Lightning

New steering wheel installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008 | 01:18 PM
|
New steering wheel installed!!

After trying and trying to find the correct adapter to fit our Gen.2 and HD trucks, I thought the company Lecarra would be my only option. Not to fond on there steering wheel selection.. So I figure if Lecarra made an adapter for the 92-94 F150,Bronco, and Vans, Then Grant should have that same adapter.. So I spoke to a customer service rep. from Grant and found that adapter. It is part number 5275 I opted for the black billet adapter, they also have a polished one too for the guys that like the bling.. I was told by the customer service rep. that witht his adapter the only choice steering wheels would be anything in the signature series line. I opted to use the Grant Corsa GT genuine leather wrapped wheel. It is perferated leather and matches my black leatehr buckets I have. It also has a nice comfortable fat grip and is also smaller then the stocker. Stock wheel was something like 15" this wheel is 13-3/4" in diameter. I sold my stock wheel with airbag for $400 and this setup cost me only $241 shipped. The steering was a bit pricey at $181.99 and the adapter was just as much as some of the steering wheels at $82.99 it was'nt cheap..
The whole package through JEGS $277.97.. I think it is well worth the money though for me and my goals of the truck. I made one mistake and broke the clock spring which is the power to all of the controls to the factory wheel. That means it also controls our horn.. So now I will have to wire it myself to the new wheel no big deal.. I honestly think the adapter WILL NOT FIT over the clock spring anyway. So it is a modification to make your horn work. Here are a few pictures for your enjoyment.

Old 06-01-2008 | 02:00 PM
Looks good Rich...I use my cruise-control way too much to loose the factory set-up, but I do wish there was a smaller, nicer factory type wheel that could be swapped in.

Old 06-01-2008 | 02:09 PM
|
Originally Posted by NJ SILVERBULLET
Looks good Rich...I use my cruise-control way too much to loose the factory set-up, but I do wish there was a smaller, nicer factory type wheel that could be swapped in.
Thanks Mark

Old 06-01-2008 | 02:58 PM
I likie that wheel.

I'd like one with a little wood on it for some reason ...LOL

I "also" can't loose the Cruise..

Old 06-01-2008 | 04:04 PM
looks really good

Old 06-01-2008 | 07:20 PM
Not impressed. As said above by doing this you loose your cruise control and IMO you also are removing one of the most important saftet devices on your truck, the drivers airbag. I'd haft to give that mod a thumbs down.

Old 06-01-2008 | 08:53 PM
|
Originally Posted by f150freak
Not impressed. As said above by doing this you loose your cruise control and IMO you also are removing one of the most important saftet devices on your truck, the drivers airbag. I'd haft to give that mod a thumbs down.
The truck is no longer a daily driven street truck.. Im making it more of a race truck that get trailered to the track.. Cruise control was removed the moment I heard of the recall.. I lightend the truck up and even removed my heat and AC, and radio.. your thumbs down means nothing to me.. Everyone has the right to be different and do what they want with the vehicles they own...

Old 06-01-2008 | 10:05 PM
What did the stocker with airbag weigh? Is there that much demand for a stock wheel? Seems like you got a good price! I like the mod.
Jim

Old 06-01-2008 | 11:19 PM
|
Originally Posted by Ct.TOPGUN
What did the stocker with airbag weigh? Is there that much demand for a stock wheel? Seems like you got a good price! I like the mod.
Jim
Jim that stock wheel with the airbag is pretty heavy.. If I had to guess I would say close to 20lbs.. This new setup is only 5.5lbs!!! lol

Old 06-02-2008 | 03:25 AM
I just shipped mine to have it recovered in suede. On my bathroom scales, the entire package was only 5 lbs.

Old 06-02-2008 | 04:16 AM
|
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
I just shipped mine to have it recovered in suede. On my bathroom scales, the entire package was only 5 lbs.
the stock wheel and air bag?? If so your scale is off way off.. Or do you mean an after market setup??

Old 06-03-2008 | 01:00 AM

thats the kindof bathroom scale i need

Old 06-03-2008 | 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Hostile03SVT
the stock wheel and air bag?? . . .
Stock wheel without bag.

The scale may be off (it's especially hard to tell really small weights on one of those things). It might weigh 4 or 6. The wheel is just a thin aluminum spider and ring, covered with plastic and leather.

For the wheel/bag combo to weigh 20 lbs, the airbag would have to weigh well over 10 lbs. I can't see how that's remotely possible. My guess is a couple of pounds. I'd be shocked if the whole combo was even 10 lbs.

Old 06-03-2008 | 12:31 PM
|
Stock wheel without bag.

The scale may be off (it's especially hard to tell really small weights on one of those things). It might weigh 4 or 6. The wheel is just a thin aluminum spider and ring, covered with plastic and leather.

For the wheel/bag combo to weigh 20 lbs, the airbag would have to weigh well over 10 lbs. I can't see how that's remotely possible. My guess is a couple of pounds. I'd be shocked if the whole combo was even 10 lbs.

I really wish I still had my setup I would go to the post office where my buddy works and weigh it..

Old 06-03-2008 | 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Hostile03SVT
I really wish I still had my setup I would go to the post office where my buddy works and weigh it..
Me too. I had the damn thing sitting on my tonneau for about a month, and just never thought to weigh it. If I can find the box that it came back in and it lists the shipping wieght, I'll post it.

Quick Reply: New steering wheel installed!!