Lightning

Trans problem while towing. Need input

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans problem while towing. Need input

I was using the lightning to tow A uhall car trailer and my mustang. When I got back from from the track rental I went to. I noticed trans fluid coming out from under the truck. trans Oil all over the inspection plate and a ruber seal under the trans. That day was a really hot day in the 90's. So did I damage the trans. Or is that the trans just got so hot that it need to get rid of some fluid. I don't know about these transmission. All I do know is that they are trans set up for F250/350 trucks.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:37 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
... WTF dude your post needs deleted and you need slapped along side the head.

anyways, my question is was there possibility of the trans being overfilled @ some point and time? spin the converter around and see if you still have a plug. or actually do these trans have plugs? i thought some years do and some dont.

maybe i should let someone else with more brains ask questions?

Old 06-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Klitch
... WTF dude your post needs deleted and you need slapped along side the head.

anyways, my question is was there possibility of the trans being overfilled @ some point and time? spin the converter around and see if you still have a plug. or actually do these trans have plugs? i thought some years do and some dont.

maybe i should let someone else with more brains ask questions?
Were you drunk when you posted this? The man comes on asking a question and you start name calling and bashing his thread. WTF? Doesnt sound like you know the answer and have anything constructive to say.

Jkstang78
I have heard of the 4r100 puking fluid due to overheating. Its possible there is fluid coming from the front seal also. Sorry I cant help more.

Jason

Old 06-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StruckBy99
. . . Doesnt sound like you . . . have anything constructive to say.
But he does have a Transgo shift kit and a bug deflector.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton

Stop it Tim, it's waaaaay to hot to laugh that much.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by Tim Skelton
that is one good looking bug deflector....

JK, it could be just getting hot and puking. but if you are towing i would add a trans cooler.

i have a friend that owns a tranny shop in huntington if you need someone to take a look at it. i just had my bronco e4od rebuilt by him and added a trans cooler and also a trans go shift kit!!!! just have to get my bug deflector back on and i am good to go.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
struck - you must not have seen the post i did AFTER the OP. it was a bunch of **** man, different font size changes and codes that did not work, font style changes, and was more like a story about american college or something if u tried to read it? sorry you didnt see what i seen and commented on. i was not bashing the op in any means.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by halflife
that is one good looking bug deflector....

JK, it could be just getting hot and puking. but if you are towing i would add a trans cooler.

i have a friend that owns a tranny shop in huntington if you need someone to take a look at it. i just had my bronco e4od rebuilt by him and added a trans cooler and also a trans go shift kit!!!! just have to get my bug deflector back on and i am good to go.
Hey Tom, and everyone else. Well I have been driving the the lightning around and it has not had any problems. Just the one day. I'm going to take it that it just overheated and had to puke some fluid. I also thought that these trucks came with a trans cooler. Or is it that it is just to small for towing. If so what is a good replacment for it.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jkstang78
Hey Tom, and everyone else. Well I have been driving the the lightning around and it has not had any problems. Just the one day. I'm going to take it that it just overheated and had to puke some fluid. I also thought that these trucks came with a trans cooler. Or is it that it is just to small for towing. If so what is a good replacment for it.
Any truck pre 2004 even with a tow package comes with a small trans cooler. I would recommend upgrading yours. I used one from a f250 SD that I ordered from Tasca Ford (a site sponser, Ph:800-915-3141 talk to Dominic he will know which one you need). Or there are a number of others that will work as well.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the info I will look into this now.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:55 PM
Did you have the OD off?
Bryan

Old 07-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by bglanden
Did you have the OD off?
Bryan

Yes and no. When I was on a flat strech of road. I would throw the o/d on. But when I was going up hills I would turn the o/d off. But this didn't happen untill I was on local streets and going from light ot light

I have not had a problem since. I have not also towed since. But regualr street driving the truck is fine.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:01 AM
you definitly should add a aux. trans cooler. you do allot of towing. you use this to tow your stang to the track too? trans cooler and maybe even and aux. trans filter. about $ 200 for an aux cooler or $4000 for a new tranny!
let me know if you need the trans shop number. guy is good, honest and a ford nut so you can trust him 100% with your truck. He has done a bunch of tranny work for my friends and myself and nothing but positive remarks.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Klitch
struck - you must not have seen the post i did AFTER the OP. it was a bunch of **** man, different font size changes and codes that did not work, font style changes, and was more like a story about american college or something if u tried to read it? sorry you didnt see what i seen and commented on. i was not bashing the op in any means.
No one has seen that post - so it might make sense to edit your original reply

and also STOP posting your sig EVERY TIME !!!

Quick Reply: Trans problem while towing. Need input