Lightning

Looking for brighter headlights.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001 | 07:21 PM
|
Question Looking for brighter headlights.

The high-beams on my 99L, #3682, are inadequate (no, let's make that Inadequate with a capital I). They don't reach far enough down the road. Ford's truck headlight engineers must think that no one ever drives faster than 60 mph at night. The good folks at SVT tell me that 01L headlights are no brighter than the ones on my truck--they just look a whole lot better. There's a warning posted here about "super brights" or "super whites". What are they? Does anyone have any suggestions?

(This is also posted in the Appearance Items forum.)

Old 06-01-2001 | 07:48 PM
try http://www.piaa.com

Lots of people stock them. They are made in stock wattage (about 55 watt) and in about 100 watt

Andy

Old 06-01-2001 | 08:29 PM
|
Thumbs up

Andy, thanks for the link. Revealing my incisive grasp of the obvious, these are replacements for the stock fog lamps, not replacement bulbs for the headlamps. I'll go looking in parts stores this weekend.

Old 06-01-2001 | 08:34 PM
I do know what you speak of, the infamous Ford single candle-power high beams. All of their trucks have this shortcoming.

I had to add lamps in the grille of my truck to add to the stock high beams, they only come on with the highs. They went on a week after I got the truck.

They are kind of ugly but behind the black grille they aren't that noticeable or I just got used to them. Looking back, I should have gotten smaller oval shaped ones, instead of Hella high power driving lamps, they are BRIGHT and cast a long beam though. (they are 2.5" square lamps)

I also added a relay to allow the fogs and the low beams to stay on with the high beams as well. I did the mod of the headlight switch as well, to have the fogs on with autolamp.

Old 06-03-2001 | 12:43 AM
Big Red, that link, under bulbs, under 9000 series, model 9007, is the DOT replacement for stock bulbs in the headlights. They work better for me. more white, less yellow.
but the pattern still has holes in it. The light is spead out too wide.

------------------
Red 99

Quick Reply: Looking for brighter headlights.