Lightning

Rules for US SVT dealers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2001 | 01:06 PM
|
I got my first oil change free at the SVT dealer where I bought my Lightning. When I picked it up I asked if he had checked the intercooler level. He asked what it was. I said it was for the supercharger. He said "You put a supercharger on this thing?!?"

Not all SVT dealers have qualified technicians.

------------------
<A HREF="http://users.ev1.net/~temurphy/lightning/" TARGET=_blank> </A><A HREF="http://haloclub.svt-lightning.com" TARGET=_blank> </A>
2000 Black Lightning

Old 06-06-2001 | 01:17 PM
Thumbs down

That might be true on paper, but here (BC) any dealer can sell you a SVT. The dealer in White Rock is small and not SVT certified, and still sold 3 Lightnings last year.

Old 06-06-2001 | 02:16 PM
Talking

Yeah, mine and one other L I know of came from my non-SVT dealer. They obtained them thru a trade with an SVT dealer in PA. But they told me since they don't have any mechanics that have had the SVT training, they can't work on it.

DreaminaboutL pointed out that on page 15 of the manual suppement that even a Mercury/Lincoln dealer is supposed to be able to work on it. I checked - he's right, that's what it says alright. And I like my selling dealer's service people for once. They just laughed about me racing it and couldn't believe it beat GT's.

Old 06-06-2001 | 02:20 PM
Hey Blacklight, I used to live in White Rock. Got my '92 Mustang LX 5.0 from those guys. They will sell anything. If you check really close I believe they are technically selling used L's. The dealers us "Mules" to sell vehicles. Most of the autos going across the line are bought by "mules". The driving force is Greed. I'm now just south of the border from you and daily see trucks etc coming across. They get sold at new car dealers and auto lots. Hell they even had a HD on a used car lot down here before any of the Ford dealers got thiers. All they do is change the speedo at thier set. The buyer never knows.

------------------
'00 EB AWD.K&N,
Whitewalls turned in.
K&N Cat-Back
Clarion Mobile Video

Old 06-06-2001 | 02:37 PM
Its funny you guys are talking about this cause just today within the last 2 hours I have drove past to non SVT certifed dealers in chicagoland and saw 2001 lightnings for sale brand new. kinda pissed me off a bit.

------------------
Powered By: POWER SURGE PERFORMANCE Products.

www.powersurgeperformance.net/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Old 06-06-2001 | 03:02 PM
i've been told by many dealerships that all you have to have in order to be SVT authorized is 1 Million dollars in on site parts. If you think about it, that is huge. Also they have told me that any Ford Dealer is authorized to handle most warranty concerns, but when it comes to the engine they told me this: only the special "brown" team or whatever can touch it. no one else is allowed, some Ford rule or something. They told me that since the "brown" team wasn't in that day that they couldn't even LOOK at the engine.
It kinda pissed me off at start, but when I thought about it I actually was quite impressed.

------------------
'00 Black L'

AFTERMARKET STEREO: Memphis ST1000D amp(1100w@1ohm), Memphis ST3004 amp (75Wx4@4ohm), Memphis PR93 3-way 6x9's (Front), Fultron 2-way 5x7's (Rear), 2 Memphis 15-ST104D (10"Dual Voice Coil Subs), Custom Vinyl boxes and amp rack, Cascade Audio and Dynamat Xtreme Dampening Material in Doors and back of cab.

PLANNED MODS: Many Many Performance mods, Kenwood KVT-910DVD, Lightning Audio Stiffening Capacitor, A.R.E. LSII Bed Cover (possibly with a Fiero wing), BedRug Bed Liner, Clear Corners, Powdercoated Billet Grill, 'Vader' Custom License Plate, Window Tint, ?20 inch rims?, more, more, more....

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE FUNDS!!

Old 06-06-2001 | 05:26 PM
Cool

This is very interesting.
I know the loacal SVT approved dealer here has a SVT certified mechanic because he is a friend of mine, but I don't like the management at that dealer. I have another Ford dealer that I would rather deal with, they are considerably smaller, but provided me with excellent service when I bought a brand new 91 Mustang 5.0L LX years back.
I'm pretty sure they would deal on the price as well. I'm pretty sure the SVT approved dealer will want sticker price for there units. They wouldn't deal on a Cobra back in 96, so I bought a Trans Am instead.

