading low RPM's but a fuel filter change seemed to help (I also think fuel quality is declining with increasing prices...). Plus it's getting warmer. It's pretty much a retired truck though only hauling my bike (street) to the track and getting groceries. Been a bulletproof paid off ride for many years though. I did run the strip with it for a couple years a while back though. 12.7 on street tires and 91 octane ain't too bad for a haul truck. Definitely wouldn't want anything else out there.

You won't believe the difference once you mod these things

B

Quick Reply: Rod Problem quick question?