I'll have to look into this option.

Thanks for the info guys!

------------------
Scott

Old 06-06-2001 | 08:21 PM
This is an interesting topic that I think will ellict many different answers...From what I have been told,to be able to sell and service SVT vechicles, the dealer MUST be SVT certified, which entails first of all qualifying by up fronting a (for lack of a better word) "franchise" fee, which I've heard can amount from 50K on up.Then they must have both sales AND service staff trained and certified in SVT products. Supposedly this amounts to"consderable" hours of workshops and "intensive" in depth training. (And just maybe lots of Krispy Kremes?) From what I hear, lots of the Ford service software MAY be able to cover MOST problems with SVT products, but there still is additional software and equipment/tools specfic to the SVT lines which the dealer must aquire. There are a few more requirements but alledgedly this is the major gist. A certain problem that I know about locally pertains to the issue that a certain NON certified dealer here sold a used L and told the owner that they could do any warranty work on it. This dealer has in the past sold "used" svt products by titling the vechicle to the corp. then "selling" it as used with like new mileage. Regardless, Ford told the dealer they absolutely could NOT do warranty work w/o being a"certified" svt dealer and another dealer questioned the ethics of a dealer selling a product of the Ford line that they couldn't work on. Its like, give me all your money and don't come back to me....Damn lousy if you ask me.

Old 06-06-2001 | 08:29 PM
Up in NJ you have to be SVT certified. The closest SVT dealer by me is Jack Trebour but I dont like goin to them. I've gotten both my 99 Lightning and my recent 99 Cobra from a place in Sunbury PA around two hours from me. The service and sales are incredible and they usually make deals even with the SVT vehicles. Had my L serviced at my local Ford dealer once and all they guys were lickin their lips cause they never saw one before. Found out later that they decided to take the L for a 5 mile spin. Why was the truck in there for you ask haha a broken seat and they all were like wow is that turbocharged. I just laughed and shook my head

Old 06-06-2001 | 08:49 PM
maybe I should know more about this, but I don't, still I thought I'd add my input. I am a Ford technician certified in almost every area of Ford training, however I have never heard (except from customers) about any "special SVT training" I work on plenty of Cobra's and Lightnings when they come into the shop, but I'm not aware of any special training that Ford offers. Ford does offer "new model training" courses on both the cobra and the lightning for both 01 and 02, but nobody is "required" to take these classes. I have done several intercooler replacements (as well as Cobra performance recalls) at my shop, and have talked to SVT on the phone on a few occasions, infact I've had them call me at work doing follow up after repair research questions (back when the first 99 models came out) and I've still never heard of any type of special training. Generally speaking whenever a customer comes into the shop with any kind of "performance vehicle" concern SVT or otherwise ie. SHO, Mustang, etc., someone usually points them in my direction anyway as I am one of a few technicians who are more knowlegeable about these areas and more over, just about the only one who doesn't mind talking to customers who come in with a bunch of questions. I think that the SVT Certified thing mostly is obtained through the sales department (although I'm not aware of any additional training that they get either, and as a side note, I have yet to meet a car salesman that new jack ***** about how a car works anyway). I guess my perception (not based on any solid information that I've gotten) is that the dealer most likely just pays a fee to be SVT Certified and then is allowed to sell SVT vehicles. maybe a few salesmen get special training, maybe not. This is the second dealership that I have worked for and never been signed up for any SVT school. I honestly don't recall seeing any type of SVT Certified Dealer signs up at my current (or previous dealership) but I know we sell buttloads of Cobras and I just bought my '01 Lightning here two weeks ago. I was brand new from Ford, not a DX (dealer transfer) when it came in on the 18 wheeler, the keys went directly into my hand. just thought I'd add my .02. have a nice day.

sincerely,
chris

Old 06-06-2001 | 09:15 PM
I have my Truck serviced at non SVT Dealership. They have an excellent service department and the mechanic that works on my truck is the "best". I have highly recommended others to this Dealership because it is the most professional Dealer I have ever dealt with.
It only took twice to the Dealer I bought my truck from to know it would never be through their doors again.

My .02..What Superfords said..any Ford or Lincoln Dealer can do warranty work.
Take your Truck to, and do business with a Good Service Dept.
Jim

Old 06-06-2001 | 09:57 PM
Talking

All you gotta do to be an SVT dealer is to pay FORD about $20,000 a year for the previlege.
noelvm

------------------

"ANYTHING OTHER THAN 1ST, SUCKS" (D.Earnhardt)
99.5 Red Ligntning, Mobil 1, PRO-M 80 MM MAF/filter, Custom Superchip, Eldebrock 5512 muffler, CAL TRACS, MT ET Streets, best time (1/8) 8.19, Bugflector II, G&H Lens covers head & fog, 200 WT Pioneer 4 CH AMP, BOSE 301 SERIES IV SPEAKERS (IN BACK)LONESTAR RACEWAY 2000 ROOKIE OF THE YEAR, STREET STOCK CHAMPION 01-01 TO 06-01 LONESTAR RACEWAY

Old 06-06-2001 | 11:05 PM
I have a good Idea of what you need to be an svt dealer.There is a 1 million dollar sevice thing that None of us know the details but its most likley not exactly as any of us think it is.Its on the idea of 1 million in inventory but its not that simple.There are expensive tools involved too.

There is a charge yearly to be a SVT dealer.I dont think its a cut and dry amount.Im under the impression it depends on how large your dealership is and how many SVT vechicles are allocated to the specific dealer.Im prety sure its $10k for my dealer which is pretty big. Like 7-9 lightnings for 99/00 each year and ???Cobras.I never asked on the cobras but Im positive on Lightnings.

Now for a couple of comments

They must not pay attention to how much a dealer keeps in stock because every time I order a part,It has to be ORDERED, SVT part or not!! But they did have a 93 tracer hood cable last time I went for one,Matter of fact,They had two.I almost bought both just so the next guy had to order it but,i only need one

Im Know for a fact that there are SVT sales training but its only for like 1 employee a dealership.

The only other thing i know for a fact is most techs I have talked to that work for ford dont know crap about my Lightning and every time I bring it in for service,a different monkey works on it,The last one knowing abosolutley ***** about it!!!!Ther is one guy who i really like though,His name is RON .I know hes sick of seeing my truck and going for rides with me but he doesnt play BS games.Even if its a slight vibration,He doesnt call it normal or "A VARIATION IN VECHICLES" Like most idiots do!!He tells the service writers that even though its minimal,Something IS wrong.I respect that!!!

In general the only thing you need to be aFord tech is the following.I know this for sure.........

1. You must be a valid USA citizen or had a green card issued in the last 5 years

2.You must have atleast one 118 piece crafstman tool set along with a tire plug kit.Patches are optional.

3.You must be ASE certified or have one of the diplomas you can buy on TV for 1 easy instalment of $29.95 + shipping

4.You must be able to make up intelligent mechanical bull***** to feed to customers when you little computer thingy tells you there is nothning wrong even if the car does not run or move

5. The most important thing they teach you at ford tech home/tv schooling is,you must be able to say,

"CANNOT DUPLICATE PROBLEM"

Old 06-07-2001 | 12:37 AM
Question Rules for US SVT dealers?

I posted this question in another thread, but it got locked before someone could answer.

Up here in Canada only select SVT approved Ford dealers can sell SVT vehicles. I believe there is 17 in total accross Canada. Among the requirements they have to have at least one mechanic sent away to take a special SVT certified course. These mechanics are supposed to know the SVT vehicles inside out.

Are the standards different in the US?

I get the impression that any Ford dealer can sell the SVT and most of them don't have SVT trained mechanics.

------------------
Scott

Old 06-07-2001 | 12:41 AM
Yeah... you have to move a certain volume of cars (aka, big) and have some SVT trained staff to sell SVT.

Daniel

Quick Reply: Rules for US SVT dealers